Old 03-21-2023, 05:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default Cowl to rocker transition

Is the rocker suppose to have an open drain hole near the front, or is it only in the rear where the rear rubber flapper is?

Or maybe another way to ask it is, if you are flushing the cowl with a garden hose, where should you see the water exiting the rocker? If there are other drains besides the rubber flapper, how big were they?

Old 03-21-2023, 06:25 PM
Suspended

There's about 4 tiny evenly spaced holes on the underside. If hose is sprayed too strongly it will simply run down the inner wall and out the kick panel holes, one way to find out how good the seals are.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:17 PM
Senior Chief

My passenger side has an approx 1/2 inch hole right where the cowl dumps into the rocker. The hole doesn't look like a rust hole so maybe someone drilled it. The driver side has a rust hole in the same location. But I always just guessed the front hole got plugged and then rotted till it drained.

But having read about the flush and dry rockers it didn't make sense to me that it would drain in the front.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Front of rocker has bent over triangle shaped " tabs" . These are sealed with seam sealer. As mentioned there are 4 tiny " drain holes" along the bottom. The drain is in rear with the rubber flaps.
That said, the rocker sits LOWER in the rear to help with that.
Also PRESSURE from the base of the windshield pushes air down to the interior vents (through the air horns) and into rockers as the Fisher body " FLUSH and Dry" system. This was designed to dry out rockers when driving on a nice day.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:22 PM
Senior Chief

With the rain in Southern California these past two months I have been getting plenty of flush. That is for sure.

In the quest for dry carpet after a drive in the rain, I have strip caulked lots of bits, and tested with a garden hose, but driving in heavy rain always get the driver side carpet wet. A couple of days ago I noticed that it happened only after driving through a huge puddle of water that was collected in a dip. The type that causes a 3 feet wake of water. The water came in from the rocker area about 12 inches in front of the seatbelt area, I am now reckoning that larger splashes are coming into the rocker through the rust created opening in the front and overfilling the rocker which then pours out into the cabin.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:55 PM
Suspended

The kick panel is a typical source of leak if it hasn't been sealed to the body opening.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
The kick panel is a typical source of leak if it hasn't been sealed to the body opening.
I recently changed my A/C driver side kick panel for a non A/C kick panel for the vent door. Sealed it up real good with 3m strip caulk and tested with a garden hose. The first test I found a screw was wicking in water. Added butyl to all screws and it was water tight.

Then I added roof drip rails. Bruce gave some great advice on the strip caulk there too. So far that hasn't leaked.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

I found the leak. The driver lower door seal is letting water past it and it is trickling down by the door jamb switch and into the kick panel molding where it covers the vertical seam. It then runs down to the inner rocker and onto the foot well.
Sitting in the car with a squeeze bottle of water with the driver window down and a good flashlight is how I found it. After writing the previous post I decided the check the roof drip rails again by running water down then. That's when I saw water dripping into foot well. Opening the door I could see where the water got past the door seal. I temporarily added strip caulk under the door seal where it got past and that solved the leak.

I think I will wait for it to all dry and use some 3m weather strip adhesive to glue to seal to the door.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 AM
Suspended

Do you have the 11 pages of the seam sealing guide, the one I've posted before is from 78, includes kick panels and drop rails?

Old 03-23-2023, 09:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
Do you have the 11 pages of the seam sealing guide, the one I've posted before is from 78, includes kick panels and drop rails?
No. I have one you posted in my roof rail thread but it didn't have kick panels in it. Do you have a link?

Old 03-23-2023, 10:03 PM
Suspended

http://www.transamcountry.com/commun...sg4801#msg4801

Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the link! I printed this out to add to my assembly manual.