Old 03-26-2022, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default bench seat back retainer removal

Hello,

after a 7 month back order, legendary finally delivered the new seat covers. this is a split bench seat. I'm trying to remove the upper seat backs.

can anyone tell me how to get this @#$@$@$^ seat back retainer off without destroying it or bending up the trim piece captured underneath it? Fisher manual isn't much help here. basically says "remove retainer carefully with a flat bladed tool.

Well, pounded a thin screwdriver in there but anything thin enough doesn't have any meat on it to twist with any power and all it's doing is gouging up the trim piece below. I can't get pliers with rubber wrapped around it to prevent marring to get a bite and I'm getting seriously frustrated here. any pointers greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2364.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	587198  

Old 03-26-2022, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to destroy it. Google pushnuts. You should be able to find something similar.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah, after posting i just went back at it and killed it taking it off. next nightmare was getting the back off the lower frame. fisher body manual is wrong about some phantom pivot arm bolts that need to be removed. I ended up just levering the arm off the stud to get it to release. After getting the cover off afterwards looking for these mysterious bolts the manual refers to, I see nothing. the diagram the manual referred to wasn't very clear to even figure out what they were trying to show.

I found pushnuts like these on ebay, from some resto places saying early GM. I think I'll cut the next one off so I don't damage the trim this time.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:04 PM

You just have to destroy them to save the trim. Many new ones do not have the steel retainer inside and are just stamped.