Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-05-2020, 02:00 PM

Default Intake Centerline off 2 degrees while degreeing cam

Hey all,

As I continue my rebuild, I had to replace the crank. All other parts are the same as my initial install a few years ago. Original install had perfect numbers on the cam when I degreed it.

It's a comp cams with the standard LSA of 110 and 4 degrees advance built in. Install at 106 per the cam card. Well, I keep getting 104 at the intake lifter. I'm using 9-way Cloyes cam sprocket and initially had it on the standard keyway. I'm guessing the camshaft keyway was cut off a couple degrees here and wanted your opinion on that.

I've done this measurement three times by the way and verified TDC and good orientation on my dial indicator, etc.

So I guess I would need to use the retard keyway. Isn't every 2 degrees at the crank equal to 1 degree at the cam? Or does the cloyes 2 degree retard equal 2 at the cam?

Thanks

Last edited by BierManVA; 10-05-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Normally if you want the cam to run on 106 you install it on 104. I add 2 degrees for slack in the timing chain for when the engine is operating.

The cloyes 9 way set should let you move the timing 2 if your wanting go set it on 106.

Last edited by Jay S; 10-05-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Error
Old 10-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see it all the time. They almost never fall where they should. With cam and crank keyways, timing set keyways, all having the possibility of variance to some degree it can throw the ICL waaaay off in some instances. Sometimes moving the 9 keyway sets to what is supposed to be just 2 degrees I've seen it change 4 degrees or more the other way.

I agree with Jay, if the cam manufacture wants 106 and it falls on 104 I'd run with it. As long as the number you're getting is repeatable I'd say it's accurate and good to go.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I see it all the time. They almost never fall where they should. With cam and crank keyways, timing set keyways, all having the possibility of variance to some degree it can throw the ICL waaaay off in some instances. Sometimes moving the 9 keyway sets to what is supposed to be just 2 degrees I've seen it change 4 degrees or more the other way.

I agree with Jay, if the cam manufacture wants 106 and it falls on 104 I'd run with it. As long as the number you're getting is repeatable I'd say it's accurate and good to go.
Thanks guys.

Good info. I think I will retard one notch on the cloyes and see where I land. If that gear is off, I'll go to the original 104 and stay there I guess.

Guess I was lucky the first time, that thing was spot on.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Think I'd check an exhaust lobe and verify the 110° LSA

Where to degree would depend on a bunch of stuff
The cam
Car weight
Rear gears
Transmission/converter
Bore and stroke
Static compression
Heads w/ or w/o mods
intake type
Exhaust manifolds type AND whats behind them
And how do you plan to drive it. What RPM range do you want it to run the strongest.
And probably tire info

Takes me a minute to decide stuff like this
Clay

Old 10-06-2020, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Typical day in the life of a person setting up the cam:

First time gets 104°, didn't have his 2nd cup of coffee this morning and goes the wrong way on the next attempt and gets 101°. Takes a coffee break and comes back and does everything correctly but that 2° slot gives him 107.5°. Doesn't believe it so tries two more times and gets the same result. Gives up and goes to lunch. Comes back to the engine and decides 104° isn't that bad after all and lives with it.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Always double check your work by using the intake opening point at .050" tappet lift. In most cases you'll find the cam was close enough dot-to-dot that it's really not worth moving it.

If you do move it don't be the idiot who just moved the lower sprocket to another keyway then lined up the original mark on the lower gear with the mark on the upper gear, figured it was good to go and completed the assembly. ALWAYS re-check your work after each movement with the gear set........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Aysymetric lobes need Voodoo to find the ICL huh.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I took a quick look at some cloyes 9 way instruction and it seems like someone at cloyes does understand cam degreeing at all? They are referencing the cam from the crank. It should be the other way around!

https://www.cloyes.com/9-keyway-crank-sprockets/

I haven’t used their 9 way set. The last cloyes 3 way set I had was stated as +/-3 and moved the cam +\- 6. I shrugged it off at the time, and figured the 9 way did as it was supposed to moving the timing in small stepped.

Like the guys said. double check!!!

Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierManVA View Post
Hey all,

As I continue my rebuild, I had to replace the crank. All other parts are the same as my initial install a few years ago. Original install had perfect numbers on the cam when I degreed it.

It's a comp cams with the standard LSA of 110 and 4 degrees advance built in. Install at 106 per the cam card. Well, I keep getting 104 at the intake lifter. I'm using 9-way Cloyes cam sprocket and initially had it on the standard keyway. I'm guessing the camshaft keyway was cut off a couple degrees here and wanted your opinion on that.

