Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 M21 Service Replacement Transmission

I have a 1970 model year Service Replacement M21 (close-ratio) Transmission assembly and would like to know what it may be worth. I did find a reference to a GM service bulletin that documents how the Service Replacement Engine and Transmission assemblies are marked (see document below). My transmission is marked ?TO 38837, which according to the information below is correct for a full transmission assembly from the Muncie Transmission Plant. The case casting number is 3925661 and the date code is P0R29B (October 29, 1969, M21). This would be a perfect fit for a RAIII or RAIV car with the wrong transmission. The transmission is in my '66 GTO and drives/shifts perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-03 at 2.54.07 PM.png
Views:	82
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	283492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	283493  

Last edited by DANTIP; 05-03-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: More information
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, it's perfectly dated for a 68 RA I or II car.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Suspended

Default trans

How much do you want for it I have a customers 68 ram air II car its a automatic but he is thinking of converting to a 4 speed sounds perfect for him. That would make me happy as I would get a turbo 400 for one of my 69 convertible projects

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hobi,

If you have a 68 PQ t-400 and want to trade it for a 69 PQ t-400 for your convertible, I'd do the trade with you. I also have a 68 dated M-21. Let me know. My e-mail is listed below.

thebosspontiac@hotmail.com

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Default travs

Thanks boss but I drove this customers car when it came in my shop it was really a nice shifting transmission I am going to just put it in my convertible as I know it works fine and dont care that its a 68 pq the circles I run in nobody knows or would care but thanks for the offer

Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I understand the way to decode a P0R29B tranny?

P = muncie,
0 is for year of car. 1970
R is month only 12 so not sure? But, say it is a replacement and fits all months. R does say Oct.
29 is day of month,
B is M 21?

Last edited by Judge273; 05-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is it stamped for what it's replacing...when it's replacing...or when it was made?
Doug

70 SPECIAL ORDER SABLE BLACK 4SPEED III JUDGE
70 ATOLE BLUE AUTO GTO
69 C.RED 4SPEED III JUDGE
67 WHITE 4SPEED 400 VERT FIREBIRD
65 MAIZE 4SPEED TRIPOWER VERT GTO
65 TURQ. 4SPEED TRIPOWER VERT GTO

WANTING A IV......
20 other non-pontiacs which need to be thinned down so I can buy more PONTIACS
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Replacement Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-doug View Post
Is it stamped for what it's replacing...when it's replacing...or when it was made?
Doug
Interesting question. I would strongly suspect the manufacturing plant would have to keep a minimum amount of service replacements on hand. The plant would probably run them on an as needed basis to keep that minimum safety stock level. The Date code looks the same as the production units but the service/serial number is much smaller and very precise looking (like a machine did it). With all that said, I suspect the service replacements were marked relative to their production rather than for the vehicle they were destined for. Lastly, according to the documentation on the Service Replacements, there should be a character before the "T0" (like "PT0" for Pontiac) and it is either not there or it's too faint to see (the "T0" is really evident). My thinking there is this transmission would be able to replace any GM M21 (unlike a replacement engine). Therefore, the first character was probably supposed to be added when the appropriate tail-housing was attached prior to shipment to the dealer.

Dan

Last edited by DANTIP; 05-04-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Default trans

From what I have been told by oldtimers GM had a parts quota for non expected items. Expected items being collision or tolerance wear and or warranty related parts, non expected parts such as certain sheetmetal according to GM data at the time or options or other parts that were not expected to be replaced before such warranty were made as a run item just as for example a run of 1000 1969 fenders a run being a pair as the cars were still being assembeled so that would constitute enough parts fenders for 500 cars this is just a example as I do not have the data that GM had for replacement parts and of coarse that varied to according to what part of the country you lived in and what time of year it was.

The fender run for example woule more than lickly be punched with no holes for embles or cornering lite option as it could be used for a couple years and a assortment of options.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
As I understand the way to decode a P0R29B tranny?

