Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Original water pump? Reuse, rebuild, replace?

As the 67 tempest slowly goes back together, I am finding that I have original parts that look rough but may be serviceable. This particular vehicle has a fresh stock rebuilt 326. It was purchased in non-op condition (so I don't know anything about the working condition of the pump). The water pump, while a little grungy, still looks fine and spins with no issues.

Is this something I can clean up, paint and reuse? Is there a rebuild kit? (not sure what would be rebuilt exactly) Or should I chuck it and get a new one?

Asking because I am on a tight budget and every penny counts while I'm trying to put her back together.

I can post pics if necessary.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
As the 67 tempest slowly goes back together, I am finding that I have original parts that look rough but may be serviceable. This particular vehicle has a fresh stock rebuilt 326. It was purchased in non-op condition (so I don't know anything about the working condition of the pump). The water pump, while a little grungy, still looks fine and spins with no issues.

Is this something I can clean up, paint and reuse? Is there a rebuild kit? (not sure what would be rebuilt exactly) Or should I chuck it and get a new one?

Asking because I am on a tight budget and every penny counts while I'm trying to put her back together.

I can post pics if necessary.
Why take the risk if it's orig seal could be bad bearing could be bad I got mine from PY and it's just fine just make sure you clearance the separator plate does make a diff imho..

Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please post pictures of the one you have. If it has a proper shape of the vanes on the pump, DON'T let it go, unless you give it to me!

Give me a shot like this so we can see what you have. A good one CAN be rebuilt.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2449 (Large).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	351012  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 01-27-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And the only way you'll know it's good Boostmaster is to install it and run it. No other way to test it that I know of.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
And the only way you'll know it's good Boostmaster is to install it and run it. No other way to test it that I know of.
Gary Gary Gary....

Nothing sucks more than putting in a water pump to find out its not working. I got one from a friend for my old 66 about ten years ago when mine went out. Turns out that pump was bad too.

Ive heard of people rebuilding them. If Charles knows how, follow his direction. I always like to try and keep as many original parts as I can. Just fells better to me.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know how, just never done it. BUT, Gary & I were just talking about it again and I've got a couple of old ones in the shop. Guess I'm going to go out there and press them apart and see about getting some bearings and seals for them.

Anyone know of a source?

Bearings I doubt I'll have trouble finding, got a damn good bearing shop in the oil field places down here in La. Seals are gonna take a bit of looking I bet.

Hey, that's what Ole Al invented the WWW for right?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
I know how, just never done it. BUT, Gary & I were just talking about it again and I've got a couple of old ones in the shop. Guess I'm going to go out there and press them apart and see about getting some bearings and seals for them.

Anyone know of a source?

Bearings I doubt I'll have trouble finding, got a damn good bearing shop in the oil field places down here in La. Seals are gonna take a bit of looking I bet.

Hey, that's what Ole Al invented the WWW for right?
There must be kits or someone doing it. Think of all the guys that want their original parts or some cars that there is no water pump replacements for.

Edit: a quick Google search https://www.google.com/#q=automobile...ump+rebuilders

Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That right there tells me the parts are available somewhere.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a few pics.

Of course I would like to keep as much original stuff as possible and since the pump doesn't look too terrible, I figured I might save a few bucks just rebuilding it instead of replacing. (Not really worried about overheating as much as you big engine guys- my stock 326 is very meaty)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tempest waterpump 1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	351081   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest waterpump 2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	351082   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest waterpump 3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	351083  

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not use that pump. Impeller is aftermarket, sucks!
Overheat city. No contour to match plate. Inadequate flow.

Plates need to go, get them from In Line Tube. Proper contour.

Save yourself some heartache. Start looking now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2448.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	351086  

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Which pump (on a budget) is ideal? I'd like to only do this once.

Thanks for the heads up on In Line Tube (ILT). I need to order one of their catalogs. Had never heard of them before!

Does ILT have a good waterpump?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, finding a good impeller is a real crap shoot. Best thing would be to find an original pump and swap the impeller over.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting. I thought my pump was original. I guess not.
I will keep hunting for something decent.

So, should I avoid the offerings from local parts stores, PY, Ames, and OPGI, etc.?

Don't want to buy something that will be junk.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just about everything you can buy out there is just that. Junk.

Especially more so the more expensive they are.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, crap! Now what?

I want to do this right. I don't want junk. I'm too deep into this resto for that. However, the goal is to be able to have the car running by May while, still maintaining some semblance of a budget.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LOTS of reading here.
http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=411256

Just keep looking.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Well, crap! Now what?

I want to do this right. I don't want junk. I'm too deep into this resto for that. However, the goal is to be able to have the car running by May while, still maintaining some semblance of a budget.
By budget, Im thinking you want something inexpensive? I dont know that costs come into play when buying a good quality water pump, but if you want to "do it right" than buy want you need not based on price.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old Goat 67: I saw that post but didn't go too deep as I was thinking my pump would be fine... Now that I will need to source a new one, I will read it end to end!

Old Blue 66: I am always inclined to buy the best quality I can find but I'm suspicious of certain parts. Never understood why a $25 part should cost $100 and do the same thing. Will the $100 do a better job? Maybe. Maybe not. (Maybe it's marketing hype, maybe it's true quality) Since this is a vehicle that I am not familiar with nor have had much exposure to, I defer to the experienced individuals on this board.

Maybe I should put it this way: Knowing what you know today, IF you needed to replace your water pump, and needed to keep the price within reason (any price point is fine- just looking for a starting point), what would you put on your car?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Knowing what I know today, I would do just what I did. Find a correct impeller and either rebuild the whole unit or put the impeller on a reman pump.

They worked just fine back then and still do.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, I'm several pages into the water pump thread. From what I gather, the cast impeller is the way to go... I'm having a hard time telling the difference in the pics (Not really sure what I'm looking for- never had much occasion to study water pumps) looks like Cardone may have had an answer? (I had scrolled a few pages forward and seen chatter about Cardone units.- their ad below states it's the NEW design)

Short of sourcing an original housing and cast impeller ...How about this unit? (It's cast) $43 @rockauto (If this won't do, where is it that one would source the CORRECT impeller)?

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...5511137&p=rock