Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-24-2023, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why didn't that show up during break-in? Didn't anyone check the oil?

Old 04-24-2023, 05:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Just a suggestion - take it for what it's worth.....

I'd pay for someone to THOROUGHLY SONIC-CHECK all the cylinder walls in that block before you put it all back together.

My concern would be that when there is a thin enough wall in any one spot for a pinhole, there's probably more than one thin spot or thin cylinders.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe's Garage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2023, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pressure test!

Old 04-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Why didn't that show up during break-in? Didn't anyone check the oil?
I did some googling and I assume it’s a heat cycle thing from all I read. I have the dyno video. Ran fine. Yes the oil was changed here. 100% normal. New oil and filter before startup

Old 04-24-2023, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
I'd pay for someone to THOROUGHLY SONIC-CHECK all the cylinder walls in that block before you put it all back together.

My concern would be that when there is a thin enough wall in any one spot for a pinhole, there's probably more than one thin spot or thin cylinders.

Good luck!
THIS^^^. If the block has core-shift or was overbored enough for a pinhole in one cylinder, the odds of the other cylinders being too thin are high. I would want a new block, the $$$ you have invested in this thing.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I asked the builder to pressure test it before assembly and he has no problem with that. He didn’t mag it because it came “tagged” from a person who is supposed to be on the up and up. I won’t name his business until I see what he’s gonna do but he was a reputable source supposedly. If presentation counts the way it looked delivered then I can see why the mistake was made. The thing I appreciate is that it was owned by my assembler and I will have nothing further in it.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wondering if a pinhole wouldn't be rather difficult to detect with magnafluxing? Cracks show up easily but not sure if there would be a recognizable pattern with a round dot. I farm the magging out so no experience with it.

Way back in my life I worked for a pump manufacturer. Pinholes were a pretty common experience in the castings and these were new pieces so wall thickness wasn't part of the problem. All it takes is a void (glorified little air pocket) close to the finished surface or casting debris. Either of these will lead to an eventual failure but difficult to find beforehand.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wondering / curious if the pinhole in cylinder was from INTERIOR rust corrosion .

No matter what anyone's comment looks like in print , be assured we are all pulling for you and wish you success on this car.
The engine saga has sure been a wild ride.

Maybe you will find a briefcase full of cash someday as a karma payback.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The block is now .30 over. My machinist said he has had this happen once before on a Ford. I don’t think it shows up on magnaflux.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep they rust from inside out. Unfortunately you can’t see inside. Tough because you never know. SUCKS!

Old 04-24-2023, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The block was delivered clean as a pin, wrapped in plastic and didn’t appear rustier than any other block I’ve ever seen that weren’t immediate pullouts. If this one goes south I will park the damn car and save for an Indian adventures. I screwed myself in that my first 455 block was free and I put a lot of money in a rotating assembly for that block. Now I am stuck with that rotating assembly. Much easier/cheaper to find 400 than a 455

Old 04-24-2023, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blocks corrode internally; they also suffer from coolant erosion and cavitation. So the block on the outside may look super clean, like brand new. If you ever look inside with the freeze plugs out. You’ll see what I mean. Some times you can see allot of rust. Usually when you get the block the freeze plugs are in it.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it a 400 block or 455 block ?

Old 04-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s something you need to think about, if that one cylinder has pin hole after boring and pin hole developed because of corrosion/rust. How good is the rest of the block, I mean putting in one Sleeve to solve the problem is no guarantee down the road same issues won’t pop up in another cylinder when you least expect it. Some of these blocks are 50 years old. My decision will be save your money and buy IA block.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was my line of thinking too , Gach.
If one popped , others may follow.
I guess sonic testing might give clues.
And pulling all the freeze plugs just to get a visual idea compared to the appearance of the bad cylinder might give ballpark/horseshoe insight.

Sometimes its probably best to just grin and bear it. idunno

He uses 455 block / large main journals

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2023, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am gonna give it a chance and see how it does with the one sleeve. I want to enjoy the car ASAP! Even though I’m not done with the interior it is a great driver. I will start putting money aside in the event of failure. I know y’all think I’m stupid but I have confidence in my builder.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe 3rd time will be a charm, maybe not. Another 455 block would be a good investment since they are still available, albeit harder to find than 10 years ago. I think it's a bit premature to buy an aftermarket block considering the intended use of the car and the price would delay the project big time.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-25-2023, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am always looking for Pontiac blocks. The aftermarket block would take me two years to save for. I’ve depleted my big money. At this point I’m gonna run it. I don’t plan to scream the **** out of it on a daily basis so hopefully I will be alright. Something has to hold these projects up. I dodged the pain bullet so this is my cross to bear.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the repaired block will be an issue. We ran across an identical situation years ago with a 800+ HP Ford engine. The cylinder had been in service for decades and survived a dyno session. It started leaking immediately when installed in the vehicle.... The block was repaired with a sleeve and many years later it's still in service with zero issues.

Stuff like this happens when you are using fifty year old parts. The deal with the Ford was not detectable with a Sonic check.... I recall a lot of porosity issues with new aftermarket Pontiac blocks years ago. So spending $3500 for a "just incase" may not guarantee an issue free build.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Casting flaws are not uncommon. I've turned cast iron parts and run into mysterious trash in the casting. A void in the casting may have been uncovered when it was bored.

Good luck with your next attempt! I hope it runs for decades next time!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post: