Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is called a "thermo spring". It's for cold starts. It attaches to a butterfly flap in the manifold which restricts exhaust flow to help heat the engine. I believe our benefactor has reproductions available.

The early '67 428 w/Armasteel crank that I picked up a while back had the same manifolds. Guy took it out of a wrecked GP with 8k miles back in early '68. Fortunately he disassembled it and stored it correctly. Anyway ... nice find. Can you see the side of the block? Is it a "GME" casting by chance?

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s
Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled a red fuel filter just like that off of a 60,000-mile 66 LeMans I parted a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was original, but it was an AC Delco filter. Had the return line as well. This was a 326 2 barrel with A/C.
Importsmasher

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Fuel filter is an A/C equipt / HO unit. Used from 65 -69 IIRC.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
That is called a "thermo spring". It's for cold starts. It attaches to a butterfly flap in the manifold which restricts exhaust flow to help heat the engine. I believe our benefactor has reproductions available.

The early '67 428 w/Armasteel crank that I picked up a while back had the same manifolds. Guy took it out of a wrecked GP with 8k miles back in early '68. Fortunately he disassembled it and stored it correctly. Anyway ... nice find. Can you see the side of the block? Is it a "GME" casting by chance?

Is the GME on the bottom side? I was scraping underneath looking for a 428 stamping....do they have a 428 like a 455 would have stamped on the lower portion of the block? What is the significance of the GME casting?

Cool info on the therm spring. So that red thing maybe original equipment on the fuel line then 'eh?

Also, would the VIN NOT be stamped on this early of an engine...didn't VIN's start in 68 or so?? I've scrapped the usual areas for the VIN and nothing found, so I assume it isn't there....