Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 04-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

update- Installed Holley fuel pressure regulator. Set at 3.5 lbs. as suggested by Mike Wasson of Pontiac Tripowers. This regulator dialed right in, no problems. DEFINITELY made a difference. 3.5 lbs. of pressure allowed me to adjust screws on center carb throttle body as before, with 5-7 lbs. of pressure, I had no adjustment. Still a little rich, especially on restarts ( 3-10 minutes sitting idle) but no more "cloud of gas" on restarts. So I feel I am getting there and going in the right direction. I will call Mike again tomorrow and see about "cutting down" the fuel even more. I must say though, she runs like a bat outta $%^& !!! Very pleased with the power level, for street driving, with a 455, 6x heads, tripower, Lunati 10510704. Any more power and I would need traction upgrades for sure. I'm sliding around quite a bit now, but hey, I LIKE IT!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Very Old cars used to have Gravity Feed fuel systems and were able to have the engine run fine with basically no fuel pressure to the carb. So a couple of psi right after the regulator (next to the carb) should be ok for a driver. On a single WOT out of the engine you will have 3 bowls full of fuel so the fuel should still be there without the high pressure for a Burst of Speed. Your post does not surprise me a bit.

Most err on the side of too much fuel pressure on a street car which can cause the issues you had, be it a Tri-Power, Holley Carb, or Q-Jet.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Most err on the side of too much fuel pressure on a street car which can cause the issues you had, be it a Tri-Power, Holley Carb, or Q-Jet.

Tom V.
Along with too large an orifice in the fuel valve seat!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Chief

Final update as Mike W. fixed the problem/problems. I ended up sending center carb back to Mike. I had done everything I knew to do and she still was starting/running rich. Mike changed the needle and seat, just in case the new one was bad or got damaged. Then he replaced the throttle body since he found some "odd casting" near the adjustment screw that wouldn't adjust. Also replaced adjusting screws and used a "different throttle blade with smaller bleed holes." Whatever it was outta these things or maybe a combo of things, it worked. No more flooding on the hot starts, adjusts fine, and runs like a bat outta $%^& !!! Very happy. Thanks everyone for all the help. Next job.......

Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

I have/had the same problem. It usually happens at the first start of the year, or when the car sits for a long period of time. Mike did my carbs 10 years ago and they have been fine all this time, but this problem started last year. I have the (old style American made) brass floats and check-ball needle and seats.

This year, when I attempted to start the car the center and front started spewing gas from the hole in the accelerator pump. The carbs looked like water fountains.

After several attempts trying to start the car and it flooding, I gently tapped the carbs with a dead blow hammer and that seemed to free up whatever was stuck, and the flooding stopped. The car has been fine ever since.

I blame the crappy ethanol gas even though I threw a can of SeaFoam and Stabilizer in the tank and ran it through the system prior to winter storage. Ethanol is ruining everything. I can't even keep my weedwhackers running anymore.

I will probably send my carbs to Mike again over the winter for an overhaul.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah, Mike is a good guy. Stands behind his work. I think he told me about 5-7 year life expectancy with his kits. I am fortunate to have no ethanol gas available but the new kits Mike has are ethanol compatible. The floats aren't brass anymore either. So ten years is pretty darn good!!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Senior Chief

Mike is a great guy.

I'm not giving up my brass floats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead59 View Post
Yeah, Mike is a good guy. Stands behind his work. I think he told me about 5-7 year life expectancy with his kits. I am fortunate to have no ethanol gas available but the new kits Mike has are ethanol compatible. The floats aren't brass anymore either. So ten years is pretty darn good!!!!