Old 03-27-2023, 12:28 AM

Default 1968 B Body power window adjustment

Hi,

My buddy's 68 B-body RH front power window was stuck. Pulled the regulator, cleaned everything up real good, made sure all the rollers were working and lubed up everything with super lube. I bench tested the motor and it seems ok, but I swapped it anyways with a spare I had lying around. It was better, it moved, but wouldn't go up all that well even stalling out here and there. I had another motor I bench tested, seemed strong so installed that. It's better but not quite right. it slows down significantly at the half way point going down, and alternatively is super slow going up until the halfway point then speeds up.

I bypassed the cars wiring supplying 12v directly to the motor and experience the same behavior so I assume it's not the wiring.

What is the piece that is bolted to the window called (have attached a pic called windowstrack.jpg)? I think it might be be the front plastic guide that runs up and down in the front track, it seems to be pressed up against the right side of the track to tightly (see attached camera pic) It's not pressed into the front of the track, and there is play from front to back on the window.

When the window is at the top, there is a little play left to right on the window, but as it gets lower in the track that play stops and it's very taut.

So I am assuming that that plastic guide is getting pressed into the right side of the front track as it lowers. The drivers side window, which works great, has left to right play the entire run of the track. There is an adjustment at the bottom of the track to move the lower end of the track left and right. I assumed if I removed the retaining nut at the door that the bottom of the track would move right if I lowered the window, but it doesn't happen. If manually push the bottom of the track towards the right, it still doesn't seem to make any difference.

So I am a bit stumped, I don't think its the motor (3rd one I installed) or the wiring.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0326231908.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	609782   Click image for larger version

Name:	windowtrack.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	609783  

Old 04-10-2023, 10:19 AM

Just to follow up, I found the issue, which was the previous owner. They replaced the roller on the rear roller plate with some random one that was 1/8 of an inch tall. This was causing the plate and window to bind against the rear track and force the front guide into the track at an angle. I replaced it with one that was 1/2+ tall which allowed the plate some flex room against the track and the front guide moves more freely in the track.