Old 11-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Slow Judge????

I've had my judge for 2 years now and she has a new engine and electronic ignition and clutch/pressure plate. Here is my question (hang with me as I have been a ford guy up to now) at 60 mph in 4th gear when you floor it do you get that pressed back in your seat feeling big time? Mine accelerates but I feel like it should be stronger. Thoughts??????

Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 AM

4th is a crusing gear imo. My car runs 11.40 at 118, and my 3rd gear (th400) doesn't feel all that impressive.

1980 Trans Am - Street/Strip 462
Best: 7.08@95 with 1.49 60' in the 1/8th. 11.17@119.8 in the 1/4. N/A, 3700 lbs, 3.42's, Pump Gas.

Admin of Pure Pontiac Powered Outlaws on Facebook.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 AM

If you want that pressed back in your seat feeling when floored, you need to down shift into 3rd gear then floor it. works for me.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What year? What engine? Trans?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam greg View Post
If you want that pressed back in your seat feeling when floored, you need to down shift into 3rd gear then floor it. works for me.
THIS ^^^^^

Old 11-07-2017, 02:01 PM

1969 400 engine with 4 speed

Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RAIV M-21 3:90...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Mine doesn't do that it is more like the beach boys song no-go showboat

Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are your secondaries opening on the carb?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might tell us more about your car/engine?

Are you mechanically inclined? How much do you know about the Pontiac engine?

Should be at least a RA III engine? 3.55 rear gear? What carb?

With the new engine and electronic ignition, possibly something isn't right?
What cam was used in the rebuild?

It should fell pretty good even in 4th gear when mashing the pedal.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's not a Judge, but my 1968 Lemans 350 H/O is bone stock except for 2.5 inch exhaust and a Pertronix kit in the original distributor, 124,000 miles and never rebuilt yet...my car is a 3 speed manual with 3:36 rear gears, and at around 50 or 60 mph, I drop it down to second gear, floor it and it goes like hell. About 20 years ago I had a 70 Judge, Ram Air 3, auto, AC car, and my Lemans I have now would beat my old Judge pretty easy. I had my carb rebuilt on my Lemans last year by a guy that used to drag race...he is a auto mechanic of 30 years also...he did some work with the advance on my distributor and total advance is 36 degrees...I also run straight 105 octane VP gas because my engine needs it because of the high compression. Most cars are not tuned to full potential, thats a fact. Luckily I have a guy that can squeeze maximum horsepower out of just about any engine...the guy amazing! Do some checking around for a mechanic like that...with a little tuning, you could easily add some h.p. Another thing I did was flip my stock air cleaner lid, added a Summit cloth air filter "K&N copy", changed to Synthetic engine oil, trans, and rear end, Dynomax mufflers with mandrel bent down tubes and tailpipes. If you want some tips go check out the F.A.S.T. guys. Factory appearing stock tire guys are running quarter mile times in the 9's, 10's and 11's on bias tires...some guys are pulling the front tires with these cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b62oOrX9HKs Heres a 68 Firebird... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qa27OVizag

Last edited by 300deluxe; 11-07-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like this will be one of those Judges getting a performance makeover? Carb matters...

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM

A little more background on the car. I am the 4th owner and it was in decent shape when I bought it. It is as I said my first Pontiac but I had and abused all other brands since 1964 when I started drag racing (Insert here I am an old guy). as soon as i got it I replaced the entire front suspension, radiator, water pump (not fun), lowered the car 1 1/2 inches complete exhaust, changed to 17 inch tires on cragar mags 255/50 zr17 in the rear. Now have disc brakes all around....lots of other things as well. It has stock gears as verified when I changed the rear end fluid. It had a small rear main leak that got worse as I started to drive it. Since I wasn't into pulling the engine I let it drip for about a year (keep in mind it sat in my garage 99.9% of that year). So I decide to address the leak and since old age was telling me I would pay a heavy price for doing it I put it on a trailer to a shop in Houston that has been featured on TV and does really good work. They pulled the engine replaced the sea;ls and all the lower bearings, (car has 89000 original miles as verified by the tons of documentation I have from the previous owners. they also checked condition of the rest of the motor and didn't feel anything needed replaced. They rebuilt the card Q-jet and checked my electronic ignition work. All was OK. So here is the end result ..in 4th gear doing 60 I floor it and it has a slight lag then the secondaries open which I feel and it accelerates just not as kick ass as I expected. Sorry for the long post but bottom line is I am happy with the car, she is fun to drive . Thanks again for all your responses

Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a nice Judge!

As was said, probably needs the air valve adjusted.
Probably the carb may need jetted correctly also.

Glad you said, the place was in Houston where you had the work done.
Hoping it wasn't Gas Monkey.

PS: Know Lloyd Coulson who's a member here also?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the new electronic ignition system getting enough juice for itīs design?
Most needs around 14volts to the coil.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 AM

No I don't know mr. coulson...As for Gas Monkey the only "TV" shop I would use would be Fantom works they have less scripted drama and do more repair than replace with sponsored products.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspro View Post
A little more background on the car. I am the 4th owner and it was in decent shape when I bought it. It is as I said my first Pontiac but I had and abused all other brands since 1964 when I started drag racing (Insert here I am an old guy). as soon as i got it I replaced the entire front suspension, radiator, water pump (not fun), lowered the car 1 1/2 inches complete exhaust, changed to 17 inch tires on cragar mags 255/50 zr17 in the rear. Now have disc brakes all around....lots of other things as well. It has stock gears as verified when I changed the rear end fluid. It had a small rear main leak that got worse as I started to drive it. Since I wasn't into pulling the engine I let it drip for about a year (keep in mind it sat in my garage 99.9% of that year). So I decide to address the leak and since old age was telling me I would pay a heavy price for doing it I put it on a trailer to a shop in Houston that has been featured on TV and does really good work. They pulled the engine replaced the sea;ls and all the lower bearings, (car has 89000 original miles as verified by the tons of documentation I have from the previous owners. they also checked condition of the rest of the motor and didn't feel anything needed replaced. They rebuilt the card Q-jet and checked my electronic ignition work. All was OK. So here is the end result ..in 4th gear doing 60 I floor it and it has a slight lag then the secondaries open which I feel and it accelerates just not as kick ass as I expected. Sorry for the long post but bottom line is I am happy with the car, she is fun to drive . Thanks again for all your responses
After all this, we still don't know the most important factor, what is the rear gear ratio? "Stock" doesn't help us.