The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-09-2023, 03:24 PM

Default 1979 Trans Am t top weatherstrip channel

I just bought a '79 TA SE with fisher t tops. The roof is rusty around the tops. I bought a replacement top but have not located any replacement weatherstrip channels. Anyone have a source for those? They go between the roof support and the roof skin and hold the weatherstrip in place. Thanks for any help find some.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

theres a few on the bay... even an nos one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...annel&_sacat=0

Old 02-10-2023, 03:13 PM

those are all a pillar channel. I need the part that goes all the way around and is between the roof frame and the roof skin. thanks for the help though.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry guess im not sure what part you mean. fisher t tops dont have any extra weatherstrip channels on the roof, the weatherstrips glue directly to the roof metal.
there are 2 very small curved sheet metal pieces that screw to the roof at the "U" curve area to tuck the the w/s under but they arent channels nor go all the way around.

do you mean the vertical pieces that go down the rear B pillars? if so they are also available from a few places doing a quick google search.

can you post a pic of this channel that goes all the way around the roof?

Old 02-11-2023, 11:57 AM

Just replacing the weatherstrip you would think that where the weatherstrip is glued is part of the roof as I did when I started to remove the rusted roof skin. The part where the weatherstrip slips into the groove is actually a separate part from the roof skin. There is the roof frame then this weatherstrip channel then the roof skin all spot welded together all the way around the opening. I have a piece of this channel at a sheet metal shop now to see if they can duplicate it. You can buy a replacement roof skin but does not come with the channel. I've been told that restoration shops have had to have it made or possibly they were able to save the one on the car. Mine was rusted and couldn't be saved. I was hoping that someone has had theirs replaced and maybe the shop had some extras made. And before anyone tells me to take it to a restoration shop to have the roof replaced don't bother as I do everything myself with the exception of special machine work. You can look at the roof panel on Ames site part #FH703G and see that there is no weatherstrip holding parts on it. I will try to post pictures later. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:39 PM

My 79 has the same problem and I'm patching those areas with sheet metal that I'm forming myself. I have a small HF sheet metal brake and bought the Eastwood shrinker/stretcher dies and so far have been able to re-create what I need. I have this area and a few small ones left to weld in and then will test fit the weatherstrip and the top.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221226_085317.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	607040   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221226_085309.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	607041   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221226_085313.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	607042  

Old 02-11-2023, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

would like to see a pic of this separate channel youre referring to, guess im not understanding what you mean.

heres a pic of a fisher t top roof weatherstrip channels on one of my cars i recently repainted & installed new weatherstrips on... i removed the originals & there is no separate channel for the w/s, just the small metal piece i mentioned that screws into the roof at the corners to tuck the w/s under, the rest of the t top w/s just glues directly to the roof channel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3480.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	607043  

Old 02-11-2023, 01:53 PM

If you look at your picture you can see the lip that goes all the way around the opening where the weatherstrip tucks into. I see the parts in the corner that you are talking about but I'm talking about the part that goes all the way around the opening, That part is not part of the roof skin. Had I known that before I started to remove the roof skin I would have saved as much as I could and only had to replace a small section on each side. My next life I will not make as many mistakes.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if its not part of the roof itself it sure does look like one piece, its all welded or formed together as one with no visible seams etc.

ive cut off a few t tops roofs to sell & everything was one complete part.... im not aware of this separate channel youre describing being repro'd or originals being sold. best of luck locating it.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:17 PM

Randy. Looks like your not replacing the entire roof skin like I am is that correct?

Old 02-11-2023, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The weatherstrip does not tuck into a channel except on the rear pillar. I does tuck under the additional pieces screwed in the corners, that is it. My 78 I've had since new and pulled the weatherstrips on a repaint in '88. The 81 came with them not glued down after a repaint from previous owner.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 02-11-2023, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
The weatherstrip does not tuck into a channel except on the rear pillar. I does tuck under the additional pieces screwed in the corners, that is it. My 78 I've had since new and pulled the weatherstrips on a repaint in '88. The 81 came with them not glued down after a repaint from previous owner.
i agree with what youre describing, thats what i found when repainting my lower original miles (25k) 81 t/a as well as the roofs ive cut off, the w/s just glues to the roof channel itself & the lip at the inside edge is part of the roof.

but what i think hes saying is that the inner "lip" that goes all the way around the roof channel is a separate piece? i dont see that when looking at mine, its all part of the roof & was never sold as a separate piece from GM, nor is it a repro'd part.

curious to see pics of what exactly this part or area is...

