Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

Default RE

Yeah Jon... Even a tripower newbie like myself couldn't believe it. One thing after another. They are the nicest "looking" units I have ever seen. Made me think the guy was a pro. The floats were set perfectly and that's about it. When I noticed the front pump rod backwards (rubbing the carb body) it made me think of just how much of a "non-professional" this restorer actually was. I almost feel like I could get thru another set without issues now. Great expereince I guess.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Senior Chief

Read the entire post, great info. I am having one of the issues, all plugs are wet. Mike rebuilt my units we have replaced the needle valve, I am getting good vacuum. Fuel pressure may still be an issue. What are you using to regulate, and how to you have it mounted? We do have ethanol free fuel available here which I run.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

Default Re

I have the regulator mounted right after the pump between the pump and steel line to the fuel filter. Its the mr gasket style with one in and ine out abd you can turn a dial to adjust. 30.00 at summit. I just tied it back with a zip tie to hold it close so it wouldnt get in the way of anything. My plugs are still a hair wet as well. I have it at 3.5psi now. Still runs a a little rich though, but it idles good with good vacuum. I am two jet sizes higher than stock but mike wasson says he does that due to ethanol and the way it burns. I also added the phenolic spacers under the carbs to help with bubbling fuel going into the carbs when it shouldn't.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We did the same thing with the adjustable regulator. It is mounted a little higher but still hid below the alternator. I also agree with keeping the pressure at 4 PSI or under - and check it out with a gauge that you trust. I've never seen a small fuel pressure gauge (Holley, Summit, etc...) that wasn't off almost 2 PSI. Those are more for looks than anything else.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im having issues with mine on my 389. Started it after a month of sitting and it wouldn't idle right and put me to my knees from the exhaust burning my eyes. When i shut it off in the fall it ran fine. Now not so much, dual point dizzy. So, with the info you posted i at least have a good starting point.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First, check to see if gas is dripping into the end carb throats when idling. If it is, you have a bad float or leaking needle/seat. Sometimes, I find the seat is not tight in the carb airhorn, allowing gas to bypass and fill the bowl too full.

Not likely you have a vacuum leak if it ran awhile ago, but not now. To check, put your hand over the end carbs one at a time to see if idle changes. If it does, the throttle plates on that carb are not tightly shut.

Keep us updated and we'll get this fixed pronto!!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A lot of good info in the thread. Would make a good sticky.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Depends on your altitude, at sealevel i believe the 389 came with 58 center carb and 68-70’s on the outer carbs

Old 02-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having trouble understanding what you’re getting at with your post. No Tripowers were produced with standard 2 bbl. carbs, off a ‘58 or later 2 bbl. engine.

Sea level does have an effect on carb tuning, but has nothing to do with the manufacturers’ selection of carb sizes or models.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Dick, just reading 2+2=421's post, I believe he was implying that the center carb had 58 jets and the end carbs had 68 to 70 jets.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.