Old 03-26-2023, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default headlights

Hello, I have a 1967 GTO with the factory headlights. As most know they are not very good at night. I would like to upgrade to brighter lights. LED or something. I do not want to spend a fortune doing this. Can someone recommend some good inexpensive headlights that will be bright at night. I do not want to have to damage the headlight housing to fit the new lights.
thanks in advance
alan

Old 03-26-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just put my T3 headlights on high....

Old 03-26-2023, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The halogen headlights are the next step up from stock. I find them to be fine in most night driving conditions. Do your headlights produce white light, or do they seem reddish or dim? The factory wiring and switch can cause the headlights to be dim if the wiring connections are corroded or damaged. Also check the headlight grounds, there is one on either side of the car. Also make sure the system voltage is 13.8-14.7 when running, low alternator output or bad cables can make the lights dim too.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
The Following User Says Thank You to chiphead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I kept hoping the Holley direct fit LED lights would come down in price. They supposedly fit with no mods and put out very good light. Alas, they haven't come down and the price to me is excessive.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before changing lights you should try putting n a really kit, it puts direct 12 volts to light instead of about 10.5 after going thru switch etc.
I just have cheapy non halogen lamps and the relay made a lot of difference. Either build your really kit yourself or by a kit either on eBay or Amazon.
Ebay 234907695011 or Amazon. Painless wiring kit https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30814..

I used the headlamp dimmer switch output to headlamps to trigger the relays, and made my own wiring harness using new headlamp pigtails
from any part store, bought some packard wire terminals, and wired it in. amazing difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad lamps.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	609731  

Old 03-26-2023, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I simply use the conversion housings sold all over on Amazon for about $20 a piece that accept the H4 LED replacement bulbs.

For LED's I prefer the Lightening Dark LED's also sold on Amazon for about $50 a pair. After using several they are the only one's I've come across that project a very nice beam.

So for about $100 you can have very bright LED headlights that work fantastic.

I've converted the Chevelle, the Firebird, the Camaro, my sons Mustang, dad's GTO, and will likely do the Nomad and the Vega at some point. No modifications necessary on any of these cars.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a relay on Halogens and it puts out decent light. But I'm getting older, and night driving is different than it once was. I also think we lose some tolerance for the lesser lighting with more exposure to the much better lighting of the newer vehicles that most of us drive most often.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
I use a relay on Halogens and it puts out decent light. But I'm getting older, and night driving is different than it once was. I also think we lose some tolerance for the lesser lighting with more exposure to the much better lighting of the newer vehicles that most of us drive most often.
Yep and that's the whole reason I've converted most of the old cars here. We drive them a lot and night driving as you get older, as some know, isn't as easy as it once was.

May as well join the club, all the new cars on the roads these days use LED's.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will eventually. I just was holding out for the simple way to become at least a little more affordable.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:45 PM

I’ve put headlight relays on 3 different vehicles, all showed a big improvement even with old bulbs. I believe sealed beam bulbs get dimmer the older they get, perhaps just changing out the bulbs will get you what you want. Multiple companies make higher output halogen sealed beams, i have Sylvania Silverstars on my LeMans. I really like the light output and prefer halogen to HID because of the warmer color. I find the white light of an HID to be harsh.

Another thing you can do is disassemble the light switch, if I remember right it’s just a sliding brass bar that hits other contacts, just clean off the contacts and bar and lube it with dielectric grease.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:09 PM

I cleaned all my contacts and checked the grounds before putting in halogen bulbs for my low beams. Still running T3 for the high beams. It's working OK so far for my 68 y.o. eyes.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
I will eventually. I just was holding out for the simple way to become at least a little more affordable.
I know what you mean, especially with too many cars. I didn't do it for the longest time because of cost. Some of those kits are just down right crazy on prices, and too many options like halo stuff that I don't ever care to use, or look at on a classic car.

Tons of searching and trial and error led me to the conversion housings, which can also be expensive, but I found them on Amazon at affordable prices.

Here are the 7" I use, and they also sell the 5 3/4"

https://www.amazon.com/IPCW-CWC-7006...%2C118&sr=8-31

Then I tried 5 or 6 different H4 LED's and was just never happy with the light projection and the high beams never made a difference. I fooled around with that for a long time and probably spent more $ than I care to admit until I finally landed on Lightening Dark LED's and that was the ticket for us. Nice beam projection and the high beam actually works.

https://www.amazon.com/LIGHTENING-DA...s%2C135&sr=8-2

Hope that helps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll check into it. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2023, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went with Hector's LED kit...much brighter.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	609769  

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-26-2023, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those Sealed Beams are quite fine, just need to run the Headlamp Ground wires to the alternator case.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Before changing lights you should try putting n a really kit, it puts direct 12 volts to light instead of about 10.5 after going thru switch etc.
I just have cheapy non halogen lamps and the relay made a lot of difference. Either build your really kit yourself or by a kit either on eBay or Amazon.
No. With the alternator charging, relays would put 14-ish volts to the headlights. VERY recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Touring View Post
I’ve put headlight relays on 3 different vehicles, all showed a big improvement even with old bulbs. I believe sealed beam bulbs get dimmer the older they get, perhaps just changing out the bulbs will get you what you want. Multiple companies make higher output halogen sealed beams, i have Sylvania Silverstars on my LeMans. I really like the light output and prefer halogen to HID because of the warmer color. I find the white light of an HID to be harsh.

