Old 09-08-2022, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default EFI tuning guide

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...eid=c224b55cd7
Hopefully some will find this helpful. Jerry Hoffman co authored a book(along with Matt Cramer) that I've found very helpful in my journey to standalone EFI. Here he is giving away helpful information for free. Whether or not you use or decide to use their products, this info should help clarify and simplify some things concerning EFI. Enjoy

Old 09-15-2022, 02:04 PM

Thanks for sharing Scott! Just released Chapter4 today!

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...-spfi-itbs-di/

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
Old 09-15-2022, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

This is great! Definitely going to be spending some time in there!

Old 09-15-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
This is great! Definitely going to be spending some time in there!
Hope you find it helpful man! I'm going to keep on writing, hoping for Chapter 5 release probably 2 weeks out. Taking tomorrow off for a short anniversary trip with the wife (20 years now!)

If you visit our site you'll likely get prompted to join our newsletter if you'd like, and we're sending out updates each time a new chapter is released. We hold the emails generally to about 1 per week so we won't flood anyone's inbox .

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
Old 09-15-2022, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great information. Some possible feedback (hopefully I didn't miss anything). And keep in mind, I'm not a Megasquirt user so I don't know all the features.

Ch 2: Didn't see anything mentioned about ECT modifiers to help with cold start operation. Maybe not a feature within some/all or the MS variants? But if they do, that's another great thing about electronic timing control is driveability and also how quickly the engine gets to temperature saving on wear.

Ch 3: Garbage In/Out. I feel it's important to have consumable components (like spark plugs and air filters) either new or at least low mileage and good condition. Tuning around components near their useful end of life will throw off results later down the road. They're not that expensive, so when in doubt... change them out.

Last edited by amcmike; 09-15-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MS has multiple ways of handling warm up, and temperature in general. Both coolant temp and air temp(IAT/MAT). As well as air density correction. Just fyi. I haven't actually read the articles yet, but I knew they'd be useful due to having read the author's work.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike View Post
Great information. Some possible feedback (hopefully I didn't miss anything). And keep in mind, I'm not a Megasquirt user so I don't know all the features.

Ch 2: Didn't see anything mentioned about ECT modifiers to help with cold start operation. Maybe not a feature within some/all or the MS variants?

Ch 3: Garbage In/Out. I feel it's important to have consumable components (like spark plugs and air filters) either new or at least low mileage and good condition. Tuning around components near their useful end of life will throw off results later down the road. They're not that expensive, so when in doubt... change them out.
Good feedback, thanks!

On the ECT Modifier comment-- I'll add ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) to the glossary, I had included CLT which is what I more commonly used, and had missed adding ECT as an alternate term that's used. As for how it's used for particular modifiers, there are several fueling modifiers that are ECT/CLT based. Afterstart Enrichment, Warmup Enrichment, etc. There are also cranking modifiers to help deal with things like sensor heatsoak after a hot shutdown. As you referenced chapter 2 though, are you specifically asking about Ignition Timing modifiers based on coolant temps?

GIGO: Great feedback. I'll add a 'to do' to my list to revisit that chapter and add some commentary on these 'basics' that can often be overlooked. That'll make a good addition.

I've got some more writing to do in that chapter at some point anyways, I think it's going to become 'The Four Stages of Success', with 'Planning' inserted at the beginning.

Thanks!

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
Old 09-15-2022, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I for one believe that the section on planning will be an immense help for those getting started. It was an almost overwhelming task for me. I was fortunate and my plan came together and worked well. I commented often about planning (and the places it could've been better) in my post here: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=820018
about my project. It might be good commentary for Jerry to see how a novice tackles these issues, and what effects it has on the outcome.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundSoul View Post
Good feedback, thanks!

On the ECT Modifier comment-- I'll add ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) to the glossary, I had included CLT which is what I more commonly used, and had missed adding ECT as an alternate term that's used. As for how it's used for particular modifiers, there are several fueling modifiers that are ECT/CLT based. Afterstart Enrichment, Warmup Enrichment, etc. There are also cranking modifiers to help deal with things like sensor heatsoak after a hot shutdown. As you referenced chapter 2 though, are you specifically asking about Ignition Timing modifiers based on coolant temps?

GIGO: Great feedback. I'll add a 'to do' to my list to revisit that chapter and add some commentary on these 'basics' that can often be overlooked. That'll make a good addition.

I've got some more writing to do in that chapter at some point anyways, I think it's going to become 'The Four Stages of Success', with 'Planning' inserted at the beginning.

Thanks!
Yes sorry I was not very descriptive in my haste, but you deciphered it. It was timing-focused, since I had not read the fuel section yet However it applies there (along with Scott's mention IAT and MAT) as well. All these various modifiers whether for fuel or timing improve cold start, warm-up, hot restart, longevity (faster warm-up), and (especially important for older engine platforms that don't have the benefit of retrofitting knock sensors), help protect the engine in extreme conditions.

Readers considering these systems may not even be aware the newer aftermarket systems with more powerful ECUs and software coding, have so much more flexibility and benefits than when first introduced besides just the base maps. And if it intimidates them to mess with those features at first, well... they don't have to use them... they just won't get those additional benefits (or they can rely on maps populated with conservative default values).

The Four Stages of Success sounds like a great idea.

Keep up the excellent work. Congratulations on 20 years!

Last edited by amcmike; 09-15-2022 at 09:56 PM.