Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need someone to heli-coil my Quadrajet fuel inlet near Green Bay, WI

I have the original 68 quadrajet that came with my 400 engine. It has a self tapping fuel inlet fitting that was installed by someone else before I bought it. Since I'm rebuilding the carb, I'd like to have the fuel inlet properly tapped and heli-coiled before putting it back together (if the self tapping inlet hasn't oversized it too much). Can any of you recommend a shop within an hour or so of Green Bay that can do this? I really don't want to risk sending it out and having it get lost or damaged in the process. These original correct number Pontiac carbs are getting hard to come by.

I know that there is at least one reputable shop in Milwaukee that can do it, but it's a couple of hours from here. I'd like to find a local shop as I've got other carbs I'll be doing as well over the winter.

I already bought all of the parts for the rebuild from Cliff.

Thanks
Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 08-18-2022, 10:24 AM

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/ in Milwaukee. This may be the one who were referring to. Sparky has done four carburetor restorations for some friends and me. On mine and one other he did the helicoil repair. Mine was for a 1970 Olds 442 W-30, pretty rare high $ carb. I did send it to him by UPS, fully insured. He returned it the same way.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/ in Milwaukee. This may be the one who were referring to. Sparky has done four carburetor restorations for some friends and me. On mine and one other he did the helicoil repair. Mine was for a 1970 Olds 442 W-30, pretty rare high $ carb. I did send it to him by UPS, fully insured. He returned it the same way.
Yes, I know who Sparky is and yes that is who I was referring to in Milwaukee. I used to work in downtown Milwaukee, but it's a bit of a drive from Green Bay. If I don't get any other replies, it will end up going to him.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How did the Heli-coil repair come out? Leak free? Any witness marks from being clamped in a mill? I have an SD-455 bowl that needs this repair. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on the kit. It's about $350.00 with shipping. Just don't trust anybody to not ruin it.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
How did the Heli-coil repair come out? Leak free? Any witness marks from being clamped in a mill? I have an SD-455 bowl that needs this repair. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on the kit. It's about $350.00 with shipping. Just don't trust anybody to not ruin it.
I haven't had it done yet. I ended up running one of my other carbs temporarily.