Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-02-2023, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a progression HEI that I was going to use but then changed my mind for two reasons. While it's a very cool idea, I didn't really think I needed it and second reliability. Although I do have an aftermarket HEI which obviously has electronics, but still simpler than the Progression unit. I've read all the negative stuff about Pertronix and I've had two MSD boxes fail on me. My HEI is a DUI brand which I haven't read any specific problems with them and I carry a spare module in the trunk.

My new Dakota Digital gauges can be setup manually or by Bluetooth. You can do it manually on the tiny little display on the speedo but it's much easier using the app on my phone, as long as I have my glasses...

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 06-02-2023, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I think most all this stuff is made over seas now. MSD used to be made in Texas years ago but pretty sure even that is outsourced now. All this electronic stuff is just hit and miss. I've even had it not work right out of the box. Sometimes it waits till I'm far from home and quits, and sometimes it works perfectly fine for decades.
Only good ignition system I'm aware that isnt china is more commonly seen on high end high HP stuff and that's ICE from Australia. It's also expensive compared to the china stuff.
Yeah. The first MSD box you put in my Formula was bad right out of the box. The replacement seems to work fine over the years. You wired the ignition so that the box can quickly be taken out of the circuit and then just run on the points distributor. Shows a little pessimism on the reliability of MSD. LOL

MSD 6ALN was the NASCAR approved box back when I was messing around with asphalt late models. It was potted and non-serviceable and was made in the USA. I don’t know if that’s still, the case. Ran the same box for years with no problem, but it didn’t get used daily like a street car might.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by promptcritical View Post
Yeah. The first MSD box you put in my Formula was bad right out of the box. The replacement seems to work fine over the years. You wired the ignition so that the box can quickly be taken out of the circuit and then just run on the points distributor. Shows a little pessimism on the reliability of MSD. LOL

MSD 6ALN was the NASCAR approved box back when I was messing around with asphalt late models. It was potted and non-serviceable and was made in the USA. I don’t know if that’s still, the case. Ran the same box for years with no problem, but it didn’t get used daily like a street car might.
Yes, that's about my favorite setup these days. If the box ever fails somewhere, just swap the wires at the coil and drive away on points. I have our Camaro setup just like this and will do the Nomad the same.

We've had 2 complete MSD setups in service on the GTO and Chevelle since the late 90's or very early 2000. Billet distributors, one a digital 6 box and the other a standard 6AL.. That was back when MSD was all made in Texas. Those very same units are still in those cars today and working flawlessly, and both setups have seen a couple different reincarnations of engines in both cars as well.

I've since had 2 MSD issues in recent years. A complete MSD setup in an HEI that failed on me about 6 months after it was put in use. That was about 8 years ago. Then the 6AL box I put in your car a few years ago that didn't work at all fresh out of the box. Both times MSD was great about swapping out the stuff at no charge.

I'll continue to use them. They are still the largest ignition source used in motorsports. In fact I'm doing a complete MSD setup in the current build, billet distributor and going to try the new 6AL2 with programmable ignition.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-02-2023, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I've heard nothing but good reports and reviews with the Progressive Ignition stuff.

i still wouldn't use one here, simply due to poor history with every single bug zapping aftermarket part I've ever tried or tested dating clear back to the 1970's.

Pertronix used to be rock solid, but recently nothing but failures and other issues with them . MSD has always been about the same, they work very well, for a while. The Crane XRI's were pretty rock solid, the Mallory modules and such not quite as reliable.

Most work fine, right up until they take a dump, then you look up and SOB you're not sitting in front of Jegs or Summit racing so you're either thumbing for a ride or calling for a roll-back!........FWIW......
I have been running MSD components since the early 1980's. My experience has been similar to Cliff's. They work great until they don't, just like a light bulb. I have had MSD 6 boxes just die, out of absolute nowhere. No warning, no misfires, just like shutting off the ignition switch. Let the car sit an hour, starts right back up and is fine for weeks, months, thousands of miles. No way to diagnose a situation like that, period. But I love the way an engine runs with an MSD box working. Starts instantly, plugs stay much cleaner, great for putting around town doing the car show/cruise-in stuff. On a long trip, I always carry a spare points distributor and a timing light, just in case.