Old 07-21-2022, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Gauges

I am ready to pull the trigger on modern gauges for my car. When they did the LS swap, they just ‘rigged’ everything to work with the factory gauges. The gauges ‘work’ but the do not work ‘well.’

For example, the install manual mentions the need for a ‘pull-up’ resistor to make a factory tach recognize the low-voltage RPM signal from the LS bulkhead. If you roll on the throttle gradually, the tach keeps up fairly well. But if you really get on it, the tach drops to 0 and then comes back to life when you let off the throttle.

Also, the fuel gauge reads 1/2 when the tank is empty (ask me how I know…)

Anyway - I am really digging the newer Dakota gauges that mimic the factory OE look. But they are back ordered til January and are close to $1,500.00.

I have found a set of Dakotas on the shelf for about 1/2 that - but they are the set that does not have that OE TA ‘look.’

I am attaching photos of both. The new OE style set is only pictured with the wood grain bezel - of course, I’ve got a nice engine turned Bezel. The set thats on the shelf today is pictured in an engine turned bezel, so that’s exactly what it would look like in May car.

If the OE one was the same cost and on the shelf - you bet I’d go with it. But at almost double the cost and back ordered til January, I’m wondering if the other set would look just fine in my car?

Any thoughts welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBEE6B28-C68F-4B03-9172-B8FD96DA7AD1.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	594756   Click image for larger version

Name:	E74E2835-D474-4E07-B1DA-8AAC1DB365FC.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	594757   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A9A8770-9912-4235-B21A-7FE66975C530.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	594758  

Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Autometer to the rescue! I may end up pulling the trigger on Dakotas at some point, but I’m going to start here (for under $200.00) and then see if a simple sending unit will have my fuel gauge reading correctly.

https://www.autometer.com/ls-plug-pl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds