Old 12-07-2022, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

" Then about the mid 70s, some people decided that they could do a better job of keeping fresh gas in the secondary side of the carb bowls by adding a secondary idle system THAT YOU COULD ADJUST. MORE OF A MARKETING DEAL VS ANYTHING ELSE.
The open plenum and divided intake manifolds still worked fine with the 2 corner idle system. Dual metering blocks vs a metering plate where you could screw with the settings externally and really foul things up."

Good info Tom as always, however, I seriously doubt that this applies to anyone on here reading this. If you can get thru an entire tank of fuel driving one of these cars without at least one full throttle blast I'd like to hear about it!.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-07-2022, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
" . If you can get thru an entire tank of fuel driving one of these cars without at least one full throttle blast I'd like to hear about it!.........
I always find it amazing how much fuel a car uses making a quarter mile pass.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 12-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not for nothing but I've been in the hobby coming up on 50 years and have owned close to a dozen pretty fast older cars, and can't remmeber ever making it thru a tank of fuel without trying to knock the rear tires off them at least once or twice!......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
" Then about the mid 70s, some people decided that they could do a better job of keeping fresh gas in the secondary side of the carb bowls by adding a secondary idle system THAT YOU COULD ADJUST. MORE OF A MARKETING DEAL VS ANYTHING ELSE.
The open plenum and divided intake manifolds still worked fine with the 2 corner idle system. Dual metering blocks vs a metering plate where you could screw with the settings externally and really foul things up."

Good info Tom as always, however, I seriously doubt that this applies to anyone on here reading this. If you can get thru an entire tank of fuel driving one of these cars without at least one full throttle blast I'd like to hear about it!.........
Your #4781 carb was a 850 cfm 2 corner idle carburetor (not 4 corner idle), and I believe that after we got the air bleeds
and jetting right the dyno people, said "This carb is perfect don't touch anything".

So the engine in your application did not need the 4 corner idle "marketing mods" to make very good power on the dyno.
And the tuning was done over the phone.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.