Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2019, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by catc View Post
curious .what is the max flow you can get out of a cast iron 722 cyl head...286 back in 1978 was pretty strong i'd say....
300cfm was generally about as high as you could get without them p!ssing water with a normal no epoxy/no welding port job. Dan did one set slightly over that but thought they would leak one day.
Butler brazed up a set of RAIVs and made "wide port" versions out of them for class racing. Got 800HP out of a 400 I believe.
Wilcox has got 300 cfm out a some of the "X" d ports. But I am sure they had epoxy too.
Then you have the Robertson 320cfm raised port 48s with a bunch of epoxy in the roof. Awesome heads in their own right.
I think a new cast steel RAIV head would sell. Make it with extra materiel in key spots for porting. Cast steel (not freaking iron) so it is easily welded for repairs or to make a set of wide ports out of them. LS chamber while you are at it too.
Iron heads make more power than their aluminum counterparts because they hold the heat and heat is energy. And its not like you are taking 100lbs off the front of your car going aluminum like a BBC either.