Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-09-2023, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just wanted to say thank you. After reading this post, I checked which one I supplied my engine builder with and it was the wrong one, so I've now ordered the Best type.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

Is it possible to install the Best Gasket rope seal without removing the crank?

Old 03-19-2023, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

this is the second time this week i have seen this question. In my opinion, it likely is possible as many have said they have done it. Also my opinion, is its so much work to get to that point, i would rather do a bit more work and pull the crank and seat the block portion of the seal wo the crank in the way.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 03-19-2023, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^And you get to have a look at how the bearings are doing at the same time.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If people do get a rope seal installed with the block in the car and the crank still in then the upper half of the seal must be adding a huge amount of fiction to the crank because you are using the crank to form the seal into the block groove instead of using a big socket or a big enough diameter of steel pipe.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

I took the advice and pulled the crank (1st timer) to do it hopefully right the first time.

But,,, when I lifted the crank some of the rod bearings stuck to the crank unknowingly and then fell off so not sure which bearing is for which rod. Big deal or little deal? Do I need to replace them now?

Car had about an hour breakin time on a stand before I bought it and I have put 13 passes on it.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem.
Just make sure they go in the correct way.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-22-2023, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you look at the bearings that got mixed carefully, they should have a break-in pattern on them now. It may take a little time, but if you study them carefully, you will be able to match them back up. Also, as mentioned, depending on the brand and series of rod bearings, they may have an upper and lower bearing shell. They will have an L, (lower) or a U, (upper), after the part number on the back of the shell. The upper and lower halves have a chamfer on one edge of the shell and not the other. Most aftermarket crankshafts use these bearings for clearance against the large fillet radius.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Concerning replacing the rope seal with the crankshaft in the engine. Yes it can be done and I have done it dozens of times. How does the repair do? Not the greatest IMO. When I worked at the Pontiac dealer as a tech it was a different time. Pontiac engines were well known as oil leakers as well as their cousin, the Oldsmoibile . Small oil leaks were considered "normal" just like a Harley Davidson or a Jaguar. I replaced 13 oil pan gaskets/rear main seals in 1 week at the dealership. Could do them in the car in 2-3 hours. Would take me all day now to do 1. The process was to form a new seal half in the cap first. Then carefully remove it and cut it into 1/2' sections. Then use a specially made brass punch formed from instructions in the factory service manual and gently mash the OLD rope seal into the block groove with this punch from both ends. Then insert the new 1/2" sections in the groove and mash therm in with the punch. You could generally mash 2-3 1/2" sections into the upper groove. Trim the ends with a razor. Then install a new rope seal half in the cap and put the thing back together. That was the "official Pontiac" method for replacing the rear main seal in the car. How did it work? For the time period, pretty decent. It would knock a big leak down to a few drips. That was considered good enough in those days. About 1/2 of them would be leak free. I wouldn't do one this way today unless there was a reason to not remove the engine and really do it correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys for all the thoughts, comments and advice. Crank is out and hopefully the seal will be back in and the bottom half back together next week!

Old 03-23-2023, 12:14 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks for the historical perspective Mike!

Old 03-23-2023, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
. The process was to form a new seal half in the cap first. Then carefully remove it and cut it into 1/2' sections. Then use a specially made brass punch formed from instructions in the factory service manual and gently mash the OLD rope seal into the block groove with this punch from both ends. Then insert the new 1/2" sections in the groove and mash therm in with the punch. You could generally mash 2-3 1/2" sections into the upper groove. Trim the ends with a razor. Then install a new rope seal half in the cap and put the thing back together. That was the "official Pontiac" method for replacing the rear main seal in the car. .
I did exactly that repair, back in the day. I made my own tool from a piece of brass round bar stock; to the dimensions given in the service manual. It worked pretty good.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 03-23-2023, 11:35 AM
Boost Engineer

Sun Tuned and his dad made me a similar tool, Eric, many years ago.
Makes the job easier for sure.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Surprised no one has mentioned the old Chinese finger tool. Being a flat rate mechanic for years, that was how I did it. Had pretty good luck with it. You turn the crank as you pull it through and cut the ends. Came with a tool to screw into the old seal to pull it out.
No, I would not do my own motor that way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F65CE75C-7CCB-4B21-BE80-D872B8A5BE89.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	609511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE6D1FDC-808E-47D8-8D60-404DCCF6D0EE.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	609512  

Old 03-23-2023, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned the old Chinese finger tool. Being a flat rate mechanic for years, that was how I did it. Had pretty good luck with it. You turn the crank as you pull it through and cut the ends. Came with a tool to screw into the old seal to pull it out.
No, I would not do my own motor that way!
I actually used one of those years ago I had no luck lots of aggravation and then pulled the engine out. That was back in my late teens so I might have better luck with one now.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since your motor has been run the rod bearings should have left a imprint of what is stamped on there back side in the rod cap or the rod big end if you look close.

This should at least help you to get the upper or lower bearings back where they where.

A clear reading non smeared imprint is also a very good sign that you have the as needed bearing crush and your bearings are not moving around .

Old 03-23-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw one years ago that looked like it had a small cork screw on the end of a wire where you could pull the old seal out and push it around to pull a new one in.Never knew if it worked.Tom