THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default You forgot two others :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Styling will always be purely subjective. As someone who had to repair these cars like the Aztek, I found the body hardware and interior pieces to be super cheap and delicate for a "utility vehicle". It had some good and some goofy interior features and it could be argued allot of features for the money. Mechanically, many, many more issues with electrical problems, pinched wires, terminals not fully seated, weird battery drains, failed modules, just poor chassis electrical than comparable models. Engines had all the problems associated with the 60 degree V-6 GM used for many years. Pulled, broken rocker arm attaching bolts, head gasket failures, coil pack failures because they mounted it to the exhaust manifold, fuel pressure regulator failures, valve cover leaks, water pump leaks, broken camshafts, all the usual stuff from that engine family. Very hard to make a case that this was some kind of transformational vehicle. It had the potential to be one, then GM took all the quality out of it as they often did during those years. Painting it a single color greatly improved the looks IMO. Before the "Breaking Bad" series, you could buy one in good condition for $600.00-800.00. They have some instant collector value now and are no longer a good beater buy. Seldom see one for under 2K now.
BTW, drove a Mach E with the biggest motors and batteries. Car is very fast, faster than 98% of the gas powered cars I have driven. Doesn't mean I like it. It drives very "heavy". It feels like the 6000 lb. car it is. Just not for me. Feels like your driving a video game, driver completely disconnected from what's happening outside the windows. Like driving an arcade game. They have a waiting list, so someone must like them. The one I drove was almost 90K. That buys allot of old Pontiac stuff!
The HHR and The PT Cruiser are awful vehicles with tons of problems due to being cheaply made.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-24-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
OK maybe the concept was ahead of its time. But that is an ugly vehicle from every angle. There is just no excuse for that.
I think the new Challengers are ugly, but there are people on this board that think they look good. I never thought of a beached whale as good looking...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 07:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I think the new Challengers are ugly, but there are people on this board that think they look good. I never thought of a beached whale as good looking...
Challenger are big and look it. Not my cup of tea either. But in the right package and for enough money, they at least can perform.

Sometimes function over form is OK. In the Challengers case POWER is sexy. And they don’t look Aztec bad

Old 11-25-2022, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Challenger are big and look it. Not my cup of tea either. But in the right package and for enough money, they at least can perform.

Sometimes function over form is OK. In the Challengers case POWER is sexy. And they don’t look Aztec bad
My daughter's Aztek could out perform the Challenger at hauling stuff any day of the week. It was an excellent daily driver that provided her with the ability to perform tasks other than burning rubber and burning huge amounts of gas.

And she liked the looks of her Aztek.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and she was writing the checks.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My daughter's Aztek could out perform the Challenger at hauling stuff any day of the week.
So we're going to ignore the SPORT in Sport Utility Vehicle now?

Tuktuk for the win!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tuktuk.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	602571  

Old 11-25-2022, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
So we're going to ignore the SPORT in Sport Utility Vehicle now?
No, her current Aztek came with the sporty factory camping package.

Once again, Pontiac Aztek for the win.

Buick didn't offer the camping package on their clone of the Aztek, the Buick Rendezvous. It was bland and boringly Buick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No, her current Aztek came with the sporty factory camping package.

Once again, Pontiac Aztek for the win.

Buick didn't offer the camping package on their clone of the Aztek, the Buick Rendezvous. It was bland and boringly Buick.
Exactyly! Not a fan of the Aztek. But really, it's just a Montana Minivan with an "Ugly Kit", or a "tough, sporty beauty kit", installed. At least it provoked SOME EMOTION. If you hate the styling, but like the platform, buy a Montana. Only BUICK could take the same platform and make it so boring people have no opinion at all. The Buick Rendezvous is just another bland Buick blob in a sea of generic minivans and SUV's. A transportation appliance.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
... sporty factory camping package.
I'd wager more people have lived out of a Tuktuk than camped in an Aztek.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a-lambretta-tuk-tuk-camper-exists-and-its-incredibly-small-and-equally-gorgeous_1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	602572  

Old 11-25-2022, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default bonus

Under the new Pontiac the former engineers for the following will have their Christmas bonus's rescinded and receive a jelly of the month coupon.

Idea to put olds/chevy in a Pontiac. bonus rescinded, then fired and under house arrest.

Aztec and the engineer for the tent.

301 engine turbo or not

monero

the ones who forced the honeycomb wheel to be endura glued to steel instead of approving the cast aluminum.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just goes to show you GM can screw anything up. Look what the FREE market did compared to GM

This woukd have sold like crazy GMs version sucked!

In the 70s GM started chasing Japanese cars rather than innovating. It’s been all down hill since and they haven’t made anything worth buying since. Other than the Ta which was probably a special teams car
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F4DF3056-15C1-4004-BFE4-2A7481F9BAAF.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	602573  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 11-25-2022, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
...And China is the largest market in the world if it wasn’t for trump they’d have surpassed us in GDP already. That’s plenty to keep Buick alive if they sell there. That’s the goose that laid the golden egg over there . USA is too busy w its head up its azz w ESG and DEI corporate crap to be anything in the future.
yeah, that's it.

Last edited by Scarebird; 11-25-2022 at 12:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2022, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and she was writing the checks.
It is,

Not many beholders bought the Aztek and only a small number of them are attempting to keep theirs alive. They are destined to be another AMC Gremlin and that might even be an insult to the Gremlin.

The Aztec hurt Pontiac. There is no win.

Can you imagine if Pontiac had made the Aztek so attractive that it sold like the Firebirds and TransAm in the 70’s.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 11-25-2022, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Looks like a Gremlin.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 11-25-2022, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

just jokes...I would kill for another AMC Eagle SX/4 myself lol

My bean counter was crazy about his Aztek however...

Old 11-25-2022, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 2005, my hip was giving me a fit and I wasn't ready for hip replacement. I was also driving 55 miles to work and back ata time when gasoline was over $4 a gallon, I needed something that got decent gas mileage. I was looking for a car that was easy to get in and out of, got decent mileage, and was American made. I considered the Aztek, actually found it would make a decent commuter car but it was just so ugly. I also prefer manual trannies, so I ended up buying a Saturn Vue with a manual. Yeah, I know they're ugly too.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

Used to buy a Riviera every couple years up until '85, that's arguably the last well styled Buick. It shared some chassis pieces with Olds and Cadillac, and it had an Olds engine, wasn't a bad car at the time. The front drive Riviera's were great in the snow. Also bought a Skyhawk T Type that year, just a fancier Cavalier but not totally rebadged. Those were the last Buicks we ever bought.

Saw the Buick Avista concept a few years ago, if GM built that, it would get me back into a new GM vehicle again.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	602574  

Old 11-25-2022, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please, tell us all how things really are.

I am sure we that actually manage businesses and travel worldwide have no clue.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had zero use for a Pontiac Aztec or Buick's cleaned up entrance into wannabe SUV territory when they first came out, no different today. Installing larger diam low profile tires & wheels & slamming an Aztec down on the ground doesn't do anything other than polish a terd, still a horrendously ugly "SUV". The bi-plane front grille/headlamp design is beyond hideous. Same with the rear styling. Pontiac hiring the French stylist/designer & putting that thing into production was more than fitting for an automotive division on the decline for many years.

Mike G's comments on the reliability & build of the Aztec are spot on. The Aztec marked the epitome of thrown together corporate drivetrain junk & cheap plastic w a Pontiac logo on the header panel. Typical 80's- 90's-00's corporate Pontiac era Junk/ aka crusherbait.

Nothing trendsetting about the Aztec. The US auto industries groundbreaking mid sized SUV was the XJ Cherokee eventually powered by the 4.0 liter straight six. Chrysler/Jeep sold Millions of 4.0 Cherokees. From rockcrawlers to clean collectible mid suzed SUV's, still very popular today. As a vehicle that could perform multiple tasks including moderate towing, the 4.0 XJ was in its most trouble free era in '87-96 model years. I'd be the first to admit, the last few years of production, the latest FI system/distributorless ignition has its issues. Have had four 4.0 XJ's all with Command-Trac 4WD, with the first doubling as a young family vehicle, but pulling in during the same time span more collectible Pontiacs, projects, & partscars on an open trailer than all but a handful of PY'ers 3/4 tons & duallys. Getting sideswiped by a semi trailer on the interstate took that one out, but not after near 300k miles.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back to the topic that Rivera is a good looking car. It’s a shame Gm can’t get it right. Maybe in the next electric car nameplates they’ll get it right.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!