THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tim Horton - 50 years ago

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...-of-a-pantera/

The Following User Says Thank You to Tempest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting!! Shame he wasn't wearing a seatbelt... It looks like he would have survived.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
Interesting!! Shame he wasn't wearing a seatbelt... It looks like he would have survived.
I think so too, although as crazy as it seems now, I never wore a seatbelt until I was into my 40's when it became mandatory in my state.

@Tempest... Interesting story though, thanks for sharing!

Old 02-26-2024, 12:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the story...I didn't know that was how he died and Tim Horton is legendary around these parts

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 02-26-2024, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coincidentally, the small town of 5000 where I live (Cochrane) is where Tim Horton grew up. Our event centre (arena) is named after him.

https://cochraneontario.com/visiting...events-centre/

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 02-26-2024, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The spot where he wiped out is right around the corner from where I lived in St Catharines. Someone tried to install a memorial on the spot a few years ago, but was shut down.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLiam View Post
I think so too, although as crazy as it seems now, I never wore a seatbelt until I was into my 40's when it became mandatory in my state.

@Tempest... Interesting story though, thanks for sharing!
I spent too many years flying to not wear a seat belt. The chances of you coming to an abrupt stop in an aircraft are far less than those in an automobile.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2024, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was a sad day in Buffalo , Remember it well. Tim Horton was one of the toughest guys ever played the game.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I wore mine from the start at 17……..my reasoning is I drove like a madman……

Old 03-03-2024, 01:30 PM
Senior Chief

20 Years with the Leafs and 4 Stanley Cups. 4 more years combined between the Penguins, Rangers and Sabres. 24 years in the NHL, not many can say that.

Original member of Leafs' Legends Row.

Remember hearing the news when I was a kid that he lost his life in a crash. Sad day in Leafs Land and sports.

More penalty minutes than his 1445 games. A bit more on his career at this link

https://www.nhl.com/player/tim-horton-8446917

Last edited by Pepper Judge; 03-03-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I never wore a seat belt until I got two seat belt tickets on one day ! Stopped for speeding during the day and got seat belt ticket instead. Stopped at night for not coming to complete stop at red light and again got seat belt ticket. Ever since that day, I always wear a friggin seat belt I just read the story and the accident does look more survivable with a seat belt. The spot on Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway (near Lake St in St.Catharines) where Tim crashed used to have a more severe bend and has since been given a more gentle bend. I did not know the Ontario Provincial Police Officer that investigated the crash was Mike Gula. Mike Gula investigated an accident I was in on the Garden City Skyway in St.Catharines. Mike was super nice to me and very professional. Mike Gula was tragically killed in line of duty in 1996 when his vehicle was sideswiped by pickup truck while conducting a traffic stop. A bridge over the QEW (nearby where Mike frequently patrolled) was named in Mike's honour , http://curtiswalker.com/roads/on/QEW/page12.php.

Last edited by pippintook; 03-03-2024 at 10:29 PM.