Old 02-23-2023, 12:22 AM

Default Station wagon dual exhaust

Where are you turning your exhaust out at…side or back? I have a 66 Catalina wagon that I’m going to install some myself on and pondering ideas or curious to see some pictures.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's what ever is appealing to the owner, just personal preference. The car may dictate somewhat depending on the room you have.

On the Nomad I ran it to the back with a slight turn down that is angle toward the sides by the rear bumper that is only slightly visible, very similar to how the factory did it, for a nice clean appearance.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-23-2023, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The part of the system up until the rear axle is pretty much standard to a coupe or a sedan. the tailpipes on wagons are usually different because of the position of fuel tank, and spare tire well.

My 7i-74 455 wagons used a tailpipe that turned both left, and right side out the drivers side because of the spare tire well hung down too much to run under, or around it. GM designed the system so that the 2 inch pipes stacked on top of each other and were compacted, formed, and welded together to look like a single 3 inch pipe tip. The dual system was much better than trying to send all the exhaust from a 455 through a single system. Helped with fuel mileage, as well as performance.

On a wagon that has the ability to run with the rear tailgate window open, you usually want to run it out the side, so that the exhaust doesn't come in the rear window while it's open while driving. A conventional rear exit under the bumper has a tendency to be pulled into the car with the rear window open. One of the reasons some wagons had an air deflector at the end of the roof was to make an air curtain along the tailgate to further keep the turbulent air zone from pushing air/exhaust into the opened rear window.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 04:54 PM

Sirrotica, exactly what I was kind of worried about was my factory fuel tank that still lives in the rear quarter panel. A guy wants to keep exhaust away from that. The car didn't have the exhaust still on it, so I didn't really have anything to compare to. I'll have to get it up on the lift and find a way to turn it out near the back...because you make a good point about the rear window. Mine is an electric one and currently doesn't work (haven't had time to trouble shoot), but it is something I'd like to get working.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s a fresh exhaust on a ‘64 wagon. (not mine ) Gas tank on the left, tire well on the right. By the time the exhaust gets that far, I wouldn’t worry about heat. Not a fan of pipes out the back unless they are tucked up and turn down at the bumper.

Added pic of factory exhaust for a ‘63 Safari for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0AF4E229-6F62-4CB0-8CB4-7B68EAC1A2E5.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	607742   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFC06BE8-1C56-4D03-8A84-9C46AD71FEA1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	607743  

Old 02-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to avoid the pick up truck look but it appears you don't have much room to play with back there.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree that as long as the pipe is not tight to the tank the exhaust is no longer hot enough to affect the fuel tank. All the manufacturers ran tailpipes on wagons close to the fuel tank, but left an air gap to act as a buffer for heat transfer.

Many FWD cars run the exhaust within an inch or two of the fuel tanks, with no negative effects. The further the exhaust gets away from the engine the cooler it becomes. As long as the pipe is directed away from the tank you'll be fine. If you're still worried, a tin shield between the two surfaces will stop 95% of the heat transfer. Double wall pipe for wood burning stoves has a 1 inch clearance requirement to a combustible surface. Catalytic convertors use a tin shield to stop heat transfer, and they are much hotter than a tailpipe will ever get.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-23-2023, 08:25 PM

The pipes on my 63 exit right behind the rear tires, as shown in the pics attached.
I think sirrotica is correct about the location to keep exhaust from being drawn in through the open rear window. I don't think the gas tank location is an issue.
Sorry about the picture orientation....

James Q
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63wagonpipes1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	607756   Click image for larger version

Name:	63wagonpipes2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	607757  

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesq For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Vega wagon I'm working on now is very similar. Spare tire well on one side and the gas tank is offset. Vastly different from the Nomad where everything is centered and relatively straight forward to run tailpipes.

So I'm modifying. Removed the useless small 11 gallon gas tank, and cut out the small spare tire well. Cut the gas tank strap holders off and made a new "flat" floor that now accepts a 20 gallon EFI Tanks Inc for an F-body that I can center, giving me room to tuck up tailpipes behind both quarter panels.

Sometimes ya just have to go to extremes to get what you want.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Here’s a fresh exhaust on a ‘64 wagon. (not mine ) Gas tank on the left, tire well on the right. By the time the exhaust gets that far, I wouldn’t worry about heat. Not a fan of pipes out the back unless they are tucked up and turn down at the bumper.

Added pic of factory exhaust for a ‘63 Safari for reference.
Thanks for the pics...now that I see that factory one, I do think I recall where the hanger was towards the back and where the exhaust would have exited.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I try to avoid the pick up truck look but it appears you don't have much room to play with back there.
Is the pickup truck look to you when the duals exit out the rear, or to the side?

Old 02-23-2023, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
Is the pickup truck look to you when the duals exit out the rear, or to the side?
I was referring to how they come straight out the side right behind the back tires, much like pickup trucks, but in the instance of that wagon, there just doesn't appear to be any room there to do much else.

On the nomads they have more room to play with the spare tire well and gas tank centered, so when I put this exhaust together I extended the tailpipes to the rear bumper, hidden inside the quarters and then turned them down with a slight angle towards the side. You can see them with it up in the air. On the ground they are hardly visible at all unless you're looking for them.

I'm doing the Vega wagon very similar now that I've redesigned the back of the car to center everything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	607763  

Old 02-23-2023, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Straight out the back has a huge drawback. Ground clearance.
Because a wagon dragging it's tail at an entrance to a parking
lot just ain't cool. The further back the exhaust goes, the worse
the clearance gets.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
Where are you turning your exhaust out at…side or back? I have a 66 Catalina wagon that I’m going to install some myself on and pondering ideas or curious to see some pictures.
Wagon exhaust came out on sides from the factory and the pipes have to extend slightly beyond the body panels.

This is a factory dual exhaust car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64 Safari in Buffalo.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	607775  

Old 02-24-2023, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 66 9 passenger wagon had the tailpipes exit right behind the wheel on each side under the quarter panel. The drawing posted from the 63 shop manual is a good guide. My car was a 421 HO. There was plenty of room for 2 1/2" pipes all the way including the tailpipes, which is what I used. Ran my car that way 19 years. Looked and sounded good.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 10:54 PM

Formula, I see what you're saying. I like the looks, but yeah my wagon just limits that ability. Nice shop by the way!

Old 03-02-2023, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried to explain that in a way that wasn't insulting so didn't mean to come across negative if that's what it sounded like. All wagons are cool with me no matter how the exhaust is configured