Old 11-04-2022, 10:33 PM

Default Disc brake upgrade big body

I have a 1966 Pontiac Star Chief executive and I'm wanting to upgrade to disc brakes in the front. I didn't know if there was a front spindle from a tempest GTO or firebird that would allow me to use disc brakes from those vehicles. I'm not worried about the bolt pattern changing because I'm buying different wheels for the car. If it's possible I would rather figure out a way to use just off the shelf stock parts from other vehicles instead of custom aftermarket stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221103_163252.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	601727  

Old 11-04-2022, 10:55 PM

scarbird https://scarebird.com/
makes kits for most cars

Old 11-05-2022, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be looking for a '69--70 full-size Pontiac, perhaps any GM B- or C-body of those years, that has disc brakes in front.

The '67 and '68 discs would be the four-piston, fixed caliper version that's hard to get parts for. '69-newer would have the good ol' single-piston floating-caliper stuff that's cheap and abundant.

The '66 would likely still be the hateful single-circuit master cylinder. You'd want to upgrade that to a two-circuit master with a combination valve to split the front brakes from the rears.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
I'd be looking for a '69--70 full-size Pontiac, perhaps any GM B- or C-body of those years, that has disc brakes in front.

The '67 and '68 discs would be the four-piston, fixed caliper version that's hard to get parts for. '69-newer would have the good ol' single-piston floating-caliper stuff that's cheap and abundant.

The '66 would likely still be the hateful single-circuit master cylinder. You'd want to upgrade that to a two-circuit master with a combination valve to split the front brakes from the rears.
Yes my master cylinder is a single well and to me that's terrifying cuz if it has any failure or problem I lose all four brakes having a dual well master cylinder gives a little bit more piece of mind. So I need to be looking for a 1969 or 1970 big body Pontiac with the floating front calipers. Hey if I found one would the spindles be an easy direct swap over? And would the brake booster for the master cylinder bolt to my firewall?

Old 11-05-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtokid1968 View Post
scarbird https://scarebird.com/
makes kits for most cars
Scarebird is unfortunately closing up shop. Ames lists a disk brake kit in their catalog. https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooguy View Post
Yes my master cylinder is a single well and to me that's terrifying cuz if it has any failure or problem I lose all four brakes having a dual well master cylinder gives a little bit more piece of mind. So I need to be looking for a 1969 or 1970 big body Pontiac with the floating front calipers. Hey if I found one would the spindles be an easy direct swap over? And would the brake booster for the master cylinder bolt to my firewall?
I don't know about Pontiac. My guess is that it's the same as Chevy. Maybe even the same pieces--corporate B-body might be all the same.

With Chevy B-body, the knuckles, calipers, hoses, rotors swap directly back to '65. The wheels need to be different because the disc-brake wheels have more caliper clearance than the drum-brake wheels. The master cylinder and booster should swap directly over. I don't know what control valving there is--might be separate pieces rather than a combo valve.

The A-body needs "special" lower ball joints, but I don't think the B-body does.

Mind you, I've never done a B-body disc swap. Maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

Old 11-05-2022, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.slyagent.com/67cat/dsc01.htm

Ben M. and I did this on a 67 Wagon a few years back. Is your car A US or Canadian model?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
My guess is that it's the same as Chevy
Full size Chevy's have a 4 3/4 bolt pattern, POB and Cadillac are 5".

Old 11-05-2022, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I've got another donor I could suggest, but when someone that's back-halfing a car, and switching to a 454 with a blower balks at fabricated caliper brackets... well, they're just impossible to please.

So with that in mind, graft a Mustang II front clip onto it. You can get around the 4bolt wheel pattern by using rims from a one ton pickup, because 8bolt.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
http://www.slyagent.com/67cat/dsc01.htm

Ben M. and I did this on a 67 Wagon a few years back. Is your car A US or Canadian model?
Ita a US car

Old 11-06-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Yeah, I've got another donor I could suggest, but when someone that's back-halfing a car, and switching to a 454 with a blower balks at fabricated caliper brackets... well, they're just impossible to please.

