67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Chief View Post
Looks like that`s a generic disclaimer listed on all cars.
oh - really?

I've never been to one of those shows, so I'll take your word on that.

Seems like a weird disclaimer to put on all cars(?) - don't states issue vins only for vehicles that have something suspect about them?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-04-2022, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

The auction companies all have disclaimers regarding the originality and condition of the vehicles they run through their events. It is difficult for them to fully inspect and verify all vehicles. I have attended and purchased vehicles from many of the auction companies and in my opinion, Barrett Jackson currently does the best at insuring sellers accurately represent their vehicles. An other major auction company makes no attempt at correcting sellers representation of their vehicles.

Attached are examples of two lots sold at Barrett-Jackson this past week. They clearly note the re-body and VIN issues. These descriptions were both changed at the event. If you would have read the descriptions on their website or on the window when they first arrived, they would not have noted the re-body and VIN issues. The Barrett-Jackson staff inspected and were able to determine the issues and had the window cards changed prior to the car going across the block. they also made mention of the changes to the vehicle description when announcing the car on the block.

The TA that is the topic of this thread did not have any adjustments made to the description. I don't think anyone has stepped up with any certainty of how the car was restored. Anyone at the event and inspecting the TA could make their own determination of condition and originality of the car. I passed on it based on my inspection and information I gathered prior to the auction. Ultimately the car sold for what I think is a fair value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A1CA73-BAAC-4577-B8C6-418C9685EB70.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	583498   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DA5BC79-E50B-4CDD-B947-6C38ED5E3D48.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	583499  

The Following User Says Thank You to Wakepowell For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Chief View Post
There is no indication of a body swap to me, can anyone change my mind?
I personally don`t agree with all the negative comments without anything to back it up, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just my opinion about the body rumors, and no I didn't buy the car.
KC
what ive been told, (i have no actual knowledge other than hearsay) is that the chp found the vin didnt match the hidden vin on the firewall. im sure jim mattison could talk legally about it since he was brought into it thru phs to verify the car.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
what ive been told, (i have no actual knowledge other than hearsay) is that the chp found the vin didnt match the hidden vin on the firewall. im sure jim mattison could talk legally about it since he was brought into it thru phs to verify the car.
Got ya, Thanks Gary

Old 02-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Very well respected and knowledgeable Pontiac source told me the body and engine didn't corelate to the tag...

Old 02-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

engine not matching is no big deal as a large percentage of the cars dont have their numbers matching engines. a lot of them show the vin number to match but pontiac has the records of the engine unit number (number above the engine code) that goes with the car and might in a certain situation be proved to be a restamp. but the vin not matching the hidden numbers stamped on the body, well that is a big deal.

The Following User Says Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim was not at BJ this year im told.Tom