The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Default Body Bolt Problem or How to remove Bolts Correctly

Hi All,

I am trying to remove all of the body bolts on my 67 GTO convertible, so I can lift the body up, repair the frame and re place all of the bolts.
Out of the 12 bolts, the 2 that hold the radiator support came out, 8 of the back 10 snapped and 2 just turn and turn.
Can I get some advice here on removing the 2 that are turning (I was advised to use a Sawzall with a metal blade) I do own a plasma cutter, an oxy set up and quite a few sized cut off wheels. On the ones that snapped, what do I do to remove the broken studs so they can be replaced with new ones?
I haven't done a body off in about 25 years so my brain is rusty. Gas tank is removed and fuel lines are dry.

Thanks
Jack
67 GTO

Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just torch them off. Or the head off anyway. Then once the body is off you can access them better to get them off and replace the fasteners.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the bolts are similar to a 69, they screw into caged nuts, and the ones turning are doing so because the "cage" will no longer retain them. I had to cut a couple of square holes in my floor to get at them to replace/fix the cage. If you cut (from the top of the floor) 3 sides to a square and peel the metal back, you can then remove the nuts, repair the cages, and put the metal back down and weld. Caged nuts were used here to give you some body adjustment to the frame.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
If the bolts are similar to a 69, they screw into caged nuts, and the ones turning are doing so because the "cage" will no longer retain them. I had to cut a couple of square holes in my floor to get at them to replace/fix the cage. If you cut (from the top of the floor) 3 sides to a square and peel the metal back, you can then remove the nuts, repair the cages, and put the metal back down and weld. Caged nuts were used here to give you some body adjustment to the frame.
did 3 or 4 this way on my gto. easy.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:30 AM

Did the same thing on my 70. Marked and then cut a small hole just big enough to access the cage nut. I only had one bolt give me a problem. Once I had access it came right out some assistance topside.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

I will try this tomorrow
Thanks all
Jack