Old 12-30-2021, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Master Cylinder repair kits for aftermarket MCs

Is there a way to track down repair kits for aftermarket master cylinders like Raybestos, Cardone etc. ?

I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for a 68 GTO all-drum-power master cylinder and they are pretty much unobtanium except for random, mostly incomplete NOS kits on ebay. So I'm thinking a rebuild kit for one of the direct replacement aftermarket or reconditioned master cylinders might work. But while those master cylinders are plentiful I can't track down any part numbers for the kits to rebuild them.

Kits that might work for my OEM MC are:
GM 5468331
GM 5462700
Doorman TM59064

I've searched these number pretty extensively and so far can't find anything currently being produced. Most of the numbers they cross to are also no longer produced ... so now a search for a kit to rebuild a replacement/aftermarket MC of the same type.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2021, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if this helps. Summit shows a bunch of kits for Raybestos. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...r-rebuild-kits

Maybe send these guys an email.. https://www.cardone.com/catalog/brak...eSize=8&sort=1

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep if something doesn't turn up I'm going to have to start contact manufacturers.

I know the parts exist, they are using them in all those reconditioned master cylinders.

A couple of the 1" bore kits at Summit look dang close.

Last edited by dataway; 12-30-2021 at 08:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use to take my water pumps to a place here and they would send them out for a rebuild. Was a little costly but they did good rebuilds. Maybe that's something you could look at if you can't find parts. Just a thought. I can always call them here and ask if they provide the service still. Let me know.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If necessary I can probably go that route too. I know an old timer (like me) that works at an non-corporate auto parts store ... he could probably hook me up with a rebuilder.

Raybestos interchange shows their MK497 kit crossing to the GM 5468331 ... but the MK497 is kind of scarce too, not seeing from my usual go to places ... but someone might have one stashed away.

Sent Raybestos an email seeing if they can find something that will work for me.

The rebuild kits for 68 GM A Bodies with power drum all around seem to be disappearing.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go the restoration route, I had good results with these guys: https://whitepost.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempest1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 04:36 PM

Hi Dataway, Wondering if you have had any luck finding a rebuild kit. I have been looking for the same part as well.
According to my research, a couple of other cross-references for the Raybestos MK497 are EIS E77032 and Wagner F85598.
NPD carries the Raybestos part but is out of stock, no ETA, but expect to get more in according to customer service. A call to the local NAPA resulted in "not available to order". Hopefully, this is just part of the lack of inventory due to the supply chain disruption and not permanent.
Inline Tube has a 1" kit part number INL13281 but I am not familiar with their quality. I need to locate a couple of good kits so wondering what you and others would recommend.

The Following User Says Thank You to Herding Goats For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still in the same boat ... looking for NOS stuff on ebay.

Weird how it just seems like everyone stopped making kits for the all drum masters ... even though tons of the repop/replacement master cylinders are still being offered.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I asked the same question in the 70-72 GTO section a few weeks back. Someone had posted the question, and got the part numbers, but don’t know if they ever tracked one down. I can’t find one anywhere. I did find 2 places on the net that had them listed as “in stock” but AFTER I placed the order I got an email saying they are actually OUT of stock.!
I have a ‘71 manual drum all around car BTW.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 01:51 PM

I spoke with White Post and they told me Raybestos has discontinued MK part numbers 1-1000. This is consistent with what I am hearing from the parts vendors. White Post does not use the kits and still has the parts needed to rebuild these. Said 3-4 days turn around which leaves plenty of time before summer. They are not set up to sell parts so I may just bite the bullet and ship mine off to them. Thanks tempest1964 for the recommendation. Of course I'll keep looking for the parts too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herding Goats For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 09:24 AM

Just want to add for anyone who finds this thread that the INL13281 is NOT the correct kit for our cars. The primary piston has a deep bore and the secondary has a longer stop at the front. The cups are not interchangeable as the pistons are of different diameters. The kit does not include check valves and the boot is different. I reached out to Inline Tube to see what this part actually fits and they do not seem to know, which is pretty disappointing. As suggested by dataway, I did have luck buying some kits off eBay, but beware the sellers know what they have and are pricing accordingly. Regarding what the rebuilders are using, I understand that they have the cups and such in their stock but are not willing to sell parts as they don't have the parts as kits by at least one. The chain parts stores by me do not have the rebuilt ones in stock locally or in their network, so ones from the bulk rebuilders may be coming to an end. One store is offering a Mopar style 1" MC for the new replacement. I have seen it work but of course, is not remotely correct in appearance. I can confirm the MK497 Raybestos number is correct and the rubber in the old kits I bought recently does seem to still be flexible. Would be a great find if we could source the individual cups!

The Following User Says Thank You to Herding Goats For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep I still have a notice in place every time one comes up on ebay, which is not often at all, and they seem to be going for $60-100.

Someone needs to get Ames on this, I'm sure the proper stuff could be cobbled together from parts still being produced.