Old 02-20-2023, 05:49 PM

Default Who makes the reproduction sheetmetal for 69 Lemans ?

Hi Guys,, just about to start on a full chassis off restoration on a 69 Lemans convertible. I have had a general look at a couple of suppliers on Ebay and well as some on the net. My Q? is, Who makes the repro sheetmetal? quality? and who is the best supplier on the west coast? TIA.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Repro fenders are some of the most ill fitting repro junk sheetmetal ever sold for a Pontiac. They were introduced in early 90's, then reintroduced about 15 years ago. Same ill fitting crap. Solution for fenders is repair what you have, or source the nicest used original fenders you can come up with.

No repro Tempest/LeMans hood. Many buy the Goodmark GTO hoods, I've ordered a few & brought them in for friends driver builds. The repro hood was developed by Goidmark, but they are also boxed at the same mfg'er overseas as a Dynacorn product. Supplier of mine witnessed that. Several issues, ironing board is not as defined as on an original hood. some fit issues that have to be remedied when installing original hood scoops. Last, for '69-70 usage, the repro hood has to be modified in the front center bracing area with a small piece fit in from an original '69-70 hood. Otherwise the repro as stamped front under hood bracing rubs the top of the '69 or 70 fan shroud.

'69 core support... Read Dataway's complete write up here on PY on the mods that have to performed due to the lower rail being installed at the wrong angle.

1/4 panels. Not sure who brought out the first partial (hip) 1/4's for the 2 door hardtop/Post . They were out in '88 or so. My first encounter w the hip 1/4's was with a very detail oriented local metal man & he struggled w them going on a '68. The full reproduction hardtop 1/4s have been out 15-20 years. Pretty decent panels, from ones I've examined during installation. Issues around lwr corner of rear window. Goodmark was the source. Any 2 door hardtop 1/4 will have to be carefully cut down & spliced into the top section of the original convertible 1/4 panel. In the instance that the tops of convertible 1/4's are heavily damaged, there is a solution, but will require sourcing full length convertible 1/4 tops from a lower rusty convertible.

Floorpans ... Comes down to the level of the restoration. Most expensive option can be full floor pan replacement. I've cut flawless rust free floor pans out of partcars. Not that easy, but we had to have it. A very nice reproduction full floor pan was introduced 5-6 years ago, there are some issues that have to be addressed. Believe the one I examined was marketed by Dynacorn.

Trunk pans.. a full trunk floor was introduced several years back. Doing a frame off, makes a lot of sense. I personally hate the cheap 3 piece trunk floors. Have received many a call "what am I doing wrong?" with the 3piece Taiwan trunk replacement pieces.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 02-20-2023 at 08:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr. Head offers an outstanding testimony.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief