Old 11-23-2022, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What is it worth department

Hey, guys, since I decided to sell my unrestored 67 goat convertible as I’m just too old to take on another project like this (my 64 took me 12 years to restore), I’ve decided to sell some of the parts I’ve been collecting to restore that car to its former glory. The car has already been sold so now I’ve got to deal with the parts and I need some help figuring out what I should ask for this stuff.

I have a very nice original 67 limited slip rear end with 3:23 gears, YF stamped into the housing, build date Feb 8, 1967, housing number 9783393. Housing has both axles with bearings. The unit has been stored inside my shop for many years and is not rusty or even very dirty. It’s still strapped to the pallet that I received it on years ago and so it’s ready to move on to its new owner. How much is it worth?

I also have a completely professionally rebuilt 67 YS motor, new everything inside, never been fired up, complete with a nice 7027262 carb and original very nice air cleaner. Includes new repo valve covers which really make this baby pop. I’ve been told this should bring near $10k but what do you all think?

Also have a very nice original four speed console and an original 67 four speed Hurst shifter.

There’s other stuff but I’d like to move these parts first to get the ball rolling and to free up the space. My wife knows that once I get rid of this stuff I’ll never do another car and I think that’s fine with her!

Once I get this stuff valued I’ll move it all over onto the parts for sale section. Thanks for your help. I really regret not being able to restore a 67 convertible as I think it was the most beautiful car ever produced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA11E1F3-9110-41AE-87FF-0B04F88B3D95.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	602521   Click image for larger version

Name:	04ADC1DC-F1DC-4AF7-A02F-C15450359382.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	602524   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7D36802-108F-482F-ADD8-35C1D7D189DC.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	602527  

Old 11-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow, 152 views and no responses.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the rear end is ready to bolt in I would say 800-1000. I bought the one in my 66 GTO for 400 and felt that was a really good real. I have passed on a few in the 7-800 range.

Unless you find someone looking for that specific motor I think 10k is a stretch. If the work was done by butler, SD, etc maybe you could get that. I would say 5-8k for the engine.

Hope this helps. I have no idea on the console though

Old 11-28-2022, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with the view that $10k for the engine is a stretch. Yes, it can cost $10k or more to have an engine built from scratch, but the selling price drops a lot when you're talking about buying an engine secondhand from a stranger. If you have one built, you have a relationship with the builder should anything go wrong or need attention. When you buy someone else's build, you're totally on your own. Also, this engine doesn't have any fancy parts bolted onto it to command a high price tag. If it had a forged bottom end, aluminum heads, and the works, then it might be another story. But as it sits, I agree with $5-8k, and probably closer to $5k than $8k.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-28-2022, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
If the rear end is ready to bolt in I would say 800-1000. I bought the one in my 66 GTO for 400 and felt that was a really good real. I have passed on a few in the 7-800 range.

Unless you find someone looking for that specific motor I think 10k is a stretch. If the work was done by butler, SD, etc maybe you could get that. I would say 5-8k for the engine.

Hope this helps. I have no idea on the console though
Thanks. Yes, it does help.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
I agree with the view that $10k for the engine is a stretch. Yes, it can cost $10k or more to have an engine built from scratch, but the selling price drops a lot when you're talking about buying an engine secondhand from a stranger. If you have one built, you have a relationship with the builder should anything go wrong or need attention. When you buy someone else's build, you're totally on your own. Also, this engine doesn't have any fancy parts bolted onto it to command a high price tag. If it had a forged bottom end, aluminum heads, and the works, then it might be another story. But as it sits, I agree with $5-8k, and probably closer to $5k than $8k.
Thanks. I see what you mean about having one built yourself vs. Buying one basically unknown. The motor was bored .030 and fitted with a mild cam. Other than that it’s pretty stock. I was thinking the original carb may bring the price up some, as I’ve been offered over $1k for that alone. My intention was to build a pretty original 67 and that’s why the 7027262 carb.

I appreciate your take on this.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How long ago was the engine rebuilt?

Old 11-28-2022, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
How long ago was the engine rebuilt?
Been at least ten years. Need to check paperwork to be sure of date. Never fired it up, never installed it in the car. Motor has been sitting in my shop on a stand since then. Clean as a whistle inside and out. I'd warranty it.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

YF would be a 2-bolt pinion rear and should be about $800.

Engines are tough sells and I bet it might be as low as $5,000, but $6,000 with that carb might happen.

Don't think I've seen a 4-speed console for under $450 lately and could go for $550 or more if really nice.

$250 on Hurst shifter with a nice handle.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
YF would be a 2-bolt pinion rear and should be about $800.

Engines are tough sells and I bet it might be as low as $5,000, but $6,000 with that carb might happen.

Don't think I've seen a 4-speed console for under $450 lately and could go for $550 or more if really nice.

$250 on Hurst shifter with a nice handle.
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect the motor would be more in the 5k range.....I feel like the market is getting a little soft. Might consider selling the carb separately.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I suspect the motor would be more in the 5k range.....I feel like the market is getting a little soft. Might consider selling the carb separately.
May do that. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:25 PM

Hello Bill, I sent you a private message concerning the parts.