So with that in mind, graft a Mustang II front clip onto it. You can get around the 4bolt wheel pattern by using rims from a one ton pickup, because 8bolt.
Please forgive me if i portrayed the wrong intention. I am NOT BALKING any options at this time. I am just trying to learn as much as i can and discover ALL my options and figure out the best choice. I do like the brackets that have been mentioned but im trying to figure out how to get disks and a smaller bolt pattern for the wheels want to put on the car.

Old 11-06-2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I don't know about Pontiac. My guess is that it's the same as Chevy. Maybe even the same pieces--corporate B-body might be all the same.
Pontiac suspensions were totally different than Chevys until 1971, when GM went with a more corporate chassis design for full size cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 12:23 AM

I did a 4 wheel drum to disk, manual to power, conversion for a friend on his 66 Impala about 20 years ago. It was a complete kit. All went well, pedal and stopping power felt good , he drove it for all these years, never complained, just sold the car recently. I dont remember the company that made it though.

Old 11-06-2022, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It gets confusing learning what interchanges. A body, B body what year did this or that change and when may A or B body use the same.

I have a 61 Ventura (OK, call it a B body). I have C3 Corvette (that's like 68-82 years) brakes front and rear including dual MC. It uses a Corvette spindle (yes, the ball joint taper seems to be the same) with the Pontiac A arms. That spindle allows using the Corvette Moraine calipers. Although the brackets need to be modified to move the caliper behind the spindle not in front as Corvette did it. Rear is Corvette although the axels were redrilled to 5 on 4 3/4. Took some ingenuity to get the parking brakes to work.

Can't say what the cost would be compared to a Scarebird system. Probably cost more and if I hadn't gotten this system when I bought the car, I would likely do a Scarebird system if it is available. But the nice thing about the Corvette system is that I expect parts will always be available and I know what they are.

The Following User Says Thank You to pfilean For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We may have a couple of sets we can make from extra components.

Rotor pattern is 5 on 5. If you wish otherwise you will need to redrill, spotface and trim pilot down from 3.06 to 2.780.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
We may have a couple of sets we can make from extra components.

Rotor pattern is 5 on 5. If you wish otherwise you will need to redrill, spotface and trim pilot down from 3.06 to 2.780.
Yes I am trying to figure out a way I can use your kit but get a 5x4¾ bolt pattern.

I'm not sure what you mean by spot face and trim pilot down from 3.06 to 2.708

Old 11-07-2022, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

If you were willing to stick with 5x5, I would definitely go with the 69/70 front spindles. The rotors are a little tough to get but still out there if you beat the bushes. I dont believe the later year pontiac stuff with work as it is a question of front steer vs. rear steer so nothing will line up. Don't believe any chev stuff will work either. Maybe redrill the 69/70 rotors?

The Following User Says Thank You to rustyrelic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

Default Disc Brakes

I have some knuckles I just pulled from a 69! I doubt rotors will make spec. Jim

Old 11-26-2022, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Longtop View Post
I have some knuckles I just pulled from a 69! I doubt rotors will make spec. Jim
Knuckles are the scarce and important parts. Ball joints, calipers, bearings, rotors, hoses, tie rod ends...all of that can be had at the local parts store, or Amazon, or a dozen other on-line specialty shops.

But if you don't have knuckles that will work, it ain't happenin'

Old 11-26-2022, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Knuckles are the scarce and important parts. Ball joints, calipers, bearings, rotors, hoses, tie rod ends...all of that can be had at the local parts store, or Amazon, or a dozen other on-line specialty shops.

But if you don't have knuckles that will work, it ain't happenin'
'69-70 B series Pontiac rotors were reproduced near a dozen years ago, but are not a local parts store item, have to order them from the importer/his downline. California Pontiac Rescue had them a while back.