Old 04-06-2023, 10:47 PM

Default Wagon Spring selection

Are the "heavy duty" springs a correct fit for wagons, or do I need to go with wagon specific springs to have the right spring rate. My 66 Catalina is a factory A/C car.

I notice Rock Auto lists a wagon spring, but it's sold out. Some of the auto parts box stores show a wagon spring, but it's for a non-a/c car. Didn't see anything available from Ames for my year and OPGI just lists them for 65-70 Catalina and doesn't specify wagon vs sedan, etc.

Or are people mostly trying to do coil-over swaps these days if you can afford it?

Old 04-07-2023, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eaton spring has the correct springs for your car:

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/findmyvehicle/

Coil Spring Specialties will make what ever you need:

https://coilsprings.com/default.aspx...SAAEgJ-QPD_BwE

I had CSS make new spring to replace the brand new 'correct' springs for my GTO after I learned that 'correct' springs gave my GTO the original rear end lower than the front look that was 'correct'. I asked for .75" over stock and that is EXACTLY what I got.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 08:45 AM
Senior Chief

As far as I am aware after digging into it a year or so ago, the standard Moog 5399’s were discontinued when Moog cleaned house of most/many of their legacy production springs. There were something like 80 or so cross references to that spring, none of which I could find in stock (aside from some old set randomly popping up on eBay).

Mevotech SMS5399 is the only current production sping I can find available and in stock that is a direct cross to the Moog. They’re in our GTO now, as I always liked the 5399’s in any of the a-body cars we had.

The HD version of the stock spring will only give you a stiffer ride and not the increased height of the wagon springs. The 5399’s give the slight added boost to the rear end as their static height is longer but spring rate is the same (my own findings from measurements in non-wagon a-body cars).

Old 04-07-2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
As far as I am aware after digging into it a year or so ago, the standard Moog 5399’s were discontinued when Moog cleaned house of most/many of their legacy production springs. There were something like 80 or so cross references to that spring, none of which I could find in stock (aside from some old set randomly popping up on eBay).

Mevotech SMS5399 is the only current production sping I can find available and in stock that is a direct cross to the Moog. They’re in our GTO now, as I always liked the 5399’s in any of the a-body cars we had.

The HD version of the stock spring will only give you a stiffer ride and not the increased height of the wagon springs. The 5399’s give the slight added boost to the rear end as their static height is longer but spring rate is the same (my own findings from measurements in non-wagon a-body cars).
So the 5399’s are not a wagon spring then it appears? Or do they swap in just fine? Good to know the specs about the HD springs just being stiffer.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know nothing about the 5399's, but if they are for A bodies, I wouldn't think that they would work properly for a full size car and especially not for a wagon.

Eaton Spring shows part # MC1205 for the rear of a '66 Catalina Wagon and part # MC7483 for a Catalina 2dr hardtop. If you want to go higher or lower, they will build custom springs for you with either 1 or 2" lift or 1 or 2" drop.

For a '66 GTO they show part # MC1281 for the rear. They will do the plus/minus for the GTO also and even note that the factory spec spring has the rear riding about 1" low.

Moog and Mevotech build springs for multiple applications to generic specs - which may or may not be correct for anything.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

From everything I dug up, the 5399 was a direct replacement for 2nd gen El Camino. I believe the GM part number for that original spring and the later year wagons were shared for one of the years at least. Actual (listed) spring dimensions for the 2 checked out. I use the SMS5399 to add about 1-1.5” rear lift to A-body cars I’ve had.

My apologies for not seeing you call out your Catalina specifically, I must have skimmed over that part and lumped the question into the standard “raise my a-body rear” question that pops up.

I do know that as far as a-body springs are concerned, the HD springs contribute zero to ride height change and just equate to rate/stiffness change. I can grab any measurements off my springs here if it’ll help at all.