Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i just use a stock type HEI with a good coil nothing fancy. works great on the 11 second firebird for years no issues

Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaca85 View Post
i just use a stock type HEI with a good coil nothing fancy. works great on the 11 second firebird for years no issues
I agree this is the best simple solution for a street car. And cheapest. I ran high 10's with the same setup - a stock HEI with a good coil.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mback12000 View Post
If the dwell (point gap) changes, then the timing will change.
As long as you've lubed the rubbing block, wear is negligible. Most
dwell change was the result of live contacts. If they're just triggering
an MSD, they pretty much last forever.

Besides, even crank triggers need attention sometimes.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 PM

Had one installed on my 65 since 2002- never an issue. I replaced it several months ago with a new Pertronix and flame thrower coil. Not because the old unit failed, but felt it was time due to age. No troubles so far with new unit.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To me, nothing beats old stock Delco points and condenser. The most reliable, and the car always starts quickly.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
As long as you've lubed the rubbing block, wear is negligible. Most
dwell change was the result of live contacts. If they're just triggering
an MSD, they pretty much last forever.

Besides, even crank triggers need attention sometimes.
Correct. I use the felt pad soaked in oil that keeps the rubbing block lubed pretty well. I don't even bother lubing it as a maintenance practice. Matter of fact the 20 year old points I pulled out of my firebird that had about 45,000 miles on them looked virtually unscathed on the rubbing block and compared identical to the new set I put in. I could have simply filed the contacts on those points to clean them up a bit and put them back in service. There was really no need to even change them but I let a few guys here talk me into it when I was racing the car stating it would help, but the car never ran any quicker.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Correct. I use the felt pad soaked in oil that keeps the rubbing block lubed pretty well. I don't even bother lubing it as a maintenance practice. Matter of fact the 20 year old points I pulled out of my firebird that had about 45,000 miles on them looked virtually unscathed on the rubbing block and compared identical to the new set I put in. I could have simply filed the contacts on those points to clean them up a bit and put them back in service. There was really no need to even change them but I let a few guys here talk me into it when I was racing the car stating it would help, but the car never ran any quicker.
Sorry, I don't mean to beat this to death, but if you didn't put a dwell meter on it you can't really know what changed in 45k miles. I'm not convinced you can see normal rubbing block wear. In 45k miles the nylon just isn't as long as it used to be and the dwell is different and therefore your timing has moved. Unless of course you have done maintenance. Yes I know what you're probably thinking, the car ran fine, lol.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mback12000 View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to beat this to death, but if you didn't put a dwell meter on it you can't really know what changed in 45k miles. I'm not convinced you can see normal rubbing block wear. In 45k miles the nylon just isn't as long as it used to be and the dwell is different and therefore your timing has moved. Unless of course you have done maintenance. Yes I know what you're probably thinking, the car ran fine, lol.
I put a dwell meter on it once a year, never had to touch the adjustment for many years.

Usually what I find (have 4 cars with points) is that an initial new set of points requires a few periodic checks, and usually a quick adjustment, but after a few thousand miles they tend to settle in and I simply don't have to adjust anything. I still make it a routine to check it once a year but I never find they need anything despite the internet rumors.

Here's the car with a 20 year old set of points in it. As I usually do once a year, or when planning a track outing, I toss on the dwell meter and check it. It's always a rock solid 30 degrees. Simply didn't have to touch it. Like I said, later on that same year, last year, I was talked into replacing the points. The plastic rubbing block was virtually identical to the new set going in. It showed no excessive wear anyplace. These things, if installed properly, using a "good" set of points, oiled correctly, and in a good points distributor that isn't worn or wobbling, are dead nuts reliable and require very little maintenance.

https://youtu.be/er1z7PpqsnY