Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 AM
Senior Chief

Default Rally Shifter Commonality?

Does anyone know if a rally bump (not his/hers) shifter is the same from car to car in 1969? I understand the mounting feet and face plates are different for say a 1969 Firebird and 1969 Lemans/GTO, but is the base shifter unit the same?

Would it be possible to take the 1969 lemans shifter and put it in the stock console of a 69 firebird with a change over of the mounting feet and face plate?

The 69 firebird shifters go for 2X the cost of a 69 lemans, from the pictures I have seen the base units look the same.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

I should have clarified, the shifter is intended to go into a 68 Firebird, I make reference to the 69 Firebird as I know I can adapt a 69 FB shifter into a 68 Firebird

Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I've done this. The shifters are basically the same, you can simply change the bodies over to the mounting pedestal you need. Been a while since I've done it but if I remember right you just have to drill a couple of pop rivets, swap the parts and fasten back together with your preferred method (rivets/bolts)

Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Never heard of a "Rally Bump". Is this something offered by PMD or was it aftermarket? Any photos of one?

Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard it called many different names, but I believe the official name I hear more often is "rally" shifter. I call it a ratchet shifter myself.

Either way, it appears in every way as a stock standard shifter on the outside but it has a ratchet mechanism feature so it can be manually shifted one gear at a time if pulled back into first gear, it has the ability to be pushed sideways and clicks up one gear. Nothing on the outside of the shifter indicates that it does this, unless you physically try it. I actually like this shifter better than the his/hers.

Dad's 69 GTO came factory with the rally (ratchet) shifter and I've always liked it. He recently wanted a his and hers installed that he bought 45 years ago. His and Hers is currently in the car and I just haven't been a total fan of it, the shifts don't feel as positive to me like the rally shifter does and if you aren't precise and careful with the his/hers, you can still bump it past the gear you want, and the extra gate adds confusion anyway. Neat gimmick back in the day.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

Original woodgrain decal had 1 2 3 on them and easiest way to tell is push shifter to the right. It is spring loaded, ratchets up one gear and springs back. Just fyi shiftworks overdrive conversion is not compatible with them.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I've heard it called many different names, but I believe the official name I hear more often is "rally" shifter. I call it a ratchet shifter myself.

Either way, it appears in every way as a stock standard shifter on the outside but it has a ratchet mechanism feature so it can be manually shifted one gear at a time if pulled back into first gear, it has the ability to be pushed sideways and clicks up one gear. Nothing on the outside of the shifter indicates that it does this, unless you physically try it. I actually like this shifter better than the his/hers.

Dad's 69 GTO came factory with the rally (ratchet) shifter and I've always liked it. He recently wanted a his and hers installed that he bought 45 years ago. His and Hers is currently in the car and I just haven't been a total fan of it, the shifts don't feel as positive to me like the rally shifter does and if you aren't precise and careful with the his/hers, you can still bump it past the gear you want, and the extra gate adds confusion anyway. Neat gimmick back in the day.
On my 67 with the H/H shifter, if you are over in the manual (right) gate and push the lever to the right it will only go up one notch at a time. If you just push it forward it will go to far if not careful.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 01-14-2020, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by antique69lemans View Post
Original woodgrain decal had 1 2 3 on them and easiest way to tell is push shifter to the right. It is spring loaded, ratchets up one gear and springs back. Just fyi shiftworks overdrive conversion is not compatible with them.
Beat me to it!!

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 01-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
On my 67 with the H/H shifter, if you are over in the manual (right) gate and push the lever to the right it will only go up one notch at a time. If you just push it forward it will go to far if not careful.
Yep, and you have to make sure you have firm right pressure on the shifter as you move it too, because if you're too gentle with it, it will skip a gear and not catch the notch to stop the shifter.

I just wasn't a fan from the get go. Never liked the idea that if you wanted the manual gate, you have to push the shifter up into neutral then over and back into gear again. Not something you want to do on the fly either. It's why I've grown accustomed to the new for 69 rally shifter design, it's all done in one gate with a simple spring.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Nothing on the outside of the shifter indicates that it does this, unless you physically try it. .
Slotted hole in the dust shield on the rally shifter.

Clay

Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Slotted hole in the dust shield on the rally shifter.

Clay
Standard shifter has the slotted hole too, have a couple of those here. They use the same plastic insert, least on the originals that I have.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:20 PM
Senior Chief

I just did the best comparison online that I could between a 69 firebird and 69 lemans shifter assemblies.
They look the same to me, except for the shifter shaft looks obviously longer on the lemans versions. Can the shifter shafts be removed and replaced between the units?

Is there an aftermarket 4 speed conversion kit that works with the rally shifter?

I will also mention that the bezel on the rally shifter is wider to allow the shifter to be pushed to the right, something else to consider.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://shiftworks.com/products/1968...conversion-kit

Old 01-14-2020, 03:30 PM

Never realized the 69 Bird Shifter used a shorter shaft.

As far as Shiftworks OD plate compatibility, they say no:
"The conversion was not designed for, and does not include any provision for, use of the "Rally" shifting option. Continued use of this option should be tested with the engine off. There will be NO STOP for the Overdrive. "

Not sure if you've seen this site http://thepartguy.com/shifters.htm. He may be able to answer some of your questions.