Old 08-30-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On an Fbody I don't care for the dual muffler setup. Very difficult if not impossible to get any decent sized muffler (that I prefer to run) tucked up high enough that it isn't an eye sore or a road hazard.

Really no performance hit on the transverse if you run a good muffler designed like a Dynomax Ultraflow X, Pypes Race Pro etc.... where the inlets and outlets still have their own pipe going straight through the muffler. They get restrictive with the cheap "packed" mufflers which is what gives them that crackly sound.

I went back and forth with that stuff many years ago testing at the track and I can say without a doubt on a typical 400hp street car there is literally no difference at all between all the 2 1/2" systems. I've went back and forth with a Flowmaster kit too using their chamber transverse muffler using the old Force II system if you remember those. As restrictive as those mufflers are reported to be, there was no difference. I did a bunch of that testing on the same Firebird in the video above.

Now on a 600 or 700hp car there could be a difference, but on something like that I'd be running a 3" system anyway and that changes things.

Plenty of F.A.S.T. guys running the Pypes tranverse 2 1/2" kit per rules and running well into the 10 second area, and the PS guys use it a lot as well on many of the F and X bodies in the class, and are going quicker than most of us here in the street section.

I put one on that blue Firebird above that made over 500hp and sleep fine at night knowing it's not hurting the performance of that car.

But if in doubt, you could always opt for exhaust cutouts, put some electric doors on, and then bypass the whole thing when ever you wish by pushing a button. I have that deal on a few cars here and it's an absolute ball.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
On an Fbody I don't care for the dual muffler setup. Very difficult if not impossible to get any decent sized muffler (that I prefer to run) tucked up high enough that it isn't an eye sore or a road hazard.
everything FJ posted is great advice, but from my experience its not difficult or impossible to get dual mufflers to tuck up good & have decent ground clearance, also never had any type of road hazard with them on my 2nd gen cars.

the dynomax ultraflo & pypes race pros fit pretty good under these cars unless they are extremely low, my 72 is about 2" lower in front/rear with a full 3" pypes system using dual race pros, the pipes & mufflers are not an issue driving on crappy roads or pulling in/out of driveways & parking lots with big curbs, can also clear an average speed bump, the issue i have is the big 2" O-port headers collectors hanging too low for big curbs or speed bumps, but is ok on 99% of street driving at any speed or hard corners.

on my 78 with 2.5" system, dual slo-master 40 mufflers & ~1.5" lower front/rear has no problems in any situation street driving, the 1 3/4" hedman headers tuck up nicely & have balll/socket collectors with a rotatable flange so they have tons of clearance.

race pros are about 1/4-1/2" less thick than ultra flos so that allows a little more clearance but they are the same basic straight through muffler design, just a little bit different packing material so a slightly different sound.

any good muffler shop can install the system so its tucked up tight to the floor, if the car is stock or close to stock height i dont think there will be any clearance or road hazard problems with duals. but transverse systems are nice too but can make things pretty tight if you have to work by the tank or drop it.

Last edited by 78w72; 08-30-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is great info...thanks fellas!

I like the idea of going back to transverse especially if its going to be some time before I can fix her saggy arse...lol

Update: I miraculously made it all the way to the car-show without bottoming out...hopefully the old system hangs on until I can afford this upgrade!

Better put in an order sooner than later with all the wait times however.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post

I like the idea of going back to transverse especially if its going to be some time before I can fix her saggy arse...lol

Update: I miraculously made it all the way to the car-show without bottoming out...hopefully the old system hangs on until I can afford this upgrade!

for the time being you can use some bailing wire or other thin metal wire to lift & support the areas where its sagging. ive had to do that a few times over the years on rusty exhaust systems.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post

If on a budget I'd go for the Dynomax transverse system I linked.

I've always liked how that system fit and the fact it uses OEM in/out muffler configuration.

Make sure it's in stock though, and if it is, get an order in, because a few years ago when I needed one they were out of stock everywhere and they had no ETA as to when they were going to run another batch of them. Took about 6 months before they started showing up again. That was before all this nonsense started that we have going on now.
I've debated about buying one as an extra just to have around for when I need it so I don't have to deal with the out of stock syndrome again. As cheap as they are it's affordable enough to keep a spare.

Keep in mind that system is for header back setups so if you run exhaust manifolds you'll still need some down pipes. Pypes sells those separately. Just might take some finagling to mate them up being a different brand, and every engine is different as far as width/spacing. Usually on an exhaust manifold car, I just do the whole Pypes SGF70 system to save that headache.

Last edited by Formulajones; 08-30-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
for the time being you can use some bailing wire or other thin metal wire to lift & support the areas where its sagging. ive had to do that a few times over the years on rusty exhaust systems.
Its not moving at all - if it falls it'll seal my fate and credit card again...lol

Old 08-31-2022, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm lukewarm on the Pypes transverse system, as installed by me on my 1977 Trans Am. The tailpipes are absolutely horrid. No reason a splitter tip tailpipe could be marketed other than pure laziness. Also, the tailpipes interfere with the drivers side axle brake hose, and runs dangerously close to the main fuel line, also on the drivers side. Probably not an issue on the early 2nd gens, but a PITA for 1977 owners..

The sound and performance are the ONLY bright spots, as the tailpipes with the extra adapters for the splitter looks like warm crap.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default so this is happening...

the wait is finally over...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pyples.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	617673  

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 08-21-2023, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

just to close the loops...the Pypes fit perfect and she no longer bottoms out! Couldn't be more pleased so far...huge upgrade...thanks PY

going back to muff shop this weekend to install the tips hopefully...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au-5lZp5WKEl5dE0...VLtgg?e=8Og2A1

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 08-21-2023, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

snug like a bug in a rug... 🥓
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	muff2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	618560  

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 08-21-2023, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to hear

With just a little time spent they've always fit well for me on both X-bodies and 2 generations of F-bodies.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally got my off center deecal straightened out...was driving me crazy lol

Also got the longer tips and clamps changed to the band type which looks way better...i thought the tips would be slightly longer however but I already returned the shorter set and these were the longest they had so I give up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dcal.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	621123   Click image for larger version

Name:	tips1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	621124   Click image for larger version

Name:	tips2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	621125  

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 10-06-2023, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they look perfect - I gather they are mot blackening the inside of the valence?

Old 10-06-2023, 12:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks scare... Not yet but white car prolly not so great for that

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350