Old 01-31-2023, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default In tank FI cleaner that actually does something?

Is there such an animal? I recall Tecron being mentioned as one that works, but I never noticed anything.

TBI system if it matters any.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seafoam

Old 01-31-2023, 07:23 PM
Senior Chief

Techron bottle (or gas) is great to use all the time. Otherwise marvel mystery oil in tank.

The Following User Says Thank You to 65madgoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I worked for an ACDelco warehouse distributor, the ACD technical rep recommended the ACD FI cleaner - which he told us was relabeled Chevron Techron FI clearner.

He said he personally only ran Top Tier fuel and a regular dose of ACD/Techron to maintain the FI system in his personal cars.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 07:30 PM
Senior Chief

I believe the Techron brand was the same as GM sold as their branded fuel injection cleaner. The group at GM Research, that was Fuels and Lubes, used to test all kinds of fuels and lubes, and they liked Techron.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BG 44K has worked great for us!

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Techron is the real deal. Yep, GM sold it as the "official" GM FI cleaner.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling money pits View Post
Is there such an animal? I recall Tecron being mentioned as one that works, but I never noticed anything.

Maybe your fuel system was already clean?

I've used Techron with noticeable improvements.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Maybe your fuel system was already clean?

I've used Techron with noticeable improvements.

The Techron fuel cleaner had the highest levels of pet if I remember correctly. Had a di motor that loved to clog injectors. Ran that on a regular basis and it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 02-01-2023, 02:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Seafoam works great. Cleans out everything and runs it right through your fuel system!

Seriously, be careful what you wish for. I ended up with new tank, lines and a rebuilt carb after using it. But it did exactly what it said it would.

I run Techron in my newer cars with no issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Are you trying to solve a running issue or just preforming maintenance

Old 02-01-2023, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Also Berryman and Lucas products are top notch!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-02-2023, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Techron seems to get the votes….

This is simply a maintenance deal. It’s a nused vehicle to me and it appears that hasn’t been done since Barry was in office.

To expand on this question …do external cleaners do anything? The TB of the TBI unit is quite filthy, could use a good spray down.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I simply use the 2 cycle oil with TCW3 as a regular maintenance added to the fuel tank. I use it in both carb and EFI stuff. It has cleaning properties and also adds some lubricity back in the fuel that's been gone since lead was removed.
Just an ounce per 5 gallons does the trick. I found this to be a much cheaper alternative that is effective and less harsh than some of the other lubricant/cleaners on the market.

Back when I was really looking around at this stuff 25 years ago the least harsh that had cleaning and lubricating properties was the Lucas fuel additive but at $25 for a jug that had a much larger mix ratio, it got pretty expensive pretty quick with multiple cars. Been using the Techron 2 cycle with TCW3 ever since. That 1 gallon jug treats about 600 gallons.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I’ve seen the fuel system cleaners that contain P.E.A. do the best job cleaning things up. I use Gumout in our daily driver cars every 3-4 months (5 cars total counting the teens). I swear I can tell the difference in my Tahoe but it’s probably just in my head.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-en...2oz/868894_0_0

And something funny this thread made me think of
https://youtu.be/ihUnsCU5z4I

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 02-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The BEST solution is to only buy Top Tier fuel. That, alone, is the first defense against injector clogging and other fuel-system contamination/deposit problems.

I also dump a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner into the gas tank at every oil change. Given that I use extended drain intervals, I don't go through a lot of Techron on each vehicle.

TBIs are not known for injector clogging. I guess anything is possible...but...they have large injector orifices and nozzles, and each injector fires more frequently than "port" injectors. The TBI injectors would require a heap of build-up to have much effect.

Feel free to spray the outside and the "venturi" and throttle-plates of the TBI with aerosol carb cleaner. Avoid spraying the electrical bits--sensors, IAC connectors, etc. For the most part, cleaning the outside makes no real performance improvement, but it sure does look pretty. A blast or two down the IAC passage can sometimes fix idle problems.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what I usually do is double the recomended amount of cleaner and in a 1/8th tank or slightly less of fuel drive local like my hair is on fire for 15 mins then put about a half tank of gas or less in then drive it out normal (still somewhat concentrated)

in mid 80's a friend was complaining about a erratic idle with his FI import told him to do the same, cured the problem

Old 02-02-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Techron seems to get the votes….

This is simply a maintenance deal. It’s a nused vehicle to me and it appears that hasn’t been done since Barry was in office.

To expand on this question …do external cleaners do anything? The TB of the TBI unit is quite filthy, could use a good spray down.
You should be able to look down the throttle body and see the injector spray pattern.

I don't remember having to clean throttle body injectors. Only on rare occasions to replace nonfunctional ones. 20 years ago we cleaned multi-port injectors fairy often. Either the fuel is better now or the injectors are. Can't remember the last time we had to clean or replace injectors.

We have used BG products for a very long time and I'm happy with them.

Are you working on a truck or whats the vehicle?

Old 02-02-2023, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All I use is Lucas in tank FI cleaner. It seems to work OK, but I use two bottles instead of one.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-05-2023, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The BEST solution is to only buy Top Tier fuel. That, alone, is the first defense against injector clogging and other fuel-system contamination/deposit problems.

I also dump a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner into the gas tank at every oil change. Given that I use extended drain intervals, I don't go through a lot of Techron on each vehicle.

TBIs are not known for injector clogging. I guess anything is possible...but...they have large injector orifices and nozzles, and each injector fires more frequently than "port" injectors. The TBI injectors would require a heap of build-up to have much effect.

Feel free to spray the outside and the "venturi" and throttle-plates of the TBI with aerosol carb cleaner. Avoid spraying the electrical bits--sensors, IAC connectors, etc. For the most part, cleaning the outside makes no real performance improvement, but it sure does look pretty. A blast or two down the IAC passage can sometimes fix idle problems.
THIS^^^. Tuning thousands of cars for a 40+ year period, I don't recall a single gummed up TBI injector, and only a couple leaking ones. They are bulletproof. I have used the Wynns injector cleaner on dry intake direct and port fuel injection and have actually seen the difference, as those injectors are 'in harms way' and can get deposits on them. The TBI units....not an issue.