Old 04-15-2024, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default iwheel well splash shields

Okay, a head scratcher for me. In all my years of putting these 68/69's together I've never had a reason to change one of these stapled on splash shields to the wheel wells because I just never really had one bad enough to bother changing. I've got a right side 69 well that I'm working on and decided it's ripped enough to change out, and the well's got rust enough that i needed to remove it. So as I'm taking it off I happened to look over at the left well that I 've got a good shield on and noticed the one on the right well was stapled on upside down. I thought that was pretty odd to make that big an error at the factory, then looked over at the spare 68 right side well I still have (side note, I never knew there were differences between 68 and 69 but they're formed different on top with only 2 holes instead of 4 with two plugs like 69 used). anyways, the shield on the 68 is ripped in half but what remained on the well clearly shows that one was stapled on upside down too. I then went out into the storage tent to check my 69 convertible and tough to see up in there but it sure doesn't hang down under the metal on the bottom edge and from what I can see, I think that's upside down too. I have never noticed this in all my years of messing with these cars. the wells are basically mirror images of each other so why would they install the shields on the right side upside down? it's clearly contoured to follow the metal and has a clearance slot to get around the lower bolt hole where it mounts to the cowl bracket.

thoughts here? I really don't want to put the new one on upside down but two possibly three examples of it in my life points to this not being a random factory error
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 left.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	632102   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 right.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	632103   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 right.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	632104  

Old 04-15-2024, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have seen them both ways as well. There was a thread awhile back that discussed this.
Personally, I believe the cutout faces down like in your second pic. Lines up with hole in frame.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...splash+shields

Old 04-15-2024, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...splash+shields
Another thread

Old 04-16-2024, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was deep into this topic years back in the first thread link above. I ended up aligning mine with the slot downward & it centered over the slot in the frame that I believe was used for transporting the cars from the assembly plant.
We sure did figure out they where slapped on just about any direction. The slot down made sense to me & I had an original set that way but if your going for what they did at the factory, it was for sure done both ways.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA