Old 03-30-2023, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cost

Correct me please if I am wrong, but it looks like if you want a good set of HFT lifters these days it's gonna run you about $170 bucks

Old 03-30-2023, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems about right. Maybe even sounds a bit on the cheap side. I paid more than that for good flat tappets with edm oiling several years ago.

I was just at Paul's last week dropping off an engine that's going to have a hydraulic roller and he was telling me Pontiac hydraulic rollers from hylift Johnson used to be $560 and he was just told by hylift Johnson they are now $1130

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-30-2023, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where does one buy quality HFT lifters?

Old 03-30-2023, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Paul C told me they only buy them directly from Hylift Johnson. There are so many copy cats, and even garbage on ebay for cheap that are packaged like Hylift Johnson, I just don't trust that stuff. So I told Paul I don't care what it costs, get them directly from the manufacture. He also said they actually haven't been available for quite some time (again, I went through that a few years ago) and they just called him recently to tell him they had a batch run or something to that affect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Paul C told me they only buy them directly from Hylift Johnson. There are so many copy cats, and even garbage on ebay for cheap that are packaged like Hylift Johnson, I just don't trust that stuff. So I told Paul I don't care what it costs, get them directly from the manufacture. He also said they actually haven't been available for quite some time (again, I went through that a few years ago) and they just called him recently to tell him they had a batch run or something to that affect.
We buy direct from Hy-lift also.

But that doesn't answer my question

Old 03-30-2023, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We buy direct from Hy-lift also.

But that doesn't answer my question
Well I guess it answers it for me, that's about as quality as it gets, not sure how you can assure anything is any better than what's out there.

I mean we've run high dollar Crowers and had failures that Crower didn't have an answer for, but they are talked highly of. I've used Comp that used to be made by Hylift Johnson or Morel and it was a crap shoot which one would be in the box. That's one reason why I bought that set from you a couple years ago, you verified what was in the box before shipping to me. Those are still working perfect by the way and are whisper quiet.

Just about with anything, ya buy what you feel is the best quality available and roll the dice.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well I guess it answers it for me, that's about as quality as it gets, not sure how you can assure anything is any better than what's out there.

I mean we've run high dollar Crowers and had failures that Crower didn't have an answer for, but they are talked highly of. I've used Comp that used to be made by Hylift Johnson or Morel and it was a crap shoot which one would be in the box. That's one reason why I bought that set from you a couple years ago, you verified what was in the box before shipping to me. Those are still working perfect by the way and are whisper quiet.

Just about with anything, ya buy what you feel is the best quality available and roll the dice.
Just wondering where one would buy quality HFT lifters nowadays. HR are a completely different story. I'm glad the Comp lifters you purchased from me are working well. For a while those were the hot set up. Later we had 9 of them fail in to revolutions on the stand as we were assembling the engine. Shortly after that Comp changed vendors.... again!

Old 03-30-2023, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just wondering where one would buy quality HFT lifters nowadays. HR are a completely different story. I'm glad the Comp lifters you purchased from me are working well. For a while those were the hot set up. Later we had 9 of them fail in to revolutions on the stand as we were assembling the engine. Shortly after that Comp changed vendors.... again!
Geez seems Comp can't stick with one vendor can they,,,,lol

As far as HFT lifters, I usually buy Johnsons and have had zero failures with them. Running a set of those currently in the Firebird actually and they have about 50,000 miles on them so far, nice and quiet.

I've used a couple other different brands and haven't had any issues. I generally like and pay extra for the lube option when doing flat tappets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I've used a couple other different brands and haven't had any issues. I generally like and pay extra for the lube option when doing flat tappets.
Lube option? Like the Crower cam saver hfts? Or the EDM hole sfts?

Old 03-30-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I was gonna say Butler has Hylift Johnson hfts for $170 but it looks like they upped the price to $190. I bought a set from them a year or so back for $130. Engine parts have been hit real hard by inflation

Old 03-30-2023, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Touring View Post
Lube option? Like the Crower cam saver hfts? Or the EDM hole sfts?
Yep

Old 03-31-2023, 12:05 AM

Cool

the greed in this country is very sad,chuck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BLUE TA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yep
Intriguing. I went to the TopLine online catalog and found the HyLift Johnsons alright (just like I got from Paul K). I searched all over the catalog but could not find where there was an EDM or other oiling option. Maybe your machinist Paul C. modifyed your Johnsons for you?

Thanks!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-31-2023, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
Intriguing. I went to the TopLine online catalog and found the HyLift Johnsons alright (just like I got from Paul K). I searched all over the catalog but could not find where there was an EDM or other oiling option. Maybe your machinist Paul C. modifyed your Johnsons for you?

Thanks!

The hydraulic flat tappets with an oiling option are the Rhoads, which I'm told are modified Johnsons. On the solids I usually do Comp with the EDM hole, but there are a couple other choices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 07:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
The hydraulic flat tappets with an oiling option are the Rhoads, which I'm told are modified Johnsons. On the solids I usually do Comp with the EDM hole, but there are a couple other choices.
I have two sets of the hydraulic flat tappets (with the oiling option made by Rhoads), which I know are modified High lift Johnsons made in Muskegon, Mi. Not for sale just agree with the source of the GOOD parts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only source I can find for the HFT Hylift Johnson is Butler for $190. I am having quite a few regrets not buying some parts earlier in my engine build.