#1  
Old 11-24-2022, 02:28 AM
Zooguy Zooguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 86
Default 66 big Pontiac accessory question

Has anybody made a bracket or can they show where they've taken out the power steering pump and relocated the alternator down low on a 1966 full size car.

I'm going to start chief executive I'm wanting to put a roots blower on. And I'm thinking it might be easiest to get rid of the power steering and alternator bracket assembly and just relocate the alternator down lower to make room for the blower belt. I would also be looking at converting from power steering to a manual steering box. Does somebody make a steering box that can be mounted on the car with a better turning ratio so you can still steer a little easier without power steering?

  #2  
Old 11-24-2022, 02:29 AM
Zooguy Zooguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 86
Default

I think this is going to look cool once it's all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221119_171224.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	602529  

  #3  
Old 11-24-2022, 10:09 AM
25stevem's Avatar
25stevem 25stevem is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,422
Default

If your Alt is up on the drivers side of the motor like my 70, I had no problem with mine and my ps staying right where they where stock.

While the Alt is not in this photo you can see how far the drive is away from where these items mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2EAB422-1F60-4AD3-AC4D-3EF1EE3693BE.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	602532  

__________________
You can cut out a man’s tongue, but that does not mean he’s a Liar, it just means you fear the truth that he might speak about you.

Remember the Alamo?
Forget that just remember the harm that is still coming from “ We have to pass the Bill so you can find out what’s in it !”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 25stevem For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 11-25-2022, 01:47 AM
Zooguy Zooguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
If your Alt is up on the drivers side of the motor like my 70, I had no problem with mine and my ps staying right where they where stock.

While the Alt is not in this photo you can see how far the drive is away from where these items mount.
It looks like the belts would get in the way

  #5  
Old 11-25-2022, 07:07 AM
25stevem's Avatar
25stevem 25stevem is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 1,422
Default

Your drive pully sits much further back towards the case snout then mine does.

Is your pully 3" wide, or two inch?

__________________
You can cut out a man’s tongue, but that does not mean he’s a Liar, it just means you fear the truth that he might speak about you.

Remember the Alamo?
Forget that just remember the harm that is still coming from “ We have to pass the Bill so you can find out what’s in it !”
  #6  
Old 11-25-2022, 09:30 AM
242177P's Avatar
242177P 242177P is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,519
Default

You need to figure out what belt drive will work for you versus trying to build the rest of the car around existing parts. Case in point, snouts come in different lengths. And case sizes matter too. What works for a 6-71 SBC won't necessarily work on yours. I'd start by mocking things up, and I'm not talking about setting it on the hood. Do you have a Pontiac blower intake already? First thing you might look for is distributor clearance. Changing the front plate/snout seems almost like a foregone conclusion.

  #7  
Old 11-25-2022, 01:57 PM
Zooguy Zooguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
Your drive pully sits much further back towards the case snout then mine does.

Is your pully 3" wide, or two inch?
The floor hasn't been converted yet that's just a random pulley I had sitting in front of the blower it's not even connected it's just sitting here lol

  #8  
Old 11-25-2022, 02:02 PM
Zooguy Zooguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
You need to figure out what belt drive will work for you versus trying to build the rest of the car around existing parts. Case in point, snouts come in different lengths. And case sizes matter too. What works for a 6-71 SBC won't necessarily work on yours. I'd start by mocking things up, and I'm not talking about setting it on the hood. Do you have a Pontiac blower intake already? First thing you might look for is distributor clearance. Changing the front plate/snout seems almost like a foregone conclusion.
I didn't know blower snouts came in different lengths and no I do not have an intake manifold yet because I'm not 100% sure if I'm going with a Pontiac motor or if I'll use the 454 Big block Chevy I already have in the garage. I know there's lots of variables still out there yet to be determined so I'm asking hard questions. But hopefully I can learn more information to make better decisions.

  #9  
Old 11-25-2022, 06:53 PM
BILL BOWMAN1's Avatar
BILL BOWMAN1 BILL BOWMAN1 is online now
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bear, Delaware
Posts: 1,435
Default

I would buy a kit, all that stuff is figured out.

__________________
LIFT HEAVY, LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SMALL!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 PM.

 

About Us

The PY Online Forums is the largest online gathering of Pontiac enthusiasts anywhere in the world. Founded in 1991, it was also the first online forum for people to gather and talk about their Pontiacs. Since then, it has become the mecca of Pontiac technical data and knowledge that no other place can surpass.

 




Copyright © 2017