Old 07-27-2022, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge
Default 1959 Pontiac interior paint??

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a 59 Catalina 2 dr Sedan, I need a valid interior paint code or formula for the Charcoal Gray color that the interior parts were painted. My car was supposed to come with the Gray interior, but must have had a production line change to the blue interior, so I don't have a piece that I can take to the paint supply store to have them match for me. any of the factory paint codes I have found have been discontinued and I can't get the paint or the formula. If someone has an extra Charcoal Gray interior piece that we can confirm is original and not faded, like the inside of a glovebox door, or ashtray or something that would be willing to let me borrow to have the paint store match the color, or would be willing to sell, i'd be happy to buy it to have and use for that purpose...... I am also looking for a Deluxe Gray Steering Wheel.
thanks
Kal Schultz
808-421-1963

Old 07-27-2022, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a paint color chart for 1959 Pontiacs over on the autocolorlibrary.com website. Page 3 of that chart shows the interior paint codes, your paint store may be able to cross reference the old codes to current paint colors. https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...HorizontalTab4

Old 07-27-2022, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you for your response, but I have that paint number, and nothing is available for it, no formula, no cross-reference number, no superseded number, at least by the paint supply store I was dealing with, and they are a large very reputable store who serves the whole area and all of the body shops.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 PM

warrior.....Take off your kick panel and check the bracket that holds the door windless in place. Unless whoever did the color change was extremely anal, you should find a pristine example there. Deluxe wheels sometime show up on E-Bay, but be prepared to pay until it hurts. Even then you will probably need to repaint it to match......John

Old 07-28-2022, 04:02 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for your response, but the trim tag shows that the car was supposed to come with trim code 201 which is the gray/white interior, but it must have been a production line change prior to the Gray/white interior being installed, and it came with the trim code 202 blue/turquoise interior, i haven't found any signs of any dark charcoal metallic paint anywhere in the interior. there is even dark blue paint on the inside of the door under the door panels. On a side note, was it you that was responding to a post on the 59 Pontiac website about trim tags and vin numbers? There is a question i have on the trim tag on my 59 2dr sedan, it has a "2-1" stamped on the lower right corner of the body trim tag, and i can't find any information to whatever the stamp in that area translates to. i believe a few of my 63's have a code stamped in that area as well..... i was guessing that it is a production line change of some kind, and in my case i believed that it was the 201 to 202 interior code change..... there is also a 201 written on the firewall with some kind of paint crayon or marker......
thanks for your time!

Old 07-29-2022, 01:04 AM

warrior.....the blue paint behind the door cards is overspray from painting the underside of the doors. That was done long before any interior pieces were installed. There are three reasons that I know of that would account for your situation. The most common would be a miss stamped tag. Keep in mind that, the line workers generally went by the build sheet, not the tag. As the body shell came by, they would install the pieces they were fed from the queue. Another possibility would be the interior pieces were miss sequenced in the queue. Not too likely in that all the pieces would not match. The least likely scenario would be a mid production change order, when you consider what was involved in ordering a car at the time. The dealer wrote out a sales order and mailed it to the zone office. Zone would check the order for accuracy and prepare a build request and mail or teletype it to Central Office (Pontiac). There it would be checked again, and the build scheduled for Home Plant or one of the BOP plants. In the day before the internet, mail, telephone and teletype where not conducive to quick changes.

Out of queriousity what was your cars assembly plant, and what color was it.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:16 AM
Senior Chief

I can't thank you enough for your time and help!!! The car was painted "Silvermist Gray" the vin and trim tag say the car and body were built in Linden, NJ. I assumed that since the car was painted Gray that the dark blue paint under the door panels was a test spray of interior paint prior to installing interior pieces, but i guess since none of the painted interior pieces ie dash etc etc etc needed to be painted in the car there would be no need to spray the door ... so i am not sure why that would be there, and i don't know why they would have sprayed the bottom of the doors dark blue when the car was gray and the interior was supposed to be gray as well..... I am really at a loss for the discrepancy here... your reasons definitely make sense, and I get how slow of a process it would have been to make changes back then due to communication and technology differences compared to today... I have just never seen any explanation of the codes stamped in the lower right corner of the trim tag, and have seen it often enough to wonder about it...... my car is a very low option car, basically only has the "Deluxe Chrome" package and that's it. any other insight you may have to anything regarding the color combination and trim tag info? Do you happen to know if there is anyother info i can extract from the vin/trim tag, maybe the dealership who took possession of the car? it does have a "Don Allen" emblem on the trunk, but I l know nothing about who that is, I believe they were out of TX.
Mahalo!
kal