EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 04-08-2021, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking I am going to try the sniper EFI, or sniper stealth. I really don't need all the extras the terminator series offers.

Aside from appearance, is the only real difference that the stealth requires the external regulator & the regular sniper is internal? I guess I can go either way. buying a different air filter base is not a big deal. I am really, really tight for height though. I was trying to find the height of these units. specs say 3.28" but not sure if thats overall height, or bottom mounting surface to air cleaner resting surface.

my current carb is about that same measurement from base to air cleaner mounting surface.

here is a link to each if anyone want to take a look.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-870

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about the one that looks like a thermoquad, I've never had one of those in my hands, but the Stealth that I use ended up being exactly .200" taller at the air cleaner flange than the 4150 Holley 950HP carb that it replaced.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 04-08-2021, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Slightly off topic, but I just noticed that Holley offers a Q-Jet style Sniper. They claim its about the same dimensions as a factory carb. Does anyone know or have first hand experience with this?

I'd like to run it under a shaker, but I can't modify the shaker base in any way, shape, or form.
I looked at the Q-Jet style. It's supposed to work wth any factory deal...Ram Air, shakers and all. Don't know if that's a fact or not. They say it supports 500 HP and flows 715 CFM. Those specs were a little low for being a Q-Jet replacement it seems. Don't they all flow at least 750 CFM, some maybe 850 CFM? They can support well over 500 HP. I believe the secondary plates are smaller than on the carb. I'd like to run it for the ignition control, but my motor is a little bit bigger than they specify, and runs really good with the SD Q-Jet on it.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the only thing I liked about the square looking unit was the built in regulator. Really didn't want to mount a regulator & filter on the firewall, but maybe I can come up with something thats not too noticeable.

I do think the stealth unit is a little better looking though. still looks like a carb & maybe not out of place.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the Pontiacs I mount the regulator where the mechanical fuel pump used to be. Not only is it hidden there, especially with power steering, but I can maintain the factory routing of the fuel lines that way, and sometimes even bend up a steel line to the unit from the regulator to make it look factory.

The filter I'll generally hide down on the frame somewhere before it enters the regulator.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still haven't ordered one. Leaning towards the std sniper because of the built in regulator rather than external. Otherwise I don't see much of a difference besides the looks. I really like the edelbrock pro flo 4 kit, but the manifold would not fit without a lot of changes on this sbc, otherwise thats extremely tempting.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I really like the edelbrock pro flo 4 kit, but the manifold would not fit without a lot of changes on this sbc, otherwise thats extremely tempting.
What car you putting this EFI unit on again?

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 04-23-2021, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad this topic is back up. We're going with the Holley super sniper stealth 1250 in the next few weeks on my 70 GTO with the 468. I was concerned about the 72* of overlap and low vacuum, but shop has assured me that is not an issue., but what happens when opening up the dumps that is about 18" from the AFR sensors? Any questions or concerns I should be aware of?

Old 04-23-2021, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
I'm glad this topic is back up. We're going with the Holley super sniper stealth 1250 in the next few weeks on my 70 GTO with the 468. I was concerned about the 72* of overlap and low vacuum, but shop has assured me that is not an issue., but what happens when opening up the dumps that is about 18" from the AFR sensors? Any questions or concerns I should be aware of?
No problems with that. We are running a pair of Super Sniper Stealth 8 injector units on both cars. I have cutouts on both cars about 18" behind the 02 on one car and 22" on the other. That's just how it worked out with the room I had.

Only thing you'll notice is the AFR immediately starts correcting the fuel table as soon as you open them up, which is what it should be doing.

Low vacuum isn't an issue either. Both cars only make about 6-7 inches at idle and the Snipers work fine.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

" Only thing you'll notice is the AFR immediately starts correcting the fuel table as soon as you open them up, which is what it should be doing."

Great, and thanks.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Aside from the looks & the regulator being built in on the sniper, are there other differences? Meaning if you didn't care about the appearance or if the regulator was mounted somewhere nearby what are the other differences between the sniper & the sniper stealth? I kinda like the look of the stealth as far as blending in like a regular carb, but with the filters & regulator required it almost seems like more of a hassle? Are both models equal in every other way? Haven't found out much in that perspective yet. Or I am looking in the wrong place

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacMatt72 View Post
What car you putting this EFI unit on again?
I have some info on the 1st page of this thread with a couple pics. Fitment problem with the pro flo 4 would be the radiator hose neck, mounting locations for the PS & air conditioning brackets. the engine has the 10185063intake & allowed all the factory part to fit like it was made to fit.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA

Last edited by 68ragtop; 04-24-2021 at 07:31 AM.