Another thing you can do is disassemble the light switch, if I remember right it’s just a sliding brass bar that hits other contacts, just clean off the contacts and bar and lube it with dielectric grease.
I completely agree about the color temperature of halogen vs. HID lights. Blue headlights make me crazy. Blue is not a good color for headlights. Years ago, the French mandated yellow headlights because the eye is more sensitive to yellowish light than blueish light.

Once the relays are in place, the headlight switch controls the low-amperage draw of the relay, not the higher load of the headlights. The switch should be just fine as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Those Sealed Beams are quite fine, just need to run the Headlamp Ground wires to the alternator case.
The LAST thing I'd do is to install bottom-feeder, Made-in-Communist China aftermarket headlights. Aside from the fact that they're illegal, they're a glare-causing disaster that may be "bright", but often cannot focus properly, depending on how they're made. There's nothing wrong with sealed-beam headlights provided they're in good condition, supplied with enough power, and aimed properly.

Sealed-beam headlights absolutely get dimmer with age. Some of this is due to corrosion on the reflector. The headlights I took off my '88 K1500 truck had reflectors that corroded so badly that lots of light was escaping out the rear of sealed-beam unit.

Start the engine. Verify alternator voltage at 14+ volts.

Then check voltage TO the headlights, at the headlight connector, with the headlights ON. First Guess: 11+ volts. About 3 volts of voltage drop in that circuit.

Check voltage on the ground wire, at the headlight connector. Anywhere from 0 to 1 volt is common, but anything over "0" is too much. Over 1 volt is terrible. Any voltage on the ground side is SUBTRACTED from the voltage on the positive side. So if you have 11.5 volts on the positive side, and 1 volt on the ground, the headlights are operating on 10.5 volts.

Headlights are rated for brightness at 12.8 volts. If you don't have 12.8 volts across the headlights, they're more-dim than they're supposed to be.

Headlights are rated for service life at 13.2, or 14 volts, depending on the source you use. Higher voltage reduces service life, and 5% over-voltage reduces service life by 20%.

Headlights operating on 14 volts are WAY brighter than headlights operating on 12.8 volts...which are way brighter than headlights operating on 10.5 or 11 volts.

The only thing I don't like about the "relay kits" is that they generally use fuses to protect the circuit, and the wire gauge is excessively large.

The low-beam headlights should be protected with a 10-amp SELF-RESETTING circuit breaker, while the high-beams would use a 15-amp SELF-RESETTING circuit breaker.

16 gauge wire is acceptable in this application. Stock wiring would be much longer, with additional connection points, low beam at 18 gauge, and high beam at 16 gauge. With relays, the wire length is shorter, there's fewer connections to corrode, and the wire isn't fifty years old. 16-gauge is perfectly adequate.

Clean or replace the ground wire/ground connections as needed. The closer you can get to "0" voltage on the ground wire, the better.

AND THEN AIM THE HEADLIGHTS according to state or manufacturer's specs.

Guys lower their cars, or they raise the back end for tire clearance, or they lift their trucks, and never give a second thought to how ride-height affects headlight aim.

Last edited by Schurkey; 03-26-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula...do you have a part # for the 5 3/4" headlight bulbs? I'm guessing they're different than the bulbs you listed for the 7" lights that you use. Thanks

Old 03-26-2023, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Formula...do you have a part # for the 5 3/4" headlight bulbs? I'm guessing they're different than the bulbs you listed for the 7" lights that you use. Thanks
They still use the same H4/9003 style LED with the only difference being on the high beam you won't use the 3rd terminal on the plug. They tell you to remove it.

It used to be that they offered the 2 terminal high beam bulbs a couple years ago but when those disappeared they never seemed to come back so now they just tell you to remove the 3rd prong. Dad ended up doing that on his a couple years ago, it all still works the same.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can get plug and play relay kits from Painless
that helps, along with a good halogen such as Sylvania Ultra Stars (or what ever their i think it was white box colored headlights were)
however, i am VERY fond of VisionX LED headlights. Cheap and safety don't go together, unless you want ummmmm cheap results
I think at one time Holley was offering a LED conversion kit, looked nice, but to me, nothing beats the VisionX clarity, quality, and super ease of installation.
They work just as good as the LED lights on our late model Accord. Pretty stellar of you ask me...
I know my TA has the 4 buckets lights... but out in the open dessert night when its pitch black and high beams, WOW.... and honestly i don't even need them on, the two lights and halos make all the difference.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The size / gage of wires leading to our headlights is quite small like 16 and 18 gage and you cant do much with that because you still have a wimpy switch, but its all good to trigger relays

one thing i do is run a dedicated 10g ground wire from batt to core support and dont forget to upsize the ground wire from each light to core support if you go that way

relays can be harvested out of newer cars in their fuse box and incorporated in a way that doesnt modify a car forever and provide more power to a new halogen lamp for decent results