P = muncie,
0 is for year of car. 1970
R is month only 12 so not sure? But, say it is a replacement and fits all months. R does say Oct.
29 is day of month,
B is M 21?
Yep.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a bit confused. I thought "CC" stamp was for a counter case (i.e., what you got to replaced your busted Muncie case from the parts counter at the local Pontiac dealer).

I thought that a complete transmission assembly was marked "CT" for "counter transmission" or something like that.

Scott

Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
I'm a bit confused. I thought "CC" stamp was for a counter case (i.e., what you got to replaced your busted Muncie case from the parts counter at the local Pontiac dealer).

I thought that a complete transmission assembly was marked "CT" for "counter transmission" or something like that.

Scott
Scott,

I attached a document in Post #1 that explains how "Service Replacement" parts/assemblies are marked according to a 1969-vintage GM Service Information Bulletin. Prior to seeing this document, I was unaware of the marking and the assigned sequence/numbering system used (This does explain why the high-dollar BBC replacement engines are all marked CE for "Chevrolet Engine" rather than what most people believe means "Counter Exchange"). This document does not explain what a "CC" marked transmission case is but it does perfectly match how my 1970 M21 is marked. I wonder whether a different marking approach was used prior to the release of the Service Bulletin mentioned? If anyone is interested in better photos of the markings, I'll find time to get some more detailed photos.

Dan

Last edited by DANTIP; 05-05-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Poor spelling
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

which side of the tail housing is the speedo on?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my freind who sells muncies says, that sept thru october would be the previous year production. if this is correct then it would have been produced oct 1969, but information I have found seems to be contradictory in that it was only 67 68 that worked this way with date code and 69 thru 74 was different?

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
Scott,

I attached a document in Post #1 that explains how "Service Replacement" parts/assemblies are marked according to a 1969-vintage GM Service Information Bulletin. Prior to seeing this document, I was unaware of the marking and the assigned sequence/numbering system used (This does explain why the high-dollar BBC replacement engines are all marked CE for "Chevrolet Engine" rather than what most people believe means "Counter Exchange"). This document does not explain what a "CC" marked transmission case is but it does perfectly match how my 1970 M21 is marked. I wonder whether a different marking approach was used prior to the release of the Service Bulletin mentioned? If anyone is interested in better photos of the markings, I'll find time to get some more detailed photos.

Dan
Ok, has anyone else seen one with a "TO" stamp? I understand what you posted, but this is new to me. I called the guy who did the Muncie for my 70 and he said he had never heard of it. He's one of the top Muncie guys in the country, so he's seen a few of these.

Scott

Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Ok, has anyone else seen one with a "TO" stamp? I understand what you posted, but this is new to me. I called the guy who did the Muncie for my 70 and he said he had never heard of it. He's one of the top Muncie guys in the country, so he's seen a few of these.

Scott
Scott,

This is the only transmission I have heard of marked like this. I too called a well know builder and he had never heard of a Muncie marked like this. I just checked Ebay and there are three "high-value" Big-Block Chevrolet replacement blocks (1-'68, 1-'70, and 1-'71) and all of them follow the marking scheme explained in the GM service bulletin mentioned in the first post (one is item #330706370971). I have ZERO doubt this transmission is an untouched (never blasted, cleaned, messed with) original. The original owner of my car is 83 years old and told me he bought this transmission as a full transmission assembly from a GM dealer. I suspect GM provided vastly more replacement engines than transmissions and most builders have never seen/noticed one.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwankers View Post
which side of the tail housing is the speedo on?
so is it driver or passenger side?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

Default Muncie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwankers View Post
so is it driver or passenger side?
The speedo is on the driver's side. I assume the Muncie plant would be told which tail shaft to use/install before shipment.

Dan

Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Service Replacement transmission

Quote:

Scott
Here is a Craigslist ad for a Muncie that has the markings of a Service Replacement. The stamping shows T8 37337 and the case date stamp is P8R20. This is consistent with the GM service bulletin and with the markings on my '70 M21. It is not advertised as a Service Replacement but it is certainly marked as one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-11 at 7.21.52 AM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	285458  

Old 05-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a '661' case service-replacement M21 transmission stamped ' CCO 45571'. It has pass side speedo.I dont know what it was originally intended to service.