Old 11-25-2022, 09:42 PM

Called speedmaster and the ported heads are not available for order yet. They are having issues with the cnc porting, not sure what issues. Also he did not have any info as to targeted flow or runner sizes after porting.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skippy597 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2022, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
I would think they are steel drums. No frictions or steels. The billet Aluminum direct drum is the go to one. 34 element sprag. that's good. The forward drum in steel is fine. Direct clutch hub is steel. Says both have aluminum pistons which is good. Good prices.
I do all my own T400 work so I am familiar with them and also work with steel.
My trans has all the good stuff you can have but still has stock drums, input and intermediate shafts.
The new engine will put the trans to the test.
Just not sure if I want to be the first guinea pig on hard T400 parts from China .
I bought one of their T400 yokes a couple years ago. I do not think I am even going to use it. If it breaks the car is all but destroyed. I run a yoke out of a 68 Olds station wagon I trust more and will buy a USA billet for a upgrade.
Probably get a carbon fiber drive shaft that goes poof if it brakes. Again, saving the car. But I do have a .093 wall Strange driveline right now.
I think paying the piper and getting Coans 2800$ kit with billet aluminum drums is a better bet than the untested Speedmaster kit.
The + 1800$ price would seem like chump change if you tear up the trans and maybe wreck the car.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I hear you. I feel pretty much the same way. I spent the $1800 and went with the Reid SFI tranny case.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered an intake and got it over night!Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Yes I hear you. I feel pretty much the same way. I spent the $1800 and went with the Reid SFI tranny case.
Well, Mitch from Speedmaster gave me a call about 6 tonight. He just got off the phone with his guy in Australia. And he told me they are not steel. The forward and reverse drums are actually made from 7075 aircraft aluminum. The online add is incorrect.
And the input shaft and intermediate shafts are made from 300M steel alloy.
Coan sells both 4340 input shafts and 300M shafts with the latter being their best.
And they give you 30 days to inspect their parts for a full cash refund. After 30 days you pay shipping and get store credit.
I just might do it. Billet aluminum center support too. Could do their sfi case too.
It would cost about 2K for the front aluminum drum- aluminum direct drum kit, billet aluminum center support with 10% larger piston and sfi case.
The CNC heads are available. Have not been flowed yet but they have a 220cc runner. Could be 230 I will ask him tomorrow.
And they are going to make a 87cc round port head for us.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Next time you talk to the salesperson, ask him why Pontiac heads are so much more expensive than say AMC, or olds heads are. I know they outsell either of those makes, but we still pay substantially more than either.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-27-2022, 09:56 AM

Will they be making a D port?

Old 11-27-2022, 10:44 AM

That’s good news on the 87cc head for sure opens up the market for a lot of folks.This is just my opinion without data but I think the pricing for speedmaster heads are higher than any brand they sale because of Eldebrock.Let me explain I feel like when Eldebrock first copied the RA4 head they didn’t think it would sale that well and the price was adjusted accordingly.To make back the investment as quickly as possible they overpriced them as we are still paying the price for that today.As far as lower volume engines having cheaper prices I feel like there was a lesson learned from Eldebrock and no need to price gouging that much for lower volume makes there on out.All in all the marketing team dropped the ball on or Eheads from day 1.This post has 0 to do with there heads just marketing and pricing…

Old 11-27-2022, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Well, Mitch from Speedmaster gave me a call about 6 tonight. He just got off the phone with his guy in Australia. And he told me they are not steel. The forward and reverse drums are actually made from 7075 aircraft aluminum. The online add is incorrect.
Coan sells both 4340 input shafts and 300M shafts with the latter being their best.
And they give you 30 days to inspect their parts for a full cash refund. After 30 days you pay shipping and get store credit.
I just might do it. Billet aluminum center support too. Could do their sfi case too.
It would cost about 2K for the front aluminum drum- aluminum direct drum kit, billet aluminum center support with 10% larger piston and sfi case.
The CNC heads are available. Have not been flowed yet but they have a 220cc runner. Could be 230 I will ask him tomorrow.

