Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-19-2023, 07:30 PM

Default 9” Ford/ Currie end cap issue

Hey guys,
I bought this 71 firebird several years ago and the guy i bought it from forgot to put differential fluid in the differential and messed up the rear end. The differential bearings were toasted so I had all that rebuilt.
I am now finishing up the build on the car with a dyno of 560hp and 650ft lbs of torque.

When starting the motor I put the car on jack stands an notices the drivers side rear tire wobbling. My first thought was a bent axle so I went ahead and ordered a couple of axles. I looked a little closer and noticed one of the end caps of the axle had been chewed up some so i deburred the metal with a dremal tool to ensure everything was smooth. I am not sure if I should go ahead and replace the end cap or not. Can someone give me advice here? I am including a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	612913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2830.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	612914  

Old 05-22-2023, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I would throw some bearings in it and as long as they seated snugly and evenly, send it. I think chances are better than not that it will be totally fine.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-22-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Personally, I would throw some bearings in it and as long as they seated snugly and evenly, send it. I think chances are better than not that it will be totally fine.
Thanks for the reply, and exactly what I plan on doing. I went ahead and ordered ne axles from Currie and going to seat them ina and see how it goes. Th axles he used were really questionable anyway.