Old 02-12-2023, 10:10 AM

My car had a lip that went all around the opening that the weatherstrip went in. This is at the open side of the opening not the back side. My car did not have the pieces in the corners to tuck the weatherstrip under. Who knows what the previous owner did. Most of what he did wasn't good. I have some pics on my phone and in downloads folder on my computer but haven't had any luck posting them. Looking at the pics Randy posted I do not see the lip but on W78's pic I can see it. Looking at that pic where the paint scraper is on the roof I can see the lip I am talking about. On my car that is not part of the roof and does not come with a new roof skin. I managed to remove part of the roof skin that lays on top of the part with that lip which that part lays on top of the roof frame and is all spot welded together. Once painted it all looks to be one piece and part of the roof. I have a couple pieces of the part I am talking about at a sheet metal shop I may go back there and pick up tomorrow. I may just glue the weatherstrip down and put those corner pieces in and save a lot of money.I think I managed to get the pics up and a drawing of what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	607072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	607073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	607074  

Old 02-12-2023, 10:21 AM

The 2nd pic you can see a piece of what I am talking about with the roof skin removed and the weatherstrip channel still there. The new roof skin is is shown but not in position yet. The first pic you can see the frame and a section of the channel still there but croup up as I cut the spot welds that hold it to the frame. I do not have a piece of the channel separate to take a pic of as I took them to the sheet metal shop. When you say you cut an entire roof of before I assume that would be to replace an old rusty roof or to change to a t top roof. When I have seen that done they cut frame and all to be welded on another car. It's not the same as removing the roof skin to be replaced. I hope my drawing helps.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

still not sure what or why yours is different than all the other fisher roofs ive seen. the w/s channel or lip is part of the roof skin/structure, i dont recall noticing any welded seam for that area. heres the rest of the pics i have from doing the new seals on my 81, not sure if they show anything more but you can see it all looks to be 1 part, or if its 2 parts welded together theres no signs of a weld bead or pinched together from 2 parts. maybe the new roof skin you have assumes the w/s channel is intact & in good shape?

also in your 2nd pic, you can see the lip the w/s tucks under, its just full of gunk... not sure how far that goes back but its there in that pic. you definitely need the small corner parts to help hold the seal in right but the rest of the lip channel is needed too, not sure how well the strips will hold up without them or the rest of the lip to tuck them under.

for the seals, i would avoid the metro brand of t top seals, they dont fit right in the corners & can/will allow water to collect between the seal & the roof in that area. i went with soffseal brand, they fit much better but are a little thicker so the glass tops sit up about 1/8 higher, as they compress that does get better.

probably best to buy a complete roof cut off at the pillars in good shape that has all the lip there. i sold the roofs i took off for a few hundred bucks each but that was 5-10 years ago, im sure they cost a little more today or from the bigger sellers out there that overcharge for parts. hope you get it sorted out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3481.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	607077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3482.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	607078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	607079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	607080  

Old 02-12-2023, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
The 2nd pic you can see a piece of what I am talking about with the roof skin removed and the weatherstrip channel still there. The new roof skin is is shown but not in position yet. The first pic you can see the frame and a section of the channel still there but croup up as I cut the spot welds that hold it to the frame. I do not have a piece of the channel separate to take a pic of as I took them to the sheet metal shop. When you say you cut an entire roof of before I assume that would be to replace an old rusty roof or to change to a t top roof. When I have seen that done they cut frame and all to be welded on another car. It's not the same as removing the roof skin to be replaced. I hope my drawing helps.
yes when people change to t top roofs or need to replace from damage or rust, they usually cut them at the pillars & weld them in, pretty much at the seam where the factory joined the roof to the quarters, very common to do it that way as opposed to just the skin.

i see the area youre talking about but from the cars ive seen its all one piece, if its 2 sections welded together i never noticed that, but unfortunately i know that part is not reproduced or was ever sold new from GM. best bet is your shop to make new ones... or buy a complete roof cut off a donor car.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:54 AM

The lip in the 2nd pic is what I'm talking about. There is only about 5 inches or so that was not removed. With the headliner removed I think you might be able to see the spot welds where it is all welded together. It is a separate piece but doesn't look like it is until you take it all apart to replace the roof skin. I'll figure something out. Thanks for your help. I have had good results with soft seal products so will probably get those for the roof.

The Following User Says Thank You to bsblguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have replaced this part. Most don't, they do the whole roof. I am sure franks has a rust free roof section you can remove the spot welds from.
https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/u...rdtransam2.htm

Old 02-13-2023, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It almost looks like the lip the inside plastic channel clips on for the headliner. Neither of mine looked like that maybe previous roof replacement.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 02-14-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
Randy. Looks like your not replacing the entire roof skin like I am is that correct?
That's correct, the channel is crusty but the top skin is mostly ok.

Randy