THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Had a Wendy's Single Lately?

Normally when a fast food "restaurant" advertises a change in their core menu it's a disaster. I just had one of the new and improved hamburgers from Wendy's and it was pretty good. That gallon sized Frosty didn't hurt.............

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like thier burger n fries over BK and MD.
BK ice cream is 2nd to frosty's too.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What makes it new and improved? I haven't eaten at a Wendy's for probably six months so I assume I had the 'old' hamburger when I was there.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last time I had a Wendys single was about a year ago..... while eating it.... I said to myself... "Where's the beef?"

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont generally eat fast food. Havent had a Wendy's burger in years. I liked them the way they were. Wendys has to do something though, they are really hurting.

Chick Fil A just opened up here and I do have to say thats one tasty chicken sandwich. Had to try it once. And then again to make sure. And then today for lunch just to make sure I was right the first two times.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Around the time Wendy's changed their fried to uncut/seasalt, they changed the buns. They were like a soft kaiser. I've notice recently they've gotten rid of that soft kaiser and went back to their old potato bread bun of yore.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just had a Wendy's single for lunch today. Different wrapper with a box and tasted ok.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wendy's is the place i like to eat burgers. I went to a Wendy's in Montgomery Ala 2 weeks ago and the burger was salty as hell. Apparently they season them with salt as they are cooking but whoever cook this burger must have dumped the whole salt shaker on this thing. I have notice the smaller burger [value menu and double stack] have more meat which before they were pityful.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They used to repeatedly mess my order up. Single cheese w/ketchup, onion and mustard, cheese and bacon potato and a Frosty. Did you know when they mess up on the burger they can't just add the missing ingredient? Nope, throw it away and wait another two to three minutes. Or, "I'm sorry, we're out of potatoes", or "The Frosty machine is down for repairs". When I had to repeat my order two or three times so the poor english speaking person behind the counter could understand me, was close to the last time (four years ago). I don't miss it at all. My wife still goes on occasion (I can't convince her otherwise (another problem with America)).

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Fast food can taste so good. Every once
in awhile I enjoy a Whataburgere
(primarily in Texas) and we just
started getting In and Outs in the area.

Not to offend some people but
parents giving there children fast food
on a regular basis are crazy.

Child hood obesity is wheels off out
of control!!!
In my grade school back in the 70's er
there were only about 2-3 obese kidsew
in the school.
Now when I go to pick my kids up,
you see a ton of kids that are about
20-40 lbs over weight.

Almost every other tv commercial is
about a fast food or new snack food.

Fat is the new normal in America.

I still enjoy fast food but in moderation
but many parents don't practice that.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wendy's just went through an extensive study to figure out how to make their burgers better. One of the key things that caught my eye was that they changed how tightly they formed the burger pattys. Now they don't pack them as tight and they don't make them quite as square. Same amount of meat, but they appear bigger.

Last edited by R68GTO; 10-10-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: left out "don't"
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always liked them best (out of the big chains) for burgers AND fries. Haven't tried the new stuff, though.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

its awesome stuff....the burgers anyway...way better than the old ones, and heads above everyone elses...except maybe red robin...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the Mc Donalds Angus burger The other day and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

I've had a better burger but not from a fast food joint. Well maybe Braums?

Glen

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The new packaging method (laying on it's side in an open container) prevents the bun from getting soggy from condensation from the heat of the patty. It also allows the extra grease to run off. Darn good burger. That is the only chain/fast food we eat at, and that is only once per month or so.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Just had one (thanks to this thread).
The burger was better, but I didn't care for the half wrapper and box holding it.

I still like their new sea salt fries...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We stopped at steak&shake on the way home from Cordova. ordered a double with cheese. Couldn't hardly find the cheese.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked at Wendy's....about 33 years ago. The burgers were advertised as "hot & juicy" and we were trained to take them off the grill right when the pink was gone but before they got all dried out.

In recent PC years, they quietly dropped the "hot & juicy" advertising slogan and cooked them longer.....I guess to appear more health-conscious.

They recently resurrected the old "hot & juicy" slogan. I had one last week and I can say it was just like we used to do them 30+ years ago. They're also using Wendy Thomas in the commercial. Maybe she inherited a leadership role and is going to shake things up?

FYI: if the person running the grill gets too much meat on the grill and over-cooks them, they get sent to make chili. That's their method for enabling all burgers to be made fresh off the grill instead of sitting around.

Eric

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wendy's lost me as a customer for good when they changed their fries...

Cant stand the new fries,simple as that.

Same as BK fries,cant stand them either.

But I'll still have me a whopper from time to time,just no fries from them,I get the chicken tenders,that or I'll stop somewhere else and get fries there instead,LOL.

Honestly I never went to Wendy's for burgers in the first place,plenty of other places with a far better burger around here,the only sandwich I ate from Wendy's regularly was their spicy chicken sandwhich,those were good,but they seemed to be getting suspiciously smaller & smaller lately,and they were'nt necessarily a cheap sandwich to begin with either.

I heard they're going to redo those chicken sandwiches next,so I fully expect that to be a compete disaster as well.

Ask me Wendy's will soon be circling the drain as it's competitors gain market share,as that Co. is beng run into the ground by the same outfit that ran Arby's into the ground,then they had to sell off Arby's just to try and keep Wendy's afloat,IMO that outfit does'nt have a clue how to keep up with the current trends in the fast food business.

I stopped going to Arby's because the prices were getting absolutely crazy,I guess they had to pay for all the new & improved options they added to the menu somehow.
(not to mention the required equipment for such too)

But no way should a basic med. roast beef sandwich and large curly fries cost like $7.00+.

Yeah,somone mentioned Chick-fil-A,now I go there for their spicy chicken sandwich instead,and I really dig their waffle cut fries too,good place,fast service w/competent & friendly waitstaff,only downside with them is they are'nt open Sundays,but totally understand their reason for doing such,so I'm cool with that.

They've been sending out a bunch of coupons for free stuff lately,and that got me in their door,and lucky for them they made a very good impression IMO.

Someone else mentioned Whataburger earlier too,they're OK in my book,so I'll eat there from time to time,like their fries too,their fries are almost identical to McD's fries.

We got a Culver's close to us here too,got used to those up in Wisconsin when I lived there,so they get my burger business from time to time as well,and they got some absolutely kick @ss crinkle cut fries too!

For a "higher end" burger,we also got a Mighty Fine burgers pretty close too,freshly cut crinkle cut fries at that joint too,man those are good.

Lots of other really good burger places here too if you dont mind a short drive.

So me,I wont miss Wendy's @ all.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone notice that the new wendy's burger packaging resembles in-n-out? With the 1/2 wrapper?

I had one of the "new" burgers just last week, and it seemed marginally better than the old burgers. Nothing to write home about, but wendys scratches that itch for wendys. I like the old fries better, but the new fries are edible.