Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-18-2023, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Could pulling left while braking be alignment?

I’ve been working towards getting my 62 Safari road worthy.

On short test drives it pulls left pretty good when you brake. Not bad when going slow but up over 45 it gets worse. Obviously I suspected the right side brakes.

I have verified that all the wheel cylinders have fluid going to them. The front right brake is working. I adjusted it tighter. Verified the wheel doesn’t move when the pedal is pressed. Took the drum off and it looked pretty good.

The thing 100% needs an alignment and most of the front bushings. It wanders bad and pulls left when you let go of the wheel.

Could the braking left just be caused by a super bad alignment?

The only other thing I can think with the brakes is the RH front hose is partially blocked so even though it’s flowing maybe it’s flowing slower than the LH.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 05-18-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a smashed piece of steel tubing on the front crossmember that was causing my right brake to apply more slowly than my left, so if I hit the brakes hard enough it would want to pull left, so I can see that scenario.

On my first '77 Trans Am, the right caliper froze up from rust - I'd have a slight pull to the right all the time, then a huge dart to the left when I hit the brakes.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

It's possible if one side of the car has poor condition bushings or tie rods while the other side does not. That can cause enough deflection to make the car pull. As you suspect however, it's likely in the brakes.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled the RF drum off yesterday and made my girlfriend press the medal. 100% that brake is operating. But it is possible there is a flow disparity.

I was really trying to avoid cracking a brake fluid line until I decide to do the whole MS/booster setup. But maybe I’ll have to replace that soft line and see what happens.

I will inspect the hard line too. I didn't think about a kinked hardline because its usually the soft lines that are the culprits.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 05-18-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

I had a similar issue with my GTO a few years ago. The problem was a collapsed/rotted flex brake hose.