I've done this measurement three times by the way and verified TDC and good orientation on my dial indicator, etc.

So I guess I would need to use the retard keyway. Isn't every 2 degrees at the crank equal to 1 degree at the cam? Or does the cloyes 2 degree retard equal 2 at the cam?

Thanks
Which method did you use to measure? Equal distances down from either side of max lift, or cam card .050 numbers or advertised numbers?

Is the lobe profiles non-symmetrical? If so, you will get different numbers depending on the method. And different opinions on which one is the best.

If it's a symmetric profile, no worries

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 10-06-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When it's me, I check #1 and #6. No need to reposition the degree wheel, just move the dial indicator.

This gets both banks, front, and near the rear of the shaft.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another reason to check your work using the intake open point at .050". You turn the engine in one direction only and don't have to worry about the lobe profile.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 10-06-2020, 05:38 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

I had a cam from Isky that checked 7deg diff. #1 to #6 !

Old 10-06-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
I had a cam from Isky that checked 7deg diff. #1 to #6 !
That's why I degree more than one cylinder. If you have problems with one camshaft, send it back.

Have problems with every camshaft in that engine, get the lifter bores trued.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GS455 View Post
Which method did you use to measure? Equal distances down from either side of max lift, or cam card .050 numbers or advertised numbers?

Is the lobe profiles non-symmetrical? If so, you will get different numbers depending on the method. And different opinions on which one is the best.

If it's a symmetric profile, no worries

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
I used 'equal distances down from either side of max lift'

Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I took a quick look at some cloyes 9 way instruction and it seems like someone at cloyes does understand cam degreeing at all? They are referencing the cam from the crank. It should be the other way around!

https://www.cloyes.com/9-keyway-crank-sprockets/

I haven’t used their 9 way set. The last cloyes 3 way set I had was stated as +/-3 and moved the cam +\- 6. I shrugged it off at the time, and figured the 9 way did as it was supposed to moving the timing in small stepped.

Like the guys said. double check!!!
I must have missed my cup of Joe yesterday morning. Terrible flood, my suite didn’t come in from the cleaners, Locus!! It wasn’t my fault!

Actually it was my fault, the cloyes instructions are correct.

The 3 way Cloyes set I had once moved timing +\- 6* ( it may have been +/- 8 now that I am thinking about it).. I have had different brands do the exact same thing, so I never assume the timing sets do as they say anymore, and I just plan on getting the collection of stepped cam keys out. That one set from Cloyes was older, I am still trying to make sense of it, and it had the same basic instructions. Hopefully they have it all sorted out now.

If you did the equidistant .050” from each side of max lift your golden. Run it.

Last edited by Jay S; 10-07-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 10-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Pontiac Performance Author

Check lifter bores for roundness. 50-60 yr. old engines tend to have oval lifter bores.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I must have missed my cup of Joe yesterday morning. Terrible flood, my suite didn’t come in from the cleaners, Locus!! It wasn’t my fault!

Actually it was my fault, the cloyes instructions are correct.

The 3 way Cloyes set I had once moved timing +\- 6* ( it may have been +/- 8 now that I am thinking about it).. I have had different brands do the exact same thing, so I never assume the timing sets do as they say anymore, and I just plan on getting the collection of stepped cam keys out. That one set from Cloyes was older, I am still trying to make sense of it, and it had the same basic instructions. Hopefully they have it all sorted out now.

If you did the equidistant .050” from each side of max lift your golden. Run it.
Well, as seems to be the case with these things. I set everything back up, verified TDC, positioned the timing wheel, set up the dial gauge and boom! Everything came out fine. Rechecked...still fine. . Please don't ask me wth happened before. LOL. I guess sometimes it is better to take a day or so off and come back at it.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to change the topic but, to the OP what degree wheel are you using & would you recommend it?

To everyone, what degree wheel set-up do you use, recommend?
I think I am going to check the installed position of the cab in my wife’s car over the winter. I’m not satisfied with the way it runs and should have a degree wheel anyway.

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the Moroso 11" wheel. But I cut the center out and drilled holes so it bolts in place of the pulleys on the balancer. Simple as setting up a pulley on the wheel centered and mark the holes needed and open up the middle.

I had problems with it moving just bolted to the end of the crank and felt this was a much better way to prevent that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201007-100712_Facebook.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	551000  

6.27@107
9.97@131

Last edited by Bill Eveland; 10-07-2020 at 11:07 AM.