Well, it sounds like a pretty good deal. The SFI tranny case has the same pieces that came with my Reid case. I cannot beleive the price. Pisses me off what I paid for mine. One third what I paid just for the case.

From my reading at the time on these SFI tranny cases, there are Reid and ATI cases, then both Summit and Jegs carry what they call their brand, then both summit and Jegs have the one called speedmasters. Jegs has it on for $1010 right now. Something tells me these are all cast at the same foundry. Your gonna need a bell housing, This is the same one I'm running as Reid bell housings weren't available when I bought the tranny. I looked this bellhousing over really well, and it fit everywhere like a glove. I did cut the very top bolt hole off with a hacksaw and it was solid aluminum and very solid. Jegs has a couple.. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60334/10002/-1
You might as well get a new roller tail housing also.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

D Port would be nice

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 11-27-2022, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We pay what they ask unfortunately, we just bend over and get shafted!!

Right now Summit has AMC heads by Edelbrock list for 25 bucks less a set the the Pontiac / Edelbrock RPM heads.
Are they then asking us to believe that they sell more AMC heads then Pontiac which is why we get charged more, I don’t think so, do you?

Is there 25 bucks more Aluminum used in casting a Pontiac head, no way!

Old 11-27-2022, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Until the manufacturers bring Pontiac aluminum heads back into line with the other offerings, I will vote with my wallet, and not pay the extra cost, since I feel it is unjustified,

I have a set of RA IV heads, as well as a set of HO heads that will likely be fine for anything I do as far as a street car at my age. It's not like I want to build another dirt track race car at this stage of my life. Aluminum would be nice, but I'm not going to pay that extra tariff over other brands.

I don't know that anyone has ever had a serious justification for the pricing structure from any manufacturer, since the heads were introduced by Edelbrock.

Wenzler has heads on his site for $1100, that is going in the right direction. Speedmaster $1193, but only once in a blue moon can you get that pricing. Just under $2000 is regular pricing. In the words of Marshall Lucky, on the movie, Used Cars, "That's just TFH".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ip8gspFaH8

Olds heads, currently on sale, $780, SB mopar $699, SB ford $657, a little more than half of Pontiac price.........

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 11-27-2022 at 02:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 02:56 PM

I guess I'm amazed at the head choices available now. Compared to back in the early 90s when I started messing with my car. Roundport heads were rare and expensive.

The speedmaster roundport heads are tempting. But I guess I'd spend the extra $ for D port Edelbrock since they flow so well and have a heat crossover. Then could use my manifolds.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post

I just checked the website and yes the ported ones are available which sucks cause I already ordered the standard ones after them telling me they weren't available for order yet. Wish they had more info, I'm just gonna keep my order in for the stock heads.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:18 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to X72GPX

Does anyone know what CFM's these flow?

Old 11-27-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72GPX View Post
They're brand new I'm not even sure they know yet. When I called he stated he didn't have any of that info.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you offer a cnc ported head but don't know any details on them? That really seems odd to me

Old 11-28-2022, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
How do you offer a cnc ported head but don't know any details on them? That really seems odd to me
Yeah one reason I'm sticking with the stock ones. Hopefully by next year people will have more info on them and if I need a set I'll buy one next black friday.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72GPX View Post
I was told they are very new and have not been flowed yet.
Oh, and I did ask why they cost double a Olds head. He said that was above his pay grade.

Last edited by Dragncar; 11-28-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same BS double talk every time someone asks a legitimate question that receives a politician type answer.

I think the answer is, because we can, and we will charge what we want. Edelbrock already conditioned the market, and since the people want the product, they'll pay an exorbitant price for it.

I guess I'll be sticking to my cast iron round ports. If I want a decent priced aluminum head, I guess I need a Rocket engine, that'll never happen though. The only olds engine I ever had in any of my cars was the 5.7 diesel in an 81 Bonneville.

Thanks Dragncar, for asking the question though........

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: