Old 05-28-2023, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you figured it out. One side of mine is original and the other side I replaced the outer lip of the outer wheelhouse only. I was going to look at the original side but have so much going on (major surgery one week ago) that I forgot about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 05:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Glad you figured it out. One side of mine is original and the other side I replaced the outer lip of the outer wheelhouse only. I was going to look at the original side but have so much going on (major surgery one week ago) that I forgot about it.
No worries Greg, I do sincerely appreciate the thought! Step one is get healthy. I have a bunch of your pics already filed away from previous tasks, I know I’ll be hitting you up for more as things progress. 👍👍

I’m glad I took a few days to sort things out, I feel like I understand it better now. It’s always hard when you don’t have a reference. My driver side rear wheel departing from the car took out that side, and of course the passenger side rotted away previously. Haha

Thanks again. Rest up and get well soon!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

Huge void in time since my last update but I’ve still been plugging away the whole time. The pace was slower than planned because we unexpectedly ended up working a deal to acquire 2 more cars in exchange for finishing up a large pole barn for a friend (concrete, insulation,…). It’s taken up more time than I expected over the past 3mos or so. On top of that, the work needed on this ‘68 has been multiplying as I move along (go figure…. Lol).

The trunk floor went very well, as did the inner wheelhouse patch panel and the full outer wheelhouse. So far, most of the exterior surfaces of the car appear to have had a heavy coating of sprayable polyester filler direct to metal. Either that caused a layer of black scale rust over time, the surface was never prepped properly, or someone just simply sprayed a “converter” on existing rust. Fortunately it cleans up to good steel… it’s just been time consuming and “experiments” to find what removes it the fastest without compromising the thickness of the panels.

I’ll add pics in small groups following this post because I always have issues with pics on this site.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

This spot was one that I didn’t realize was there below the old undercoating. It’s the lower forward section of the driver side inner wheelhouse. I can’t find pics with the spot welds back in it. I had to replace the piece you see as well as the piece behind that it spot welds to. The patch looks like an odd shape on the right but that area steps down/up and I wanted to use that stamped structure to help eliminate warping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7916.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	621609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7920.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	621610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7935.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	621611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7934.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	621612  

Old 10-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
it’s just been time consuming and “experiments” to find what removes it the fastest without compromising the thickness of the panels.
Do tell...
Been trying some different rust removal methods myself lately with mixed results. Interested in what you've come up with.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:09 PM
Senior Chief

This is the end of the rocker on the driver side. The side had some really isolated issues thankfully. The end where it wraps around had previous “repairs” that had to go. I wanted to save the profile of it and the radius edge so everything that was rust free stayed. I like doing those tabs on a 90°so you can get a perfect sharp 90° and not have to try to shape a weld bead or build up filler to make one. Still a few spots that had to be addressed in these pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8246.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	621626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8247.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	621627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8250.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	621628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8297.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	621629  

Old 10-13-2023, 10:12 PM
Senior Chief

The rest of the pics from above…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8299.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	621631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8301.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	621632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8328.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	621633  

Old 10-13-2023, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

This place was full of surprises. Remove paint to find filler, remove filler to find previous filler…

The patch piece was a quick brake followed by a few little bites with the shrinker and stretcher.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8790.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	621635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8697.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	621636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8699.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	621637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8792.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	621638  

Old 10-13-2023, 10:41 PM
Senior Chief

The rest of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8881.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	621639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8809.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	621640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8900.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	621641  

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2023, 10:59 PM
Senior Chief

This area was a huge mess hidden under thick filler. I believe it was the rearmost fastener for the vinyl top trim. Maybe they stripped the screw, pulled on it till it came off, then hit all the distorted metal in with a ball-peen hammer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9057.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	621643   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9060.jpg
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	621645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9067.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	621646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9072.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	621647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9104.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	621648  

Old 10-13-2023, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

A few pics of the wheel lip repair on the quarter with the outer wheelhouse tacked in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7981.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	621649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8085.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	621650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8113.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	621651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8030.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	621652  

Old 10-13-2023, 11:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Do tell...
Been trying some different rust removal methods myself lately with mixed results. Interested in what you've come up with.
I’m big into SPI products so Ospho is my go-to.

I will say I’ve learned in the past that although phosphoric acid (key ingredient in Ospho or Milkstone Remover) is the safer or more “metal friendly” acid, if you trap a saturated paper towel below a layer of plastic wrap for several hours, it will begin eating its’ way down into the metal.

For this heavy scale stuff I usually blast the top of it with a 3M Bristle Brush to knock down what I can and then spray with Ospho while I hand sand it with either 80g if it’s heavy, down to a scotch-brite if it’s just rust trapped in pits.

For some reason I decided to wet-sand the rust (as mentioned above) with Sprayway glass cleaner instead of Ospho. I swear the rust removal was more substantial this way. At a minimum I’d say it was on par with the acid but far less of a safety concern compared to slinging acid around.

If you don’t knock the dark/black converted top of the scale rust off first then neither of the chemicals will perform as well. I’m addicted to the purple 36g 3M bristle brushes, also sold as the Scotch-Brite “Bodyman’s Bristle Disc”. They are pricey but they eat rust like crazy and are very gentle on the good steel below. They do practically last forever if you treat them well though. The other grades of their bristle discs are not agressive enough and neither are any knock-off ones on Amazon I’ve ever tried. There’s also a night/day difference between running them on a drill with a roloc adapter vs an angle die grinder at 10-15K rpm’s.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

Sprayway glass cleaner does have some interesting ingredients common to various rust removers. There are mild acids, surfactants, as well as tetrasodium EDTA which is believed to be the key chelating ingredient in evaporust.

Somewhere I saved the full ingredient list and not just the limited list on the current SDS sheet.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All that looks very, very familiar. Very fine job of welding and that's the kind of information I'm looking for on the rust removal.
Looking for something a little stronger than Evaporust or Naval Jelly. I hear that Muriatic acid is very aggressive but can be destructive if not neutralized quickly.
I've made good use of twisted wire cups and wheels on an angle grinder to prep for the de-rust treatments. I'm familiar with the bristle discs and I like them but the ones I've had were only 2" and wore out quickly. Pretty pricey is right. Excellent for removing paint. I used them on a pneumatic rotary tool and my compressor has a hard time keeping up.
Have you tried vinegar? There are some interesting claims about it's rust removal qualities and it's only a dollar or two a quart. I plan to try some.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 10-14-2023 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:21 PM
Senior Chief

Yep I’ve tried vinegar too. The flash rust following it just always seems so much more instant and aggressive than other options I’ve tried.

I’m hesitant with muriatic because of the potential destruction. Part of me is always thinking if the rust is that bad I probably need to replace that area anyways. I keep meaning to try citric acid again. I used it years ago for other purposes (de-scaling hard water deposits in hazardous waste treatment systems).

I switched to the bristle discs when I swore off using wire brushes forever. I loved how the wire works but had to many close calls finding pieces of wire imbedded in my neck and arms hours after using them lol. I always could be more proactive and protect more than my face and hands but I always worry about our dogs picking up a piece of it if I track some inside from our garage. To me, the purple bristle discs do everything the wire wheels do and more. They are so agressive on paint, filler, and primer yet I feel like I would need to stay in one spot forever to really remove steel.

I did a little more last night and like the system I have now I think. Knock off the top of any scale that looks converted so the liquid can assist, then alternate between spraying with Sprayway and essentially wet sanding with 80 or 150. If I’m not going to go further on that spot for a day or 2 then I give it a quick wipe with Ospho to protect.

Old 10-15-2023, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've pulled quite a few of those wire brush bristles out of the crotch of my jeans...lol
I have not had that happen with the twisted wire brushes though. Maybe that's why they're twisted.
I've also come to pretty much the same conclusion regarding repeated applications of the de-rusting treatment of your choice and aggressively cleaning between the treatments.
One thing that greatly improved my results was taking a little more seriously the time needed to clean as much dirt and rust off of the part as possible before treatment. Right now I'm using a twisted wire cup on a variable speed angle grinder. I act as though I'm trying to de-rust it with just that. Then I wash it with soapy water and a brush, dry it and treat it with evaporust or navel jelly. The evaporust was much more effective after doing that.
I'm going to look into the 3M bristle discs again. I've never used a purple one. If I can get one that fits my angle grinder I will give it a try.... Hi speed air tools keep my compressor running non stop, plus the rotary tool I was using was only 3".
This is the result of Evaporust soaking for a couple of days. Still showing some rust stains but quite an improvement. This stuff was very crusty.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2023, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
Yep I’ve tried vinegar too. The flash rust following it just always seems so much more instant and aggressive than other options I’ve tried.

I’m hesitant with muriatic because of the potential destruction. Part of me is always thinking if the rust is that bad I probably need to replace that area anyways. I keep meaning to try citric acid again. I used it years ago for other purposes (de-scaling hard water deposits in hazardous waste treatment systems).

I switched to the bristle discs when I swore off using wire brushes forever. I loved how the wire works but had to many close calls finding pieces of wire imbedded in my neck and arms hours after using them lol. I always could be more proactive and protect more than my face and hands but I always worry about our dogs picking up a piece of it if I track some inside from our garage. To me, the purple bristle discs do everything the wire wheels do and more. They are so agressive on paint, filler, and primer yet I feel like I would need to stay in one spot forever to really remove steel.

I did a little more last night and like the system I have now I think. Knock off the top of any scale that looks converted so the liquid can assist, then alternate between spraying with Sprayway and essentially wet sanding with 80 or 150. If I’m not going to go further on that spot for a day or 2 then I give it a quick wipe with Ospho to protect.
You mention SPI and OSPHO.
Im guessing youve read all about the trials and tribulations and what the procedure is to use both products successfully.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
You mention SPI and OSPHO.
Im guessing youve read all about the trials and tribulations and what the procedure is to use both products successfully.
Yep. I think for as much as you read about the process you still have to do it and learn for yourself. It’s so tempting to keep adding more and then you’re left with the salts precipitating out. I’ve settled on that “less is more” philosophy and it always goes well and makes the removal easier. It’s still a simple process though and I’d rather do that instead of sand/soda blasting. It’s also the only thing SPI really endorses.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:51 PM
Senior Chief

Good point Greg. I think you’re right. I soak a bunch of smaller parts in Evapo/Rust 911 and the ones put some work into first always seem to clean up quicker. I really should make more of an effort to prep parts more thoroughly. Good point.

I keep meaning to grab a cheap submersible heater or heating pad under my tote to help speed things up too.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some excellent metal work there.