Old 03-20-2023, 05:18 PM

Default 1973 GTO Cluster in a 70-73 Firebird

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever installed a 1973 GTO gauge cluster in a 70-73 Firebird? Working on a 1971 Firebird that has the basic gauge cluster and came across a 73 GTO gauge cluster. Has the tach, oil, temp, and fuel and was thinking how hard it would be to swap over. If I update the sensors on the engine to gauge type, is it a matter of relocating the wires in the dash harness gauge cluster plug? Guess I need a wiring diagram or both setups maybe? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEGT 73 4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	609238  

Old 03-20-2023, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the one in the picture you posted is a column shift application. can you make it work??? yes is it going to look correct?? not to someone who knows better.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Bird harmonica will not work. Could be rewired. I'm not sure the edge mounts on the cluster are in the same location. Tried this 25 years ago, but IURC. the fit was more an issue than wiring.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think it's going to work as easy as I thought. Just realized 70-72 used a 12 prong plug and 73 started with the 16. So more modifying than what we would like to do.

Think best route would be to swap in an original tach since those are independent from the rest of the dash harness. And then install a map pocket mount with the 3 main gauges in there. Anyone done this ? Any feedback?

Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not put in a factory gauge set?

Old 03-22-2023, 02:18 PM

Great question. It's for my brother n laws car. He's trying to mix match what he has and he came across that 73 GTO cluster and was asking how hard it would be to install. Original cluster would be the way to go, that's what I did on mine. I think to get his engine started in the next couple weeks, the best thing for him is to install some aftermarket 2 1/16" gauges for temp, oil, and volts.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Silva,
Have been in the same position before. Suggestion, source an affordable '74-76 T/A rally guage cluster with a good tach & a bad printed circuit. You would be buying for a nice condition tach, & the soecific case. Next, cut out a domino sized piece with the rectangular brake light window area of the idiot light case from your brother's '71 idiot light case. Harbor Freight cutoff tool with thin cut off wheel will do it cleanly. Then weld that piece into cutout same area of the later F-body rally guage case. This gets you an early rally guage case. Next, order a new repro printed circuit board for a '70 early 72 T/A. Many times, originals are in poor shape & have to be replaced.

Closer to finish, bolt the '71's single window 160mph speedo into the modified later case. Might put out a wanted here on PY for a nice pre '75 Bird Rally Guage Gas & Temp Guage. Last, you are going to have to move some wires around on the stock '71 Bird dash wiring harness in order to convert to the "early T/A" rally guage style dash harness. Someone has detailed this here on PY before. If you buy the '74-76 ralky gauge cluster right, you might even get one with a decent lightly scratched original face lens so you won't have to buy a new lens.

All done, sell off the '73 column shift auto A-body Rally Guage cluster. It seems to be cosmetically in great shape, & should sell if the printed circuit is in good shape. Have sold numerous of those rally clusters that the coloring of the gauges & the printed circuits was nice. Have only one left, & though it's a floor shift version, the guage faces are faded, so it's basically worthless