Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm
Default repro 65-6 gto 4 speed consoles

i was just lookin at parts places new repro console. hard to tell its abs plastic

Last edited by performerrpm; 12-09-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

I saw that. $400 for plastic, amazing. Probably made in China or Taiwan and cost them well under $100 to make. They jump the prices up so much on these parts to a point where they just take all the fun out of it. JMO

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

350 is kinda high but i guess when originals are going for 1500+ its better than nothing. i just wonder if the chrome is gonna be like that on the dashes and even on toy cars where after awhile it wheres and turns black? i think i may keep my original until i hear how well these work out then maybee take advantage of the prices there bringing. somehow it just dont seem right to have a plastic console though

Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Wow, Plastic? I don't know how that would work out if you didn't use a heat sheild, my console gets hot after a while. Wonder if they warp?

Plastic will be lighter. I'm using plastic grills even though I have good metal ones, just for the weight.

Larry

Old 12-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool News flash!!!

These are reasonable alternatives to the astronomical prices bestowed upon us by our fellow "hobbyists"! Too high? I'm not following here. Besides...there's always Gary's Goodies if you don't like this deal. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/newproducts.asp

1964-67 GTO / LEMANS 4-SPEED CONSOLE KIT

Quote:
We've now reproduced this factory 4-speed console. This kit will work on 64-67 cars, but is more correct for 1965 or 1966. In 1964 the top plate was painted blue between the ribs, and the shifter bezel was molded in the top plate. In 65-67 the bezel is removable. The 67's have wood grain on the top. This console kit is chrome show plated ABS plastic. The shifter bezel is pot metal. What you get in our 5 piece kit is the front chrome console, console door, console door housing, console hinge & shifter bezel. These key parts will convert any 64-67 GTO or LeMans automatic into a 4-speed. Parts you will need to supply off your old console or buy new are the lower plastic shell, the rear lamp lens and housing, and the console door lock. Those parts are the same for all 64 65 66 67 LeMans / GTO models with automatic or 4-speed. We have not reproduced the lower plastic.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 12-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's been one of the repros on eBay I've been following for about a week. I'm interested to see how far above the $400 actual price it goes.

I'd personally rather have a real one, but for the cost, I might grab a few auto consoles and convert them to 4sp.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 12-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that really is crazy, for that price you would think the bottom portion would come with it. It is not a matter of what the originals are going for in my opinion, it is more the fact that the mark up on these pieces are rediculous and for plastic mind you, not metal. I would rather find a good core on Ebay for $300-$400 and restore it myself. They are on there all year long, you just have to look. Even if it cost more in the long run it is metal and will be sure to last longer and be more durable.
Larry, you brought up a great point. That area does get hot and once the plastic gets hot, I would bet the chrome will start to crack and peel. I wouldn't count on these lasting very long. JMO

Ant

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is an original complete on Ebay now with 1 day left on it if anyone is interested, bid is up to two hundred and change currently.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT
There is an original complete on Ebay now with 1 day left on it if anyone is interested, bid is up to two hundred and change currently.
it will most likeley go for 5-600 at least. i got luckylast year and bought 4-5 of the 4 speed consoles then picked the nicest for mine then reflocked the rest and redyed and made a decent profit. best yet i sold one for was 1300 original chrome, i only paid 350-400 for each one. so far i havent found any at that price that wasnt to badly pitted

Old 12-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure I agree with the durability issues some raise. The repro plastic grills and tail light bezels seem to hold up quite well people report. Additionally, the grills save almost 15 lbs each and the pot metal console is quite heavy so the plastic should shave some pounds. One possible issue is how one mounts a vacuum gauge ? The gauge is quite heavy and exerts a fair amount of leverage on the console lid. Wonder if it can take it.

I'd like to seem them also make the tweaks necessary to support an automatic console. Why limit to 4 speed only. The chevelle / camaro guys have had nice repro consoles available for years.

As for the price, assuming the ribs have sharp contours and nicely done paint, it is not a trivial exercise. Given all of the components, if the kit is quality, I'd say the price is a deal.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ahh and just think back 15 years ago. when decent ones could be had for $100 and some change. talk about inflation

my cars
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if its not a cheap flimsy piece of plastic id say the 350 is a fair deal. if like jim doran says, i bet if it doesnt support the gauge to easily you could mount a small piece of plate under the console just to stiffen it up and support the gauge

Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think we should just be happy that someone is reproducing these parts. I have seen the glove box lid, and it is a good part. There are so many orignal bases with pitted tops, I can understand why they chose not to reproduce the bottom for now.
I don't expect durability to be an issue, as my console is not being used as a drink holder etc.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default repro 65-6 gto 4 speed consoles

If they have been able to achieve acceptable quality on this piece, I wonder why nobody seems to be able to produce the '65 tail panel(the ribbed piece between the TL bezels). I would think the potential market for the tail panel would be equal to or larger than the market for the console top.