Old 10-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default wiring harness question

If i got rid of all my electrical items in my car and only wanted electrical going to brake lights head lights, and my gauges like speedometer, tach,batt volts, fuel, h2o temp, oil psi, trans temp, fan, should i just make my own harness instead of buying a new one. could i just get rid of all the wires behind the dashboard and make it simple so that i know where my wires are and where they go. who has done this, and is it a good idea?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you can buy a "terminated fuseblock"from painless,or other aftermarket mfgr's,and build your own,i did it on my 57 chevy.Just make sure you draw up your own schematic as you go along,so you know what you did.Or, check out EZ-wire.com or keepitcleanwiring.com,they both have 12 circuit universal harnesses at probably the same price it would cost you to build your own.Won't comment on whether it's a good idea,it all depends on what you're trying to do with the car(race,street,show,etc.)

Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have decided to make the firebird a race car, i dont mean no 8 second car or anything, but i just dont see no reason in putting another $5-7k on paint and interior, when i can find another firebird, for the same price and have it as a daily driver/ street car.

I was looking at the Ez wiring website, i saw that you wrote about it on the other posts. Looks like what i want, only thing holding me back (other than money) is that i also want the car be street legal, like brake lights, headlights and such, and im not sure if those kits come with everything i need. Like i said before, i want to rip out all the wiring, (its just a real big mess behind the dash) and put aftermarket gauges and that's it, other than of course the alt, Hei, and lights, and elec. fan and if i want in the future an elec. water pump, and n20. am i asking for too much or is this available.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i am quite sure a 12 circuit harness will keep you street legal as far as lights go,but probably won't have all the other circuits you need.the 18 circuit($30 more)has elec fuel,fan, and a couple of circuits you won't need,like power windows,elec. choke,etc.You could either substitute these circuits for nitrous,water pump,or ask them to make some alterations(don't know if they have that capability,but I have called them for customer support,and it was excellent)Good luck.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks. Paint guy! i will shoot them an email. and give them a call

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind