Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default BIG TV 101--- please educate

thanks in advance...

can comeone give me the dummies version of the difference between PLASMA and LCD and how they relate to HI DEF ? could someone please tell me what i will need to purchase to get either of these systems running if all i have now is a TUBE TV and 5.1 surround sound as well. ??

id like to know the basics before i shop...

Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Goathead (Danny) is the resident TV expert.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I nont know about LCD's or Plasma screen's.
I do know that if you have a tube type TV and cable, you dont have to do anything. The cable co. will convert the signal.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Go to CNET.com, They can answer any and all question you might have. For myself, I went with a DLP in 1080p. All the things, slow refresh rate, pixel loss, black holes scare me away from Plasma or LCD. Very happing I went with the DLP. My friends Plasma is crap compared to my DLP.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjay
Go to CNET.com, They can answer any and all question you might have. For myself, I went with a DLP in 1080p. All the things, slow refresh rate, pixel loss, black holes scare me away from Plasma or LCD. Very happing I went with the DLP. My friends Plasma is crap compared to my DLP.
What brand model did you go with? I was looking at the Samsung 61".

Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Toshiba 56" 1080p with the new DirectV HD box with over 100 full HD programs ( history, TLC, Discovery, ESPN, SiFi, 20 movie CH and all local CH and many more) I haven't got a HDDVD yet, waiting to see what format wins out. Been very happy with this setup. By the way my audio system is a Harmon Kardon 7.1 and I use a Logitech Harmony 880 remote controller.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
I nont know about LCD's or Plasma screen's.
I do know that if you have a tube type TV and cable, you dont have to do anything. The cable co. will convert the signal.
Incorrect. You have to have an HD compatible TV capable of reproducing a High Definition signal; 720p or greater. Second, the cable (or satellite) company cannot "convert" the signal. Again, you need to have the proper equipment to reproduce the signal. A standard digital cable or standard satellite receiver cannot reproduce an HD signal. In order to do this you need a High Definition Receiver and you need to subscribe to your carrier's HD package. Currently, DirecTV offers the most HD channels available (85+). Cable's quality of HD lacks compared to that of satellite. Think about it. If you go to your cable company's headquarters you will see large satellite dishes pointing to the sky. These dishes are receiving the signal then compressing and transmiting it through miles and miles of cable, eventualy reaching your TV. With satellite service you are cutting out the middle man and grabbing the signal from the same place the cable company does. Difference is, instead of the signal traveling miles and miles, it is only having to go a few hundered feet before it reaches your TV. Becasue of cables infrastructure, most carriers will not be able to match satellite's number of channels or quality of picture. Especialy DirecTV's lineup becasue of the dedicated HD satellite they launched in July. Sorry for the long post, but most people simply do not understand all that is required to receive HD. Some people go to Best Buy, purchase a 1080p TV, hook it up to their standard cable box and then feel ripped off becasue the picture looks like crap. The large retail outlets have done a poor job in educating the customer. Their main concern is making the sales vs. customer satisfaction.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 01-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31
Incorrect. You have to have an HD compatible TV capable of reproducing a High Definition signal; 720p or greater. .
True as far as HD is concerned but you will not need an A/D converter to make your CRT work. The change in 09 will be to a digital signal which doesn't affect whether you chose to pay for HD programing or not. I looked at everything out there TV wise and went with a 60" Sony DLP and DirecTV HD.......it's great......

Old 01-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can someone explain the black holes (seriously) ?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been looking at the 61" Samsung. American has the best price, $1879

Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a 63" Phillips Plasma, most beautiful TV I've ever seen. I looked at the DLP's and didn't like how the picture faded if you were viewing from anywhere off dead center. I also didn't like the fact that the light engine is a disposable part that needs to be replaced at some point every 3 years. Also, the cubing you get with a low signal on a DLP is about 4 times the size of one on a plasma - try watching a NASCAR race on TNT - you will loose your mind!

The screen on my plasma sits only 5" off the wall and can be seen clearly standing directly next to it.....it was also half the price of a comparable LCD.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ths question comes up every so often but technology changes so fast its good to see whats new.

I find Crutchfiled (catalog equipment seller) as a great self help guide for making the best selection.
If you dont have a hard copy available from friend, they have it online also:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...r/home/tv.html

Look for the comparisson charts. Really good buying info.

Many of the problems mentiuoned earlier have been corrected and were old issues, years ago.

I buy a new main room TV every two years and stick with SAMSUNG DLP HD (now) over Plasma. I have three Samsung DLPs and other then one bulb in first model getting replaced, they work great.
My last set bought was the SAMSUNG 61 in High Def and also bought the BLUE RAY DVD Player.
KILLER PICTURE!

Playstation 3 will play Blue Ray discs and XBOX 260 I think has a midule out that will also

Get the National Geo nature series "EARTH" (I think its called) as first discs you watch, and you will be blown away!
You can see the flys eyeballs on the lions head from across the room. That good.

Two other major studios just announced this past week they will endorse or go with the BLUE RAY (SONY invented) formatt over HD (high def ) from TOSHIBA for dvd movies.
That makes FIVE major studios who have endorsed, and only one was still making both (HD and BLUE RAY) last I heard.

You really need to look at each TV Model/Technology as each person "see's" images differently. Opinion or physiogical, I dont know, but people see them different.
I wouldnt take a Plasma TV for free, I just dont like the picture, but others see it very differently.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of these recommendations are great, but in the end, they are all subject to ones opinion. Its just like sitting in the bar looking at women. Every one has their own idea of what looks good. Deciding on what picture looks good on what TV is nothing different.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
True as far as HD is concerned but you will not need an A/D converter to make your CRT work. The change in 09 will be to a digital signal which doesn't affect whether you chose to pay for HD programing or not. I looked at everything out there TV wise and went with a 60" Sony DLP and DirecTV HD.......it's great......
I think the confusion lies with the post I posted a rebuttal to. Again, HD and a digital cable signal are different. True, you will not need an A/D to receive a digital cable signal on a CRT come 2009. My point was, it appeared the original poster (Ollie) was referring to HD when he stated "I do know that if you have a tube type TV and cable, you dont have to do anything. The cable co. will convert the signal.". Again, a classic case of incorrect information regarding HD.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 01-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"black holes" = pixel loss. On Plasma TV when you have a dead spot (loss of one or more pixel) you have a void in the picture. Happen a lot with 1st gen and low end systems.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper
...I buy a new main room TV every two years ....

my 1987 tv died 2 years ago, i only hope the one i bought to replace it lasts 18 years....

Old 01-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidl

my 1987 tv died 2 years ago, i only hope the one i bought to replace it lasts 18 years....
You probably lost the picture years ago and didn't realize it. My 53" Sony rear projection is now 7 years old. I'm sure its lost some of its "Glory". I just hope I can get another couple of years out of it.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

42" LG LCD- outstanding picture for the money, full 1080P.

The caveat is, there is not ANY 1080p programming yet only 1080i.

Your local cable company can provide cable box with component output for the HD.

I too am waiting for hdDVD vs Blue ray. There is one or two combo units for a 1000 that play both formats. Don't get tricked into buying an upconvert player.

The price break now appears to be around the 42" size. Don't be afraid to bargain even with the big box stores.

John

Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old goat racer
Been looking at the 61" Samsung. American has the best price, $1879

American just lowered the price to $1699

Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old goat racer
American just lowered the price to $1699