Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pulley alignment

I am dropping a ‘69 428 in my ‘70 Trans Am while the original 400 is out being built. The 428 I am going to run has a SuperDamper on it so it requires a 3-bolt crank pulley. I bought one from RamAir Restorations. Very nice billet piece. I did a trial fit with the p/s pump and it appears that the crank pulley lines up ok, but the water pump pulley and p/s are off quite a bit. It looks like it might line up better with the outer groove, but according to the assembly manual, the p/s belt goes on before alternator belt:

It looks like the water pump pulley needs to come out further. Is the water pump snout shorter on the ‘69 428 than it would be on the ‘70 400?

It looks like it would fit better using the outer groove, but that’s supposed to be for the alternator.

I had no puller alignment issues on the 400 and this is the same water pump pulley/fan that was on that engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-21-2023, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://butlerperformance.com/n-1339...ter-pumps.html

There is a shorter nosed short lived early 69 water pump.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-21-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok thanks. I’ll measure the snout in the water pump that was on the 400 and compare it against this one.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The short 4" tall water pump was a 1968-1969 only thing, if I recall.

For sure they were used on all the early and mid-year 1969s. Then Pontiac switched to the 4.5" tall pump that was used up to the end.

From your pic, I looks to me like you have the 4" 1969 water pump with the fan pulley for a 4.5" 1970-up water pump.

Swapping to the later, 4.5" pump will move the grooves in the pulley forward 1/2", which is about what it looks like it is off now. Then the power steering belt can go onto the rear groove and the alternator onto the front groove.

Also, make sure to clearance the divider plate while you have it apart.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2023, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like WP to me but my ATI hub was .150 too long and had to be machined.

I found a SBC pulley and reinforcement ring to drill factory pulleys for 3 bolts until I got the RARE one.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
For sure they were used on all the early and mid-year 1969s. Then Pontiac switched to the 4.5" tall pump that was used up to the end.

From your pic, I looks to me like you have the 4" 1969 water pump with the fan pulley for a 4.5" 1970-up water pump.

Swapping to the later, 4.5" pump will move the grooves in the pulley forward 1/2", which is about what it looks like it is off now. Then the power steering belt can go onto the rear groove and the alternator onto the front groove.

Also, make sure to clearance the divider plate while you have it apart.

Good luck!

Ok thanks. Is there a ‘how to’ on the divider plate clearance? I’ve never done that before.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have another question. It’s kind of moot in this case because I bought the RARE billet 3-bolt crank pulley for the SuperDamper, but could I have just bought a new harmonic balancer that had the 4-bolt crank pulley holes, and ran the stock crank pulley, or would that have negatively impacted the balance of my engine?

Old 07-22-2023, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This photo shows the difference in the w/p snout length. The one on the left is from the RA3 when I disassembled it and the one on the right is what I took off the 428 this morning.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
I have another question. It’s kind of moot in this case because I bought the RARE billet 3-bolt crank pulley for the SuperDamper, but could I have just bought a new harmonic balancer that had the 4-bolt crank pulley holes, and ran the stock crank pulley, or would that have negatively impacted the balance of my engine?

Perfectly fine to do.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-22-2023, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To confirm that the taller water pump will work, temporarily install that used one with two bolts and put the water pump pulley on and see if the belts line up. I think you'll find that they do. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
The one on the left (4.5" tall) is from the RA3 when I disassembled it and the one on the right (4" tall) is what I took off the 428 this morning.