Old 03-23-2023, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 69 GTO front valence

Is there a trick to getting this off? It looks like you have to unbolt the parking lights from the back, but I can’t get my hands in there.

I have the obvious bolts off on the bottom and side and see where there are more but I can’t figure out how to get access?

What am I missing?

Old 03-23-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

prepare for pretzel wrist, then you'll be screwed if the fasteners are rusted badly with soft metal on fender or valence because you can twist and the bolt area gives out ripping and turning trashing everything which is what typically happens. or, if you're down south I think you just breathe hard on the bolts and they fall off with ease (I'm from Western NY so I envy everything the southern guys post as "lost causes" !!

anyways, there's 4 bolts holding it to each fender through fold over tabs. the two upper ones you need to jamb your hand up through that small cut out.

there's also a bolt behind the front license plate area in the middle holding it to the horn brace you might have missed. original fasteners are the coarse thread bolts through the split j nut clips. you'd use a 1/2" socket on so they will break loose if not too rusted solid. never put those back together with the later 5/16-18 threaded bolts, no need for that kind of clamping force there and way too dangerous to get back apart once that rusts. (again, more NE area words of warning!)

your best bet is to get the two valence lights out first. they're one nut on each side holding the squeeze bracket on to the light (again, prone to breaking off) more pretzel twisting to get at those too, but once those are out you can get at those two upper bolts on the fenders easier since you can see them that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 valence.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	609510  

Last edited by gto4evr; 03-23-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 1969 Assembly Manual is extremely helpful for that kind of stuff. Even us Southern guys have to break it out every once in a while!

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 06:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the info looks like it is only the two upper bolts connecting to the fender on each side I am missing

Old 03-29-2023, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those bolts are easy to get to.....no need to remove the park lamps.
take a 1/4 inch ratchet and short socket and stick your hand through the openings underneath on each end. If your hands are too big, get somebody with smaller hands to do it for you.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Senior Chief

Use a 3\8 drive long extension and a 1/2" swivel socket for the two top side bolts. Done it for years!
No need to stick your hand in that hole. Which good luck unless you have small hands.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried that and could not get them to budge. I ended up wrapping it on the car. It’s rusty so when I order a new one I will be able to lube the bolts up. Thank you